House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

9,473,000 People Of Working Age In Britain Without A Job

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.j.../ixcitytop.html

New Labour's record on jobs has been slammed after data showed a sharp rise in unemployment and a record number of long-term jobless.
Almost 9.5m, or one in four of Britons of working age, do not have a job.
Philip Hammond: 'Labour's policies have not delivered'
Business groups urged the Government to overhaul its welfare-to-work schemes after it emerged that thousands of young people are failing to find a job, while a record number of pensioners are being forced back into work.
Official figures showed that the
unemployment rate jumped by 123,000 - 8.7pc - last year
, the biggest annual increase since the tail-end of the last recession in 1993. But the 1.5m people classified as unemployed are dwarfed by the 7.95m people of working age classed as economically inactive - the highest total since records began in 1971.

read the bbc website, much more happier news - unemployment went down!

They have been spinning the news so much lately that the resultant dizziness has made them a little confused. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm pretty sure most of them are 'working' ;)

that's a big loss of revenue to the economy - maybe we'll see a tightening of labour laws in conjunction with ID cards to give the Inland Revenue a chance to recoup the losses.

Apparently my non-working wife raising our kids comes into the 9 million. They count absolutely everyone who is of working age but who isn't doing a conventional job.

It sounds like a useful way of comparing employment levels between countries, but then I think of Chinese firms with thousands of 'employees' who never go near the firm, and Japanese 'lift ladies' whose job is to press lift buttons all day....

Unemployment is a slippery thing to get hold of, especially when the govt is judged by it - so incentivised to fiddle the figures.

that's a big loss of revenue to the economy - maybe we'll see a tightening of labour laws in conjunction with ID cards to give the Inland Revenue a chance to recoup the losses.

hard to believe 1 in 4 of working age doesn't

i'm surprised they don't tax us more

I would like to know how many job are for looking after the unemployed and unable to work - sack them and it would probably be 2 in 4 out of work

Add that with Public sector 'workers'

and those layabouts who loiter on internet what sites all day

oops

Edited by Sisyphus

Apparently my non-working wife raising our kids comes into the 9 million. They count absolutely everyone who is of working age but who isn't doing a conventional job.

It sounds like a useful way of comparing employment levels between countries, but then I think of Chinese firms with thousands of 'employees' who never go near the firm, and Japanese 'lift ladies' whose job is to press lift buttons all day....

Unemployment is a slippery thing to get hold of, especially when the govt is judged by it - so incentivised to fiddle the figures.

I believe that the economy is going down the pan, but I also agree with rockdoctor that it is ridiculous to assume that both parents have to work in a 'normal' family. There are now more and more articles etc about the damage being done to children in average childcare facilities.

9,473,000 before the economy goes really t!ts up!

I wonder what it'll get to....

Brucie, "9,473,000 its a bit of a middle number..."

*audience shouts "HIGHER"*

play_cards1.jpg

Almost 9.5m, or one in four of Britons of working age, do not have a job.

Yes goverment is cooking the books big time and they do the same with the number of immigrants flooding the UK.

Do jobs we don't like and skill's shortage :lol::):lol::) my a$$

Let's have more black MP's i thinks

Add that with Public sector 'workers'

What sort of comment is that? Do you mean Doctor's, nurses, the armed forces getting killed abroad, social workers working under appalling conditions for a pittance sorting out the mess caused by our society.

Take your pick.

What sort of comment is that? Do you mean Doctor's, nurses, the armed forces getting killed abroad, social workers working under appalling conditions for a pittance sorting out the mess caused by our society.

Take your pick.

why dont you mention whitehall staff and paper pusher in your local/central government offices. what about consultants getting paid well above the european average salary or GPs getting paid most in the europe.