House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dpg50000

Council Tax Handout For Pensioners Abolished

Gordon Brown's cynical pre-election bribe to pensioners last year (£200 refund to any household with at least one person over 65) won't be repeated this year. It's been quietly dropped - pg. 10 of todays Daily Express.

No surprise there - hopefully the Grey vote will see Labour hammered in the local elections.

Funny, you'd have thought Labour would have been desperate to keep them onside - Gordon's budget problems are obviously far, far worse than he's admitting.

Gordon Brown's cynical pre-election bribe to pensioners last year (£200 refund to any household with at least one person over 65) won't be repeated this year. It's been quietly dropped - pg. 10 of todays Daily Express.

No surprise there - hopefully the Grey vote will see Labour hammered in the local elections.

Funny, you'd have thought Labour would have been desperate to keep them onside - Gordon's budget problems are obviously far, far worse than he's admitting.

Been telling my mam (63) and Dad (66) what a bellend GB is, and how inept he is at running this countries economy. I have been getting back - DONT GO CONSERVATIVE they ruined this country in the 80's!!!

I have just told her about his reversal.

HER REPLY!!!

THE B@STARD!!!!

:)

Another one turned :)

No surprise there - hopefully the Grey vote will see Labour hammered in the local elections

Regardless of what happens regarding a HPC or the economy, the grey vote is going to be the end of NuLabour when they try council tax rebranding. We have so far had the odd one willing to go to gaol (treated by her fellow in-mates as something of a folk hero I believe), this number will drastically increase. Add in a few other groups (low income family for instance), all refusing to pay and voila' - if ID cards aren't NuLabours Poll Tax, council tax will be.

Why should ALL pensioners aged over 60 (e.g. Joan Collins and Baroness Thatcher being two examples!) get a £200 handout to pay for their council tax:

(a) most of them own their own homes (i.e. no mortgage or rent to pay) and have benefitted big time from the massive rise in house prices

(B) they use far more local services than young people

© many are far better off than young families etc who are up to their eyes in debt and have to pay big mortgages

(d) many have retired far too early placing a massive drain on pension schemes and leaving young people to meet the bill. The same young people who will receive worse pension benefits and have to retire much later

I am not denying that there are some pensioners in real poverty but the benefit system could be designed so they never get a council tax bill in the first place!

This country (and young people who don't vote) have to wake up - we cannot continue featherbedding pensioners under the age of 70! Lets save our scarce resources for those who need it i.e. the over 80s!

Why should ALL pensioners aged over 60 (e.g. Joan Collins and Baroness Thatcher being two examples!) get a £200 handout to pay for their council tax:

(a) most of them own their own homes (i.e. no mortgage or rent to pay) and have benefitted big time from the massive rise in house prices

(B) they use far more local services than young people

© many are far better off than young families etc who are up to their eyes in debt and have to pay big mortgages

(d) many have retired far too early placing a massive drain on pension schemes and leaving young people to meet the bill. The same young people who will receive worse pension benefits and have to retire much later

I am not denying that there are some pensioners in real poverty but the benefit system could be designed so they never get a council tax bill in the first place!

This country (and young people who don't vote) have to wake up - we cannot continue featherbedding pensioners under the age of 70! Lets save our scarce resources for those who need it i.e. the over 80s!

a. How have they benefited from the massive rise in house prices? You only realise the benefit if and when you sell - you can't eat the increase in the value of your house and pensions haven't kept pace with inflation. What about those pensioners who don't own their own homes but still have to pay council tax?

b. Like all sweeping generalisations, this is rubbish. A young family with a couple of kids in school uses far more local services.

c. See b. There are many pensioners living in abject poverty with no prospect of increasing their income unlike younger people.

d. Ever heard of envy?