House Price Crash Forum

Are boomers trying too hard to hang on to control?

Mikhail Liebenstein

So I won't reopen the C19 debate, as we know that has largely been shaped in favour of the boomers.

We also know about the various inequities of housing, student grants versus loans, and paying for the NHS/social care costs.

Now we have this call, that incompetent drivers over 70 should be let off points in favour of driving assessments instead.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/01/older-motorists-caught-driving-carelessly-shouldnt-penalised/

There was also an interview earlier on LBC where a spokesman for older drivers also demanded roads should be adapted.

For years insurance has discriminated against younger drivers, but interestingly older drivers are more likely to have points:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1408003/driving-law-fine-penalty-points-driving-licence-dvla/amp

The boomers are the most selfish generation who have benefited enormously from the carving out of society by the welfare state and refuse to pay it forward or even acknowledge the unprecedented scale of the robbery they have committed.

Revoke driving licences at age 60 and require 5 yearly tests. Tests must include a minimum speed, which if a driver is not confident enough to achieve, they are not fit to drive. Motorcycle driving tests include these, so why shouldn't car driving tests?

2 hours ago, Locke said:

The boomers are the most selfish generation who have benefited enormously from the carving out of society by the welfare state and refuse to pay it forward or even acknowledge the unprecedented scale of the robbery they have committed.

Revoke driving licences at age 60 and require 5 yearly tests. Tests must include a minimum speed, which if a driver is not confident enough to achieve, they are not fit to drive. Motorcycle driving tests include these, so why shouldn't car driving tests?

That sounds a lot like intervention by a state and curbing of rights for a person who shouts about anarchy being great and the evils of a controlling state / any attempt at minimising a person's activities...

1 hour ago, Staffsknot said:

That sounds a lot like intervention by a state and curbing of rights for a person who shouts about anarchy being great and the evils of a controlling state / any attempt at minimising a person's activities...

Yes, if it were up to me, all roads would be privately built and owned and the owners would decide who was allowed to drive on them.

The government's utter incompetence in making the roads safe strengthens my case against them. If we're going to be ruled by force, they could at least do things which are good and make it more difficult to argue against them.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where people support the government so I might as well point out what they could be doing.

1 hour ago, Locke said:

Yes, if it were up to me, all roads would be privately built and owned and the owners would decide who was allowed to drive on them.

The government's utter incompetence in making the roads safe strengthens my case against them. If we're going to be ruled by force, they could at least do things which are good and make it more difficult to argue against them.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where people support the government so I might as well point out what they could be doing.

The guest on LBC also started talking about peddle confusion, i.e. the phenomenon of the elderly/boomers mixing up the accelerator and the brake. 

Almost sounded like it was understandable and should be forgiven. 

12 hours ago, Locke said:

Typical Brex_hiteer trying to take away the rights and freedoms of others. 🤣🤡

I can’t be the only one to notice the stench of bitterness threaded through most of your postings. 

8 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Typical Brex_hiteer trying to take away the rights and freedoms of others. 🤣🤡

I can’t be the only one to notice the stench of bitterness threaded through most of your postings. 

Weird I thought you would be bed wetting about keeping roads safe from old people who endanger others with their poor vision and driving.

Abolitionists were pissed off about slavery. Should they have politely asked slave owners if the slaves could leave?

On 12/2/2021 at 9:38 AM, Staffsknot said:

In a min someone will be along to decry intergenerational conflict while having a thread history banging on about the young and snowflakes.

I think this is more papers trying to pop up clicks and comments

Too many snowflakes in the UK today.

Ask the people in Aberdeenshire and NE England!