Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Irish Economy Booming At A Frenzied Pace

http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews.htm?a...rollingnews.htm

More jobs growth, more immigration ahead

Thursday, February 16 14:47:58

(BizWorld)

Irish jobs growth of late has been "exceptional" and will continue to grow
, with huge numbers of immigrants needed to satisfy the market, the latest report from Austin Hughes, Chief Economist with IIB Bank said today.
The latest data from the Quarterly National Household Survey reveals that
employment was up by 87,000 or 4.7pc in 2005.

Frantic homebuyers desperate to buy whatever comes onto the market to get in while they can.

Poor migrants from England keeping the economy booming?

Since joining this forum Ive been exasperated with perma - bears who only ever see gloom.

Ive always argued there are opportunities in real estate, and yet again whilst the perma - bears have fretted another real estate market has rocketed.

Sure we've all made good returns from equities but the perma - bears perhaps also should have been exposed to real estate in appropriate locations.

Same thinmg will happen to the perma - bears in the next 24 months. WHILST YOU POUR OVER THE GLOOM BIG PROFITS WILL BYPASS YOU.

A freind has just bought 30 flats in Glasgow at £30000 eash - I mean £30000!!

You need to learn about Human nature freinds.

Since joining this forum Ive been exasperated with perma - bears who only ever see gloom.

Ive always argued there are opportunities in real estate, and yet again whilst the perma - bears have fretted another real estate market has rocketed.

Sure we've all made good returns from equities but the perma - bears perhaps also should have been exposed to real estate in appropriate locations.

Same thinmg will happen to the perma - bears in the next 24 months. WHILST YOU POUR OVER THE GLOOM BIG PROFITS WILL BYPASS YOU.

nd waht deos taht proove doogbox? [sic]

That prices have plummeted, or parts of Glasgow are sh1tholes?

In case you hadn't noticed, the UK housing market is not a monolith - trends start in the south, and move north.

Its not gloom its simple economics.

Lets put it this way If I earn 50k per annum and my credit was 55k in debt you would say I was not living to my means.

That is precisley the current situation the UK economy is now in its vastly over streched its means therefore purchasing/investing in the UK is a no brainer until a sharp correction is in place. This will happen due to a global rise in IR that the UK will not be able to resist due to the threat of inflation rising and stirling tanking. I shall concede looking further afield does raise possibilities of making money out of property and equities (if you knowwhat your doing) but for me I am staying UK perma-bear the risks are simply way to high for any short term profit.

I beg to differ.

As I "pour over the gloom" I have found it has helped to avoid substantial (potential) losses whilst keeping me informed about new investment areas.

At this point I can see no return from property that couldnt be had (risk free) from a good savings account.

Many of these returns are because there is a lack of faith in the housing/property investment market.

As a purely financial investment, property is a dead-duck.

That said, everyones gotta live somewhere - so I dont see a "collapse" in house values.

I do however see some softening on prices and a harder attitude from buyers leading to lower valuations.

In fact, its already happening.

Its not gloom its simple economics.

Lets put it this way If I earn 50k per annum and my credit was 55k in debt you would say I was not living to my means.

That is precisley the current situation the UK economy is now in its vastly over streched its means therefore purchasing/investing in the UK is a no brainer until a sharp correction is in place. This will happen due to a global rise in IR that the UK will not be able to resist due to the threat of inflation rising and stirling tanking. I shall concede looking further afield does raise possibilities of making money out of property and equities (if you knowwhat your doing) but for me I am staying UK perma-bear the risks are simply way to high for any short term profit.

My point is I lurked on this site ages and the same perma - bears who mocked those hunting alternative investments abroad 2 years ago, now look like right plonkas, as such places have in some cases doubled in that time. Same old same old.

The perma bears have banged on for 4 years about interest rate rises, inverted yiled curves and the effect the US economy is about to wreak on the world, whilst in the meantime those of a less bearish nature build profits in Ireland, the USA, Europe et al. Many such areas were dismissed by the perma - bears, thats why theyre perma - bears.

this is shitforbrains dogbreath's new insult. he cant rile us any more by calling us 'nervous FTBs', because only a complete idiot would be buying right now, so 'nervousness' doesn't come in to it. He think's he's being clever, and that he has 'invented a new word - "permabears"'. What he's actually doing is showing yet again, what a complete and utter nobendd he is.

