House Price Crash Forum

Will Russia invade Ukraine and what happens if it escalates with NATO/US getting involved

coypondboy

HOLA441
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

Maybe I'm being naïve. If America were to make that guarantee then what's the point of NATO. Bit unfair on Ukraine too in hindsight, if America made that promise. Plus Sweden and Finland are sort of neighbours to us, we're often seen as a borderline Nordic.

Or maybe Bojo is trying to get off with the Finnish and Swedish female leaders.

Weren't various security promises made to Ukraine?

Minsk agreements?

International agreements and treaties are meaningless.

I cite the NIP as another example.

• Replies 41.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staffsknot

• Si1

• rollover

• pig

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
8 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

No worries, the well trained well equipped Finns will have routed the Russian rabble long before we can get there.  

This is more their level

Does it make you proud?

Detracting from talking point and distracting with personal gibe becoming your normality ...

3331.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=b16c1f57443194b65b9cdcbf81763494

HOLA443
HOLA444
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

Just logically and strategically, Poo-Tin has staked his legacy, his power and even possibly his life on the Ukraine invasion. There's no way, especially after losing the battle for Kyiv, he wouldn't use his best.

The same people in a couple of days have flitted between:

- Russia is using its latest hypersonic missiles and state of the art tech and the West is unprepared

- Russia sent the 2nd 11 and waiting to eliminate any NATO retaliation

HOLA445
1 hour ago, IMHAL said:

My first guess is that BJ is posturing himself as the 'Churchill' figure and has calculated putting 'the UK' at risk worthwhile in order to keep his job.

My second guess is that BJ would treat such a treaty and the commitment to Fin/Swe with the same level of respect as the NIP or the botched Homes for Ukraine scheme...it's all optics and no action.

It's just to sow enough doubt in Putin's mind to make sure he doesn't try anything in the short term over Finland/Sweden. And also to persuade them in the right direction of joining NATO.

HOLA446
57 minutes ago, rollover said:

Detracting from talking point and distracting with personal gibe becoming your normality ...

3331.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=b16c1f57443194b65b9cdcbf81763494

Does this make you proud:

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-boy-11-raped-in-front-of-his-mother-and-now-only-communicates-using-black-lines-says-deputy-foreign-minister-12611608

Ukraine war: Boy, 11, raped in front of his mother and now only communicates using black lines

HOLA447
21 minutes ago, Si1 said:

It's just to sow enough doubt in Putin's mind to make sure he doesn't try anything in the short term over Finland/Sweden. And also to persuade them in the right direction of joining NATO.

So nothing about PR to reduce the risk of UK getting nil points in Eurovision then? /s

It will be interesting to see how it is spun in Russia. Probably something about "look, this shows we were right to invade special military opperation Ukraine before they joined NATO as the plan as to encircle us". But I wonder how many people start to wonder "Did FInland and Sweeden join NATO because we invaded Ukraine?"

Dangerous time to be alive

HOLA448
2 minutes ago, Drat said:

So nothing about PR to reduce the risk of UK getting nil points in Eurovision then? /s

Haha! Maybe...

It will be interesting to see how it is spun in Russia. Probably something about "look, this shows we were right to invade special military opperation Ukraine before they joined NATO as the plan as to encircle us".

They may say that. But they won't touch Finland now. In fact by weakening their strength elsewhere whilst doing over Ukraine they maybe gave Finland the only safe chance they'll ever have of fully joining NATO.

But I wonder how many people start to wonder "Did FInland and Sweeden join NATO because we invaded Ukraine?"

Indeed. I believe Russian sentiment behind the war is weakening.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
7 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

My response directly addressed your point. 

Now answer mine does the sight of your boys shooting civilians in the back make you proud.

Raping small boys is quite bad too.

HOLA4414
8 hours ago, MarkG said:

Remember, Putin sent his B-team into Ukraine. The A-team have been kept back in case they're needed to fight NATO.

