House Price Crash Forum

Swindon V. Reading

pobby

HOLA441

Thinking of moving back to near my home town of Reading.Reading is sooooooooooooo pricey not to mention pretty grotty.Just down the motorway lies Swindon which I can afford more readily.Now it was always said that Reading is closer to london hence higher prices.However the sharp price difference is quite marked so I wondered if any HPCers had any thoughts?

HOLA442
Guest Winners and Losers

Its only 30mins on the train from Swindon. I used to travel, along with many others, from Chippenham to London to work each day. Reading is grotty. Go Swindon.

Thinking of moving back to near my home town of Reading.Reading is sooooooooooooo pricey not to mention pretty grotty.Just down the motorway lies Swindon which I can afford more readily.Now it was always said that Reading is closer to london hence higher prices.However the sharp price difference is quite marked so I wondered if any HPCers had any thoughts?

HOLA443

I do not think Reading is grotty - but I grew up in bedford.....

Swindon I suspect is more industrial/grotty than reading. Less high paid jobs in Technology and the Pru do not have a base there....

HOLA444
Guest Winners and Losers

Well, there you go then. What do I know! Swindon is a bit grotty too I agree.

I do not think Reading is grotty - but I grew up in bedford.....

Swindon I suspect is more industrial/grotty than reading. Less high paid jobs in Technology and the Pru do not have a base there....

HOLA445
HOLA446

We don't need your sort in Reading!!

Place of my birth, never been outside the outskirts, never needed to, yada yada yada etc What's wrong with liking your cousins eh?

It is pricey, over pricey! But not for much longer, we can hope.

As to Swindon...... Why not Slough??! That's even nearer to London AND grottier!

Frank

HOLA447

We don't need your sort in Reading!!

Place of my birth, never been outside the outskirts, never needed to, yada yada yada etc What's wrong with liking your cousins eh?

It is pricey, over pricey! But not for much longer, we can hope.

As to Swindon...... Why not Slough??! That's even nearer to London AND grottier!

Frank

HOLA448
HOLA449

I like Reading - seems a bit unfair to call it grotty and then consider Swindon! Reading is better located for road connections to other towns with decent employment (Bracknell, Slough, Windsor, Basingstoke etc).

HOLA4410

Nice one Frank.Is Reading getting a bit inbreed.From what you say,the attitude is a bit like here in Plymouth.The world ends @ the A38! Well I for one have done a fair bit of moving around----even my family say that Reading is not the greatest place to live.Sometimes it takes about an hour to get from Early{where I last lived}to Tilehurst and that isnt even in the rush hour.

Ahhhhh,and the joys of Oxford Road,what a loverly place that has become------not!Any way,as an old Ashmead boy I sure dont find Whitley my first choice of destination!

HOLA4411

Where will you be working?

If you do move to Swindon, remember to avoid to four P's! (Penhill, Pinehurst, Park North and Park South).

HOLA4412

I've lived in Swindon for nearly 8 years and it aint all bad. But it is the butt of many jokes. The main problem is that it lacks a river through the middle, or any reason to be in its centre after the shops close - apart from the many drinking warehouses that have opened in recent years.

On the plus side, a lot of investment into the town is/has taken place. e.g.:

http://www.newswindon.co.uk/

http://www.mcarthurglen.com/centres/home.cfm?centre=swindon

http://www.steam-museum.org.uk/

http://www.bath.ac.uk/swindon/

http://www.swindonsda.co.uk

http://www.swindon-gateway.co.uk

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I've lived in Swindon for nearly 8 years and it aint all bad. But it is the butt of many jokes. The main problem is that it lacks a river through the middle, or any reason to be in its centre after the shops close - apart from the many drinking warehouses that have opened in recent years.