By the way, dogbrains, you didn't answer my question. Does your retarded 'friend' want to buy a dancing frog? I've also got a singing duck and some magic beans. oh, and a bridge across the Thames I can let him have for a few mill.

I beg to differ.

As I "pour over the gloom" I have found it has helped to avoid substantial (potential) losses whilst keeping me informed about new investment areas.

At this point I can see no return from property that couldnt be had (risk free) from a good savings account.

Many of these returns are because there is a lack of faith in the housing/property investment market.

As a purely financial investment, property is a dead-duck.

That said, everyones gotta live somewhere - so I dont see a "collapse" in house values.

I do however see some softening on prices and a harder attitude from buyers leading to lower valuations.

In fact, its already happening.

Missing my point. Look, the perma - bears have for example continually dismissed Irish real estate, yet that very ionvestment has proved spectaculor.

The moral; Dont let the gloom take over your mind.

Missing my point. Look, the perma - bears have for example continually dismissed Irish real estate, yet that very ionvestment has proved spectaculor.

Its knowing when to get out--that is the key. Buy low, but..........................sell high. Most investors stay in too long and get caught in the downdraft.

Easily done – 2 years ago my Irish friend built a house and rented his old one out – I tried to talk him out of it – he has made a mint. He is now out to buy another although he can hardly afford what he has got – the question now is when to get out- like most other bulls he probably will not sell and lose the lot – being happy with half a fortune is better than going all or nothing

Easily done – 2 years ago my Irish friend built a house and rented his old one out – I tried to talk him out of it – he has made a mint. He is now out to buy another although he can hardly afford what he has got – the question now is when to get out- like most other bulls he probably will not sell and lose the lot – being happy with half a fortune is better than going all or nothing

The big question is knowing when to quit. Gambling on property is no different to any other commodity. You have to set yourself a target and when its reached get out. Quit while you are ahead. Timing the top is impossible so now might be a good time to sell as the herd still sees prices rising for another year.

Its knowing when to get out--that is the key. Buy low, but..........................sell high. Most investors stay in too long and get caught in the downdraft.

Its also knowing when to buy, and thats been the core of my argument since joining.

None of the veteran mega bears for example bought in Ireland 3 years ago. I recall bulls argueing good profits were to be had in Ireland and the US but the perma - bears thought they knew better with thier inverted yield curves and Dollar Bond graphs.

What mistakes are the perma bears repeating right now?

Its also knowing when to buy, and thats been the core of my argument since joining.

None of the veteran mega bears for example bought in Ireland 3 years ago. I recall bulls argueing good profits were to be had in Ireland and the US but the perma - bears thought they knew better with thier inverted yield curves and Dollar Bond graphs.

What mistakes are the perma bears repeating right now?

Now that we are at the end of the boom cycle it is clearly the time to not buy--or better, to sell if you can. My guess is that it will be time to be a bull after the bubble has deflated by whatever percentage you think signals a buy. As things stand, most would say we are at the top of the market now with only mugs getting in. Ireland? Who knows--if I owned there I would be selling right about now and banking my profits.

The Moral - I understand and agree - negativity leads to powerlessness.

On another note Investment in property in Ireland has been good.

It could even be "great" if people knew when to sell. (You dont make money buying things...)

However, having some personal experience of this market I can tell you that people are buying property with huge amounts of debt. Most of them would never take on this just for the rental yield - they believe prices will continue to rise, so they buy in, reduce supply and therefore increase prices.

I know of people in their late-20s who are (only now) thinking of buying a house to let.

"Someone else pays the mortgage" and you just sit back and let the HPI make you rich.

No mention here of course, that a house increasing from 100k to 150k in one year is still a 100k debt - unless you sell it.

People in Ireland have still not figured this out.

Its a self-fulfilling upward spiral that will eventually invert and spiral downwards.

99% of the people will not get out in time and will be saddled with debt for their whole lives just servicing the interest. (120% mortgages are not unheard of!) As rates rise in Euroland we should begin to hear the first pips squeaking.....

(Little joke - The Irish housing market is not built on sand, its built on poles! :D)