House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OzzMosiz

Economics Books

Started reading this book recently - it really opens your eyes to the possibilities of the future!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/184112691...5Fencoding=UTF8

Yea Ive read it, got it off ebay. A lot of it is now out in the general media etc about its predictions and I had read before on the board (dollar collapse etc), so not sure Id recommend it as a buy in some senses. I didnt find it offered much in the way of how the future global economy would work, or potentional problems China might face, it was more a case of China will rule the world and everyone else will decline. This might be true and most likely their will be a readjusment but I still cant help believing as with most analysis on these areas it remains over-bearish. There economic argument was based on purely labour costs rather than innovation and other areas that have a major impact i.e. labour is cheap China will rule the world.

In this sense it gave me the impression that the authors were regurgiating others theories etc rather than actually understanding the issues and didnt have much in the way of using their understanding to offer some real light on the future, such as how to address western pension problems or how to compete with China. Also there investment advice was to sell up, move into gold and non USD currency that was about it from what I remember, which Im still to be convinced fully about.

Therefore I dont think I could recommend most HPCs to buy this as you can pick up the gist from a few months of this board. IT does provide a good summary though and you can get through the book quickly,and its straight forward, clear and well written so in that sense Id recommend it

If govenments can't centrally plan - how can this guy know what's going to happen?

There are too many parameters (ie peoples emotions) to consider in a complex consumption envionment

If govenments can't centrally plan - how can this guy know what's going to happen?

There are too many parameters (ie peoples emotions) to consider in a complex consumption envionment

I thought it was well written and not TOO bearish. A great deal of the evidence it puts forward is not open for debate, but is fact, eg aging populations of western countries.

Rather than saying this and that WILL happen it attempts to arm the reader with the possibilities of what might well happen, but that the general population is totally unaware of.

I also enjoyed the overview history lesson it gave.

James.