Apparently, there used to be a canal through the middle of Swindon, but the council had it filled in so they could build more roads and roundabouts.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Nice one Frank.Is Reading getting a bit inbreed.From what you say,the attitude is a bit like here in Plymouth.The world ends @ the A38! Well I for one have done a fair bit of moving around----even my family say that Reading is not the greatest place to live.Sometimes it takes about an hour to get from Early{where I last lived}to Tilehurst and that isnt even in the rush hour.

Ahhhhh,and the joys of Oxford Road,what a loverly place that has become------not!Any way,as an old Ashmead boy I sure dont find Whitley my first choice of destination!

Ex Ashmead boy eh?! :) I'm an ex Bulmershe boy for my sins, which are splendid and plenty!

Bought my first house off the Oxford Rd, about 25 years ago. Wasn't so bad then, now it seems like it's full of dealers, crack houses and brothels. So, all in all, quite a respectable area.

I don't think Whitley is anywhere near as bad as it was, and I know plenty of Whitley/Ashmead boys who have very nicely thankyou. Even the whiff seems to have disappeared! I live(d) in Woodley, very upmarket dontcha know n like.

Prices are still mental, but those empty life-statements (appartments) in the town centre will soon be changing hands with heavy losses soon I reckon.

Like I said, how about Slough..... Come friendly bombs etc etc

BR

Frank

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

It isn't that bad, you are right. I wonder where Shakerbaby lives then in order to draw the comparison?

Must be near a SexToysRUs...

It's always interesting you find out that someone lives and smile when you find out it's Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea!

I wonder how long Reading will stay OK once the economic downturn starts to bite....

HOLA4421

quote.....

`Swindon V. Reading

Any ideas?`

unquote.

Swindon 2 Reading 2 (score draw)

Hope this helps.

horace :D

Your avin' a larf aren't you? Reading top of the championship, Swindon bottom of league 1 and you think it would be a score draw! :P

HOLA4422

Many bits of Reading are VERY grotty :( but there are actually some quite nice parts, e.g. Winnersh, University, North Woodley, Twyford, etc... but it is a bit pricey.

Any reason it must be one of those two towns? Train fare to London from Swindon is pricey compared to from Reading!

There are places near Reading that are less pricey but not too grotty. e.g. Sandhurst, Yateley, etc.

BTW There is this very annoying and ongiong cr*p about Reading wanting "City Status".

Reading is not and doesn't deserve to be and hopefully never will be classed as a "city"!

For more info, see this thread...

HPC forum

Edited by FedupTeddiBear

HOLA4423

For my sins, I live just outside of Swinedon.

It's not the most inspiring place, but it does at least have (relatively) low crime; the local chavs are just comical rather than threatening (mind you, I'm comparing them to Glaswegian neds). I wouldn't want to live here if I was under 30, I don't think there's much to do...the fact that there's no university means that there's not a lot of quality girlies around either.

Reading strikes me as much the same, only you get to pay London prices. :unsure:

HOLA4424

It's not the most inspiring place, but it does at least have (relatively) low crime; the local chavs are just comical rather than threatening (mind you, I'm comparing them to Glaswegian neds). I wouldn't want to live here if I was under 30, I don't think there's much to do...the fact that there's no university means that there's not a lot of quality girlies around either.

Reading strikes me as much the same, only you get to pay London prices. :unsure:

For its sins, there is actually quite a lot to do in Reading, and there is a university.

The quality of the chavs, however, is questionable and there are LOTS of them. There are quite a few nasty ones about - "happy slapping", muggings and drug - related incidents are often all over the local rag.

HOLA4425

Hmmm - I reckon you must be my nextdoor neighbour, Leodhasach!

Swindon is an unusual place. In many ways its like a northern industrial town (not saying thats a bad thing). This is probably the legacy of the train building industry. There's lots of nice countryside around Swindon, much nicer than Reading IMHO, and the surrounding area is far less populated. The transport links are great, especially by road, with easy access to the midlands and the north. I've lived near both towns and for me, the Swindon area is infinitely better. The Reading area is just SO busy. You can't even nip out for a paper on a Sunday moring without getting stuck in a traffic queue.