House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mags

Buy-to-let Resurgence?

From today's Independent...

Bradford & Bingley, the UK's ninth-largest bank, said it had seen a strong resurgence in the buy-to-let market, achieving its highest-ever levels of gross lending to residential property investors during the second half of 2005.

Although the level of arrears among residential property investors doubled to more than 1 per cent over the year, Steven Crawshaw, the bank's chief executive, said yesterday this compared very favourably with the low point of other property cycles. "Although the fact that arrears have doubled looks quite exciting, these are still very smallnumbers," he said. "And we see buy-to-let arrears having hit their peak."

More here...

Any thoughts? :)

One word SIPPS :angry:

Two words SIPPS UTURN :lol:

Exactly:

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/property/mai...7/ixptop12.html

The souring of the inner-city dream has left a glut of empty, new-build apartments, affordable to few and situated in communities bereft of families. What now for the super-cool, urban living space that stands empty? Caroline McGhie reports on a
post-Sipps nightmare
As early as spring last year, residential analysts at the Savills estate agency were predicting that too many
new flats could swamp the market
. The figures tell the story. In 1999, about 17 per cent of homes being built were flats. By last year, this had soared to around 42 per cent and this year it went up again to 45 per cent.

As early as spring last year, residential analysts at the Savills estate agency were predicting that too many new flats could swamp the market.

LOL, the "analysts" only "predicted" it when the spivs in the sales offices couldn't find any more mugs to sell the ones they already had. Mind you then came SIPPS in a bottle mug juice :D

Edited by OnlyMe

As I said in an earlier post the number of properies up for rent in Bath has gone up by 100% since December. That does not sound like a healthy market if you aske me!!

How exactly do I get a job as an analyst. It seems a piece of p*ss to me. Just open your eyes.

Suspect that's because they're not really analysts - they're just mouthpieces to produce spin.

FF (principal business analyst)

From today's Independent...

"Although the fact that arrears have doubled looks quite exciting, these are still very smallnumbers," he said. "And we see buy-to-let arrears having hit their peak."

Any thoughts? :)

Yeah, he's blinkered. Talk about spinning the figures

massive over supply of btl flats in Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool etc begins to bite and there arn't enough punters to rent to

This is already happening IMO. How long can landlords hold on for, without any rental income or capital gains?

Landlords will hold out for as long as the 'dream' of capital gains remains.

All the VIs are still telling them that house prices are rising or static (at worst) hence no rush for the exit.

The mantra remains that property is a good bet in the long term.

When sentiment changes they will begin their rush for the exits.

My landlady bought her flat in 2003 and looking at what it could sell for now she has seen approximately NO capital appreciation :lol::lol::lol:

Landlords will hold out for as long as the 'dream' of capital gains remains.

All the VIs are still telling them that house prices are rising or static (at worst) hence no rush for the exit.

The mantra remains that property is a good bet in the long term.

When sentiment changes they will begin their rush for the exits.

My landlady bought her flat in 2003 and looking at what it could sell for now she has seen approximately NO capital appreciation :lol::lol::lol:

Professional investors get in early in the cycle and know when to sell. Its the Sheeple that get slaughtered trying to get in on the easy money as the market turns. Follow the herd and you end up in the slaughterhouse.

I wonder....

Is B&B lending to those turned away by the Portman & related companies, who no longer lend against new build BTL?

If so, could be taking share by taking on greater risk.

For this reason, figures from a single lender are not that interesting. It's a shame there are no figures capturing the whole BTL mortgage market (far as I know).