So if Putin decides to attack Finland before it joins NATO, Boris Johnson's posturing won't prevent him from doing so.

And since Putin knows he'll have to fight Finland sooner or later--Russia can no more accept NATO forces that close to their important bases in the Arctic than the US could accept Russian forces in Saskatchewan, just over the border from US missile silos--he may well decide to do it sooner. He's often said that if a fight is inevitable, you should hit first.

Or he may decide to wait until they are in NATO before he attacks, just so the world will see the rest of NATO refuse to risk nuclear war to protect Finland. That would be the end of NATO and the US Empire.

Why will Putin have to fight Finland..

He can choose to, but he wouldn't have to, because it's Not Finland that will invade, or do anything to his bases in the Arctic.

He may have to fight against Ukraine invading soon, and it certainly won't be the A team left at home. (Because you made that up)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
2 hours ago, Si1 said:

Does this make you proud:

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-boy-11-raped-in-front-of-his-mother-and-now-only-communicates-using-black-lines-says-deputy-foreign-minister-12611608

Ukraine war: Boy, 11, raped in front of his mother and now only communicates using black lines

All on the conscience of the Putin patsies who emboldened him. 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
4 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Turkey is close to bankrupt, i am pretty sure that translates as "it will cost you". 

I would guess getting a chunk of that $40bn for more Turkish weapons would help oil the wheels.  

Edited by Confusion of VIs

HOLA4419
10 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Turkey is close to bankrupt, i am pretty sure that translates as "it will cost you". 

I would guess getting a chunk of that $40bn for more Turkish weapons would help oil the wheels.  

Goodness yeah the old Bayraktars.

HOLA4420
1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Could we arrange a swap, Putin gets bankrupt Turkey, and EU gets Ukraine?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
10 hours ago, Drat said:

It will be interesting to see how it is spun in Russia. Probably something about "look, this shows we were right to invade special military opperation Ukraine before they joined NATO as the plan as to encircle us". But I wonder how many people start to wonder "Did FInland and Sweeden join NATO because we invaded Ukraine?"

I want to know how Russian media is presenting the Germans' decision to re-arm.  Perhaps a few of our posters on here could enlighten us?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
1 hour ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

This GIS Art tech is insane. Hats off the the Ukrainian developers.

UK-assisted Uber-style technology helped Ukraine to destroy Russian battalion

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/73330af0-d2d4-11ec-84ba-2054de44b21e?shareToken=45feab260d7d8dfd80f7799bcc616da9

GIS (Geographical information system) isn't anything new, it's built with  conventional APIs to develop all sorts of geographical problem solving apps. Very powerful part of the big data revolution.

Usually used to locate best commercial location for a shop or new bus route or pollution monitoring or whatever.

So yeah makes sense the Ukrainian techies have been able to use it to this effect in conflict. Actually wow. This could be Ukraine's equivalent of the battle of Britain operations rooms, for martialing limited defences most efficiently.

https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/about-arcgis/overview

(I understand that software development for the military can take years or decades for various bureaucratic reasons, justified or not, whereas this represents commercially-derived agile iterative development presumably done in months or weeks - needs must)

Edited by Si1

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

GIS (Geographical information system) isn't anything new, it's built with  conventional APIs to develop all sorts of geographical problem solving apps. Very powerful part of the big data revolution.

Usually used to locate best commercial location for a shop or new bus route or pollution monitoring or whatever.

So yeah makes sense the Ukrainian techies have been able to use it to this effect in conflict. Actually wow. This could be Ukraine's equivalent of the battle of Britain operations rooms, for martialing limited defences most efficiently.

https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/about-arcgis/overview

(I understand that software development for the military can take years or decades for various bureaucratic reasons, justified or not, whereas this represents commercially-derived agile iterative development presumably done in months or weeks - needs must)

I know GIS is not new but did you read the link? This 'Uber' like system can TOT in a minute.