House Price Crash Forum
Pete95

House Prices Up 3rd Month In A Row!

Guest The_Oldie

I wonder whos figures thats based on, even Halifax hasnt shown increases for the last 3 months?

That will be be RICS...

After suffering 15 consecutive months of falls up to October, RICS said that more of its members reported rising house prices at the beginning of the year, the positive balance of 9 per cent marginally higher than the 8 per cent recorded in December.

Funny, I don't recall seeing them report the 15 months of consecutive falls on a monthly basis over the 15 month period :rolleyes:.

Guest boredwaiting

That will be be RICS...

Funny, I don't recall seeing them report the 15 months of consecutive falls on a monthly basis over the 15 month period :rolleyes:.

Regardless it's showing that the market is picking up and with yet another upswing it is increasingly unlikely that there will be a crash. My guess now is that it will just keep swinging up and down and average at either zero inflation or just over..... A bad situation but house prices are not dropping whatever the fundamentals are.

Guest boredwaiting

I wouldn't stress about it...

this crash is gonna happen when the majority aren't expecting it... <_<

I hope that you are right - i just can't see it happening...

I wouldn't stress about it...

this crash is gonna happen when the majority aren't expecting it... <_<

"Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors said today. The measure is adjusted for seasonal swings.

The property market revived after the Bank of England lowered its benchmark interest rate a quarter point in August. The bank said yesterday house-price gains are bolstering consumer spending, helping economic growth rebound from a 13-year low. "

How stupid are people....a quater point decrease and everything is rosy in the garden?

If we are going to ignore fundamentals then we are going to ignore the largest economy in the world which is currently raising IR and will continue to do so.

This will put a lot of pressure on the pound though I can see this continuing until we have squeezed every last morsel out of our screwed up economy making the inevitable consequences that much worse for the suckers dragged into unservicable debt.

The consumer is going ot pay for this big time.

You have already quoted the fundamentals so you can clearly see a problem?

If you think the British goverment can prevent the economic shock thats going to happen then you may as well join the party.

Our consumer debt is just shy of 1.2 trillion pounds and is more than the country produces per anum coupled with the fact the worlds largest economy is in an interest rate hike cycle (cos its fooked also).....those are the fundamentals which cannot and will not be ignored forever.

Our consumer debt is just shy of 1.2 trillion pounds and is more than the country produces per anum coupled with the fact the worlds largest economy is in an interest rate hike cycle (cos its fooked also).....those are the fundamentals which cannot and will not be ignored forever.

It does seem however that the government will do everything in its power to maintain high house prices. I agree with all the arguements about prices being unsustainable, but exactly how long will this unsustainable situation continue??

I mean if things continue like they are, then everything comes crashing in 10years time then I might as well go out and buy now, Im not prepared to wait that long. :(

It does seem however that the government will do everything in its power to maintain high house prices. I agree with all the arguements about prices being unsustainable, but exactly how long will this unsustainable situation continue??

I mean if things continue like they are, then everything comes crashing in 10years time then I might as well go out and buy now, Im not prepared to wait that long. :(

I agree with you I believe they are milking the every last drop they can get and you may be right we could be a way off (IMO I think not) the longer this goes on and the more they shirk their responsibility to tackle the imbalance in the economy the worse it will be for all of us when the inevitable occurs.

I'm giving up on the expectation of a HPC for the foreseeable future.

It's every man/woman for themself.

Save hard. Invest wisely. Only buy something you can save a reasonable amount on the side (after repayments) and something you can live in for 5 years+.

That's my credo. ;)

Even modifying for RICS VI spin, it seems clear that there has been a spring back in sentiment following increased mortgage approvals.

The comments in the RICS report have improved in sentiment significantly over the last few months. It also chimes with what I know from people who are buying and selling - there is a lot more comfort now that a crash won't happen and activity has picked up significantly.

This quote from an RICS agent says it all for me:

“This time last year the media were

reporting an anticipated collapse of the

housing market which in particular

stemmed the flow of first time

purchasers. This year we do not have the

irresponsible doom and gloom reporting.

The first time purchaser has returned to

the market place and the demand

generally is steadily on the increase.”

I personally believe this will be a short-term bounce in sentiment. What do other people think? How long will such a bounce in sentiment last for? If it is the last gasp from the bulls it could be quite a 12-18 months prolonged bounce though?

"I personally believe this will be a short-term bounce in sentiment. What do other people think? How long will such a bounce in sentiment last for? If it is the last gasp from the bulls it could be quite a 12-18 months prolonged bounce though?"

Its all linked to the quater point IR reduction IMO this has given back the feel good factor in something that in reality is on its last legs (again IMO but sanity does not seem to prevail in modern economic Britain).

However if the rest of the financial world is increasing IR,s which they are of course where does that leave the UK if we don,t?

Perhaps we could have a new show presented by Kirsty....inflation inflation inflation :lol:

I'm giving up on the expectation of a HPC for the foreseeable future.

It's every man/woman for themself.

Save hard. Invest wisely. Only buy something you can save a reasonable amount on the side (after repayments) and something you can live in for 5 years+.

That's my credo. ;)

If only I could find one reason to agree with you I'd sprout them out.

Once again what about -

debt personal and national.

housing affordability

oil / gas and lack of home supply.

pension troubles.

Strike threats.

lack of employment / rising unemployment.

insolvencies, liquidation and profit warnings every week from major players. Especially home based products.

Countrywide's 30 year slump.

Iraq.

Iran and it's oil trading in non- U.S. dollars that will lead to another war - costly business.

Russia.

China.

India.

and every crash that people denied in the past.

And lastly that it's already happening and we're on the downhill slope already.

And if a 15 months downward trend isn't enough for you watch this space, I can't see it being a whole bunch better in any hurry.

Edited by music man

House Prices Up 3rd Month In A Row!, According to BBC Radio 1 this morning....

Yeah, and the sound of a group of drug dealers wittering unintelligibly, over the noise of roadworks, about how great mysogeny and firearms are, is music... according to Radio 1. So I won't lose any sleep over anything they say :rolleyes:

This is turning out to be the most testing time of all. It's when even the most bearish of us starts to quail that you know the HPI gig's up.

Think how much you'll kick yourself if you buy now and the market drops - even a little bit - in 6 months time...

Look - all you have to know to stop yourself from making ANY financial gamble is this:-

GORDON BROWN IS IN CHARGE OF THE ECONOMY!! RUN TO THE HILLS!!

Whoops_Apocalypse

Doesn't Cookham have the cache of being the one time home to Stanley Spencer, the right side of the Thames and well placed for London/Home Counties commuting. Perhaps a place that will always be popular and therefore likely to fall slower than most. We have a very nice picture of 'The Pound' I have sold to most of the residents :)

Prices are turning up here (albeit very s_l_o_w_l_y :blink: )