House Price Crash Forum

POLL: Will The B.O.E Raise Rates This Month?

Will The B.O.E Raise Rates This Month?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Will The B.O.E Raise Rates This Month?

HOLA441
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

Ok for balance here is the intellectual reasoned argument against raising rates now:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/23/opinion/fed-powell-unemployment.html

"This in turn means that while everyone is talking about inflation risks right now, the Fed is also concerned about the risks of overreacting to inflation. If it raises interest rates and that pushes the economy into a recession, it might not be able to cut rates enough to get us out again.

So if you ask why monetary doves rule the Fed roost, it’s not just a matter of personalities — or ideology. The past couple of decades have highlighted the downsides of hawkishness, and the Fed doesn’t want to repeat what it now, quietly, views as past mistakes."s.

What goes for the US just doesnt go for the UK or even EU.

Both need to raise rates, pronto.

What worried USGOV and FED is the rest of the world moving away from the $ as a reserve and main trading currency.

Any sniff of that and itll panic.

USGOV worries about losing Seniority, which has been lucrative with the rise of China.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
5 minutes ago, spyguy said:

What goes for the US just doesnt go for the UK or even EU.

Both need to raise rates, pronto.

What worried USGOV and FED is the rest of the world moving away from the $ as a reserve and main trading currency.

Any sniff of that and itll panic.

USGOV worries about losing Seniority, which has been lucrative with the rise of China.

Of course USGOV worries; they stabbed UKGOV in the back to topple GBP as world reserve. 

What goes around comes around...

HOLA443
HOLA444
On 08/12/2021 at 22:01, Flat Bear said:

Recent events with OMICRON has forced me to reconsider. It has become increasingly unlikely. The pound will come under pressure over the next several weeks.

I am now totally unsure.

I think it will be a 50-50 tomorrow. It really could go either way.

If they don't put the rate up they will lose all credibility, and they haven't got a lot left.

HOLA445
22 minutes ago, Flat Bear said:

I am now totally unsure.

I think it will be a 50-50 tomorrow. It really could go either way.

If they don't put the rate up they will lose all credibility, and they haven't got a lot left.

No chance whatsoever - always an excuse, and omicron is the perfect one for them.

HOLA446
14 minutes ago, dpg50000 said:

No chance whatsoever - always an excuse, and omicron is the perfect one for them.

Just on the evening news. “Well, the BoE were expected to increase rates, but omicron……..” And then there’s Boris. Highest number infections ever recorded so you need to listen to me, I’m being really serious!

Boris will be off the hook by next week I reckon.

HOLA447

I say they raise it to 0.25% tomorrow.

They have to do it eventually so perhaps now is the time whilst folk are distracted by covid and Christmas.

I think mortgage lenders have already edged up rates in line with that sort of rise anyway so not sure how the media spin it as something to be feared. 

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
21 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

Fed rise wasn't on cards, it increased the speed of taper which was expected. Once that is done rate rises

😂😂😂😂 Yeah, we believe them

Inflation at 10% house prices up 20% and they keep going for 3 more months before raising rates by 0.25% and don't forget another 2.5tn for the banker supporting government to spank anything that'll cause more inflation 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Look at us share indexes, they all shot up, fed has lost control 

They jumped because the Fed looks like doing something on inflation, but can still change should Omicron go tits up over there.

If they'd done nowt it would have tanked as everyone sees inflation and thinks they'll stuff it up by sitting on hands. Yesterdays dip was precisely for this reason.

That's from the US Trading desk not guesswork after the fact.

HOLA4413
12 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

They jumped because the Fed looks like doing something on inflation, but can still change should Omicron go tits up over there.

If they'd done nowt it would have tanked as everyone sees inflation and thinks they'll stuff it up by sitting on hands. Yesterdays dip was precisely for this reason.

That's from the US Trading desk not guesswork after the fact.

Raise rates... Indexes go up 

Dont raise rates... Indexes go up. 

The fact of the matter is, us inflation near 10% and the fed might raise rates to 0.75% by end of 2022 after another 3 months of pumping 100s of billions into the bankers pockets 

They've already stuffed it up, as Peter schiff says to tame the inflation rates should be 8% now 

They wont do that because they lose out, so instead they'll rob 300 million Americans so 10,000 can Leroy their fortunes. 

If this ends, it'll end through violent means 

Youd think after watching the banks actions since 1998 people might realise what they're actually about 

HOLA4414
7 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

The fact of the matter is, us inflation near 10% and the fed might raise rates to 0.75% by end of 2022 after another 3 months of pumping 100s of billions into the bankers pockets 

They've already stuffed it up, as Peter schiff says to tame the inflation rates should be 8% now 

They wont do that because they lose out, so instead they'll rob 300 million Americans so 10,000 can Leroy their fortunes. 

Youd think after watching the banks actions since 1998 people might realise what they're actually about 

If interest rates were 8% most Americans would be stuffed and the avg person would be struggling worse than they are now. 8% rates are not going to help them.

Yes people would go ooh I need to be more prudent and cut back but there'd be a f!×kload of layoffs and only those with tasty bank balances would see any benefit.

Slow and not overly dramatic rise is where they are headed.

If they'd gone hard and fast the markets would have shat the bed and with it everyone would derisk pop the economy. This we need high rates jacking up now is ****** talk by theorists.

The situation is like slowing for a queue on a motorway - don't slow down in time you are in a mess, do an emergency stop or apply brakes hard and you get wiped out anyway.

HOLA4415
4 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

I say they raise it to 0.25% tomorrow.

They have to do it eventually so perhaps now is the time whilst folk are distracted by covid and Christmas.

I think mortgage lenders have already edged up rates in line with that sort of rise anyway so not sure how the media spin it as something to be feared. 

That is a very good summary of one side of the argument.

The other side is that we are about to fall into an Omicron hole and we need to cut below zero.

So they will sit on their hands.

(My own personal idea, to hike by 0.05 - 0.1%, is apparently an unthinkable fudge.)

HOLA4416
2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

They've also just passed a 2.5 trillion spending bill which will be paid for out of inflating. It's going to get much worse 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Their hand will be forced at some point and then they'll have to overreact to calm everything down. They just haven't had to do anything yet.

I'm still going for a rate rise today. It's a coin flip and I have no money on the table right now that'll be massively affected if I'm right or wrong.

The guy in the pub who's betting everyone his coin toss will come up heads has every single person winning loads of money when it comes up tails. Every. Single. Time. The punters are all calling their friends and families to come in and grab that free cash, and once all of their money is in the pot, they are very surprised and more than a little sick when the flip then comes up heads.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
13 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Their hand will be forced at some point and then they'll have to overreact to calm everything down. They just haven't had to do anything yet.

I'm still going for a rate rise today. It's a coin flip and I have no money on the table right now that'll be massively affected if I'm right or wrong.

The guy in the pub who's betting everyone his coin toss will come up heads has every single person winning loads of money when it comes up tails. Every. Single. Time. The punters are all calling their friends and families to come in and grab that free cash, and once all of their money is in the pot, they are very surprised and more than a little sick when the flip then comes up heads.

The narrative when they need to overreact will be “we had to put up rates due to inflation being more sustained than anyone suspected. We had to put them higher than we hoped. This was due to our concerted efforts to ensure the economy was supported with low rates due to the unprecedented times in 2020/21/22”

No one cares…..The guy down the pub “eee, would have been a lot worse under the communist regime of Labour. At least these guys keep the unions in check…”

Lather rinse repeat. 

HOLA4424
HOLA4425