House Price Crash Forum

Brace Yourselves For A Btl Crisis

karhu

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4715994.stm

University applications have fallen for the first time in six years, as higher fees are introduced across England.

Almost 13,000 fewer students have applied for courses starting in September than had applied at this time last year - a fall of 3.4%.

As if there isn't already enough bad news out there for landlords :lol:

Edited by karhu

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Will this have much impact? Only if they all stay at home and I would suspect that quite a few will move out and rent somewhere. Arguably, they wil rent somewhere more expensive if they are earning than they would as students.

And where are the jobs going to come from? They will simply be adding to the unemployment numbers (if not directly themselves, then by taking a job some other poor sod would have had).

HOLA446
HOLA447

I know of several students who have enroled at local universities and stayed at home this year. I expect this to become a fairly common trend, epecially when the fees go up to 3k PA this September. Yeah its a drag living at home, but 20-30k of debt when you are about to start making your way in the world is a lot of money, especially when a lot of graduates are finding their careers/salaries aren't meeting expectations

HOLA448

Will this have much impact? Only if they all stay at home and I would suspect that quite a few will move out and rent somewhere. Arguably, they wil rent somewhere more expensive if they are earning than they would as students.

To rent they need an income. They'll need a job. If they can at 18 get a job that pays enough to rent then that's fab but I suspect most won't.

Any stats on average wage at 18?

What's the minimum wage for an 18 yr old?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Don't forget the stats are skewed :- Last year I'm sure many more students that would have waited registered to take advantage of more favourable financial conditions. THis will make this year's drop seem bigger.

Hate to sound elitist....but have you heard the 'students' being interviewed on the news? Don't sound very clever. I apologise if you have an accent and are clever too. A clever Northerner for example.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

How much will they earn though in that scenario, what kind of job will they get McDonalds Homebase?

Thats quite a sad statistic that young people who have ability and want to further themselves can ill afford to.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

How much will they earn though in that scenario, what kind of job will they get McDonalds Homebase?

Thats quite a sad statistic that young people who have ability and want to further themselves can ill afford to.

It's an even sadder fact that the Universities can't afford to teach the students :blink:

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

What's the bad news? Is it that they've decided to get a job instead & be able to pay higher rents?

Look whos laughing now.....

:lol::lol:

If they can't go to University, they'll more likely than not stay at home for several years, driving down demand for BTL, driving down rents.

A less educated workforce will ultimately have a lower mean income, driving rents down.

There you go long- and short-term reasons why this is bad for landlords.

A fool and his money are soon parted. TTRTR they saw you coming. :lol:

HOLA4419
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Perhaps its an urban legend but I read that having a media studies degree virtually debars its holder from the media industry. Anyone have the facts?

My Niece got a media studies degree, found a job as a production assistant with the BBC but no pay, they were giving her experience you see, so she left giving the next mug a chance.

HOLA4420

My Niece got a media studies degree, found a job as a production assistant with the BBC but no pay, they were giving her experience you see, so she left giving the next mug a chance.

That's not the first time I've heard of people working for nothing for "experience" :)

The bbc get photos and content written for free all the time. They love citizen journalism.

HOLA4421

Yeah, but loads of grauduates in non-graduate David Brent white-collar land at 21 anyway. They could have entered that sphere at 18 no problems.

Look on Payfinder.com - things like Research Scientist or Senior Editor mingle, in pay terms, with jobs like HGV driver.

Factor-in the loss of three or four years of income and megadebt, only a tiny minority of graduates will truly make their degrees 'pay' these days.

Check out The Mismanagement of Talent: Employability and Jobs in the Knowledge Economy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...9101840-8905244

Future jobs growth will be mostly in lower paid sectors, real average graduate starting salaries (not surveys of bluechips) are 12.5k!

What interesting is the authors point out that part of the problem is that the job market doesn't know how to use the talents of increased numbers graduates. This is against the 'Daily Mail Media Studies' argument and is in keeping with my observations. Sure there are many thick graduates, but the then there were before mass higher education. The real tragedy is talented, multi-skilled people underemployed in brainless roles - the only roles the modern economy are producing in large numbers.

HOLA4422

I know of several students who have enroled at local universities and stayed at home this year. I expect this to become a fairly common trend, epecially when the fees go up to 3k PA this September. Yeah its a drag living at home, but 20-30k of debt when you are about to start making your way in the world is a lot of money, especially when a lot of graduates are finding their careers/salaries aren't meeting expectations

3K per year is peanuts. Over in the US college starts at 25K USD per annum. Students in the UK should grab a good education for peanuts. I know it's not free, but nothing is going to be free for much longer.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
3K per year is peanuts. Over in the US college starts at 25K USD per annum. Students in the UK should grab a good education for peanuts. I know it's not free, but nothing is going to be free for much longer.

Absolutely, and this will go up considerably in less than a decade - I think 10k pa in the near future, more for Oxbridge. Why they had to do this 50% target business is beyond me. I think they should have kept the standards higher and the numbers fewer, and kept the system free. This would have encouraged people who generally wanted to study a subject at an academic level. We now have a plethora of low end grads good for nothing, and the high end hard working future professionals who are any good get tarred with the same brush.