House Price Crash Forum

If I read the HBOS' release pattern right, their figures will be out tomorrow (if not Friday).

I almost can't bear the wait. If, and that is still an 'if', their figures show a fall, then we have both NW and HBOS reporting falls for October. We all know that prices are falling, but unless it makes it into the main lenders' figures, the public will not be convinced.

Important not to set your expectations for a fall, as this will cause you consternation if the report shows no change or a rise.

Far better to take in all the anecdotal evidence on this site;

* Personal experiences

* Stories from other members

* Press articles

* Council of Mortgage lenders

* NAEA

* RICS

* Reduced and No chain all over the local papers

and know that whatever the HBOS report says, prices are falling.

I made this mistake with last but one set of Natiowide figures and was genuinely upset for a couple of days.

Does anyone think that they might discuss a draft with the government/BOE, or is totaly independent. Also, do the BOE receive requests from the government to raise/decrease rates. I imagine it is lots of conversations between senior civil servants in wood panelled offices, or maybe I have watched to many re-runs of 'Yes Minister'.

according to past historical trends in HBOS data, they will be reducing their NSA price to get to a SA price for october....question is, by how much. october 03 was reduced by 1%! average abuot 5% reduction....the only other time they added to the price was in early 90's. hmmm, I wonder what was happening in the early 90's...I just can't imagine!

I'm hearing Halifax numbers won't be out until Monday.

Surely the BOE will have some advance info on what is coming?. If not as a BOE member I would have to say that they do not want me to know. If they do not want me to know then it must be a rise in prices (which if I had known, would have made me more inclined to raise rates).

Or I may just be reading something that is not there. Look out they are watching you! :ph34r:

I think HBOS/NW's figures are rubbish, but I don't think that there is a conspiracy to manipulate the BoE. Halifax normally issue on the first Wednesday or Friday in a month, so the figures would normally be due tomorrow. Maybe they don't want them buried in the news about the US elections tomorrow. If it's a fall, I would actually like it if they waited until next Monday.

Good point. There is a danger that, like the lying govt who try and "bury" bad newsflow, that the Halifax figures, if they are negative for the housing market, will be buried under an avalanche of US election mania. If that is the case, I also hope they issue on Monday for maximum impact. That is a lot of "ifs", however.

What makes people here think that the MPC would be influenced by the HBOS/NW stats if it is so well known that the stats are supposedly manipulated and a lie?

If the crash has already started and can't be stopped, why would anyone here care about the interest rates anyway? Unless of course people here think interest rates need to go up because they don't really think a crash has started and some help is needed...

The bears want to be proved right and higher interest rates will tend to speed up the crash.

Also, its human nature, we are all impatient once we have made our minds up .... lets get on with it (the crash that is).

A crash will give people the opportunities they have been waiting for (in some cases, they have been waiting a long time). Again its human nature, as we all have our own interests at heart, bears and bulls alike.

;)

"What makes people here think that the MPC would be influenced by the HBOS/NW stats if it is so well known that the stats are supposedly manipulated and a lie? "

It is well-known on this board how the figures are compiled and how they are open to manipulation. However, an awareness of the lack of credibility of the HBOS/NW among the posters of this board and the wider population are two very different things.

If I read the HBOS' release pattern right, their figures will be out tomorrow (if not Friday).

I almost can't bear the wait.  If, and that is still an 'if', their figures show a fall, then we have both NW and HBOS reporting falls for October.  We all know that prices are falling, but unless it makes it into the main lenders' figures, the public will not be convinced.

Any falls will be accompanied by the reassurance that ''this is a temporary blip''....

and ''now is an excellent opportunity to buy''.........both of which were churned out by the vested interests during the early 90s slump