House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Father Fred

Halifax House Price Index

I am currently studying a property related degree. Today a lecturer was discussing house prices indices, relative strengths and weaknesses etc.

Anyway, apparently one of our former students did his dissertation a couple of years ago, and as part of it looked into various indices, who uses them and for what purposes. It turns out that the Halifax don't even use their own index when assessing risk for lending (he didn't tell us what they do use).

Relates back to the BBC and their reference to the mortgage lenders indices... why on earth are they advertising the Halifax by reference to figures published by their PR department, when the Halifax themselves don't even use them?

I'd love to track down the dissertation and if I do I'll add further info here.

It should be in the University library whereever he did his thesis. If its a masters / honours / doctorate since it is traditional that the university demand a copy to lodged there for posterity (there must be a basement somewhere with all of the first second and third rate thesis ever written piled to the ceiling just waiting for a match!)

I am currently studying a property related degree. Today a lecturer was discussing house prices indices, relative strengths and weaknesses etc.

Anyway, apparently one of our former students did his dissertation a couple of years ago, and as part of it looked into various indices, who uses them and for what purposes. It turns out that the Halifax don't even use their own index when assessing risk for lending (he didn't tell us what they do use).

Relates back to the BBC and their reference to the mortgage lenders indices... why on earth are they advertising the Halifax by reference to figures published by their PR department, when the Halifax themselves don't even use them?

If you could find some solid writting to verify that (though i do not question your sincerity) im sure there would be alot of interest about it on here. Personally im not suprised, couldnt of guessed it but not suprised :lol:

Good to see you still kicking around too FF

It should be in the University library whereever he did his thesis. If its a masters / honours / doctorate since it is traditional that the university demand a copy to lodged there for posterity (there must be a basement somewhere with all of the first second and third rate thesis ever written piled to the ceiling just waiting for a match!)

It might even be online. My old uni has published alot of the thesis for online access.

What uni was it?

Their only lending criteria involves checking if the poor sap has a pulse, you can lie to buy silly amounts and they're all in competition to out-silly each other.

Also, their survey is so generalised, smoothed, adjusted, weighted and skewed that it no longer has any basis in reality.

Edited by BuyingBear

Can the lecturer give you any more details?

I would also expect it to be in the library. You may have to ask a librarian as some stuff is kept behind the counter as commercially sensitive.

I'd also like to know what else the lecturer had to say about the relative pros and cons (I posted a thread with a guide to the different indices a few weeks ago and am currently expanding it).

London South Bank University. I've emailed the lecturer regarding tracking it down as I have not managed to find it on the library website search facility.

David: re what the lecturer said. I have coursework related to house price indices and will be using lecture notes, handouts etc, as well as your document (which I saved in anticipation of this course) to do the coursework. After a quick glance I think my lecturer might be as interested in what you say as you would be in what he does.

For the record he is very keen on talking about cycles, reversion to trend, folly of low yields etc... he's not a bull!!!!

London South Bank University. I've emailed the lecturer regarding tracking it down as I have not managed to find it on the library website search facility.

David: re what the lecturer said. I have coursework related to house price indices and will be using lecture notes, handouts etc, as well as your document (which I saved in anticipation of this course) to do the coursework. After a quick glance I think my lecturer might be as interested in what you say as you would be in what he does.

For the record he is very keen on talking about cycles, reversion to trend, folly of low yields etc... he's not a bull!!!!

I've done some more stuff on my property (cycle) model too, which you may have seen (originally posted it at about the same time). Pleased you found & downloaded the price survey notes.

I'm picking up a copy of an article I reserved at the local library this weekend. "Interpretation and compatability of house price series" by C Nicol in the journal "Environment & Planning A" Vol 28 No 1 pp119-133 published 1996 which sounds relevant:

'Abstract. Over recent years the housing market has experienced a severe and prolonged recession. Doubts about the reliability of indices indicating housing-market trends have exacerbated the difficulties of actors in the market and have impeded appropriate policy responses by government. In this paper the differences both in data and in methodology are examined, differences that may go some way to explaining why the different series may seem to indicate different trends.'

http://www.envplan.com/epa/abstracts/a28/a280119.html

As I'm finding out more I'm also improving the references on my stuff, which should help you.

Does your uni do distance learning;)