HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
47 minutes ago, Drummer said:

Am I reading this wrong or is this "fall" just us reverting to the mean for the period 2014-19?

Nothing to see.....yet

Correct, it is just a reversion to the 2014-19 mean. It will take a while to see how this translates into sales prices and volumes but it would appear that the flood of mortgage credit that drove the 2020-21 market has slowed right down.

Personally I suspect it will be difficult to support 2021 prices without 2021 levels of lending.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

Correct, it is just a reversion to the 2014-19 mean. It will take a while to see how this translates into sales prices and volumes but it would appear that the flood of mortgage credit that drove the 2020-21 market has slowed right down.

Personally I suspect it will be difficult to support 2021 prices without 2021 levels of lending.

Yep and without higher prices you cannot get the equity to keep this going as round here your old house buys a new one not the job

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

Agreed. And market interest rates are higher too so that won't happen.

HOLA4412
3 hours ago, gruffydd said:

"The amount borrowed also fell sharply to a net £1.6billion, from £9.3billion in September, but experts said none of this was of concern." - the Daily Mail's comedy script of the day (lots to choose from)

It's not a concern, till you look at the number of properties listed for sale.....

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Some interesting takeaway points from the report:

• Approvals for house purchases, an indicator of future borrowing, fell to 67,200 in October, from 71,900 in September. This is the lowest since June 2020, and is close to the 12-month average up to February 2020 of 66,700. Approvals for remortgaging (which only capture remortgaging with a different lender) rose slightly to 41,600 in October. This remains low compared to the 12-month average up to February 2020 of 49,100, but is the highest since March 2020 (42,700).
  • The ‘effective’ interest rate – the actual interest rate paid – on newly drawn mortgages fell 19 basis point to 1.59% in October, which is a new series low. The rate on the outstanding stock of mortgages ticked down 1 basis point to a new series low of 2.03%.
  • Households deposited an additional £5.5 billion with banks and building societies in October. In addition, households deposited £0.9 billion into National Savings and Investment (NS&I) accounts in October, which are not captured within household deposits but can act as a substitute for them. The combined net flow into both deposits and NS&I accounts in October (£6.4 billion) compares to an average net flow of £11.9 billion in the twelve months to September 2021 (Chart 3). The combined October net flow was slightly higher than pre-pandemic flows: in the year to February 2020, the average net flow was £5.5 billion.

67,200 approvals- Typically/historically a slow down at this time of the year however?

Remortgages dropping alot though, though everyone would be looking to lock into a deal now as potential hikes are on the way. Could it be that as this data only captures remortgages with a different lender that, people are simply remortgaging with their current lender. What has furlough meant for mortgage earnings and multiplies, I wonder. If you got furlough has this made it difficult to obtain lending? I expect for self employed people it will have...

0.9bn in NSI?? NSI have a 0.65% AER bond, fixed for 3 years (https://www.nsandi.com/products/green-savings-bonds) and inflation is currently at.....oh deary

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
14 hours ago, Drummer said:

Am I reading this wrong or is this "fall" just us reverting to the mean for the period 2014-19?

Nothing to see.....yet

Isn't that the point? It shows the COVID mini boom is over and everyone has stopped rushing to buy at any cost.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
1 hour ago, fellow said:

Isn't that the point? It shows the COVID mini boom is over and everyone has stopped rushing to buy at any cost.

Yeh exactly, but also the trend is still down. Chances are it will sink below the long term average again next month. 

The housing market is very vulnerable right now. To things like a covid spike or IR rises or inflation.

HOLA4419
12 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Is that why your planning to buy in January?

Lol. I wonder how his short position on Rightmove shares taken on November 5th is working out too? 

November 5th closing price £7.03

November 30th price £7.45 with a month high of £7.63. 

I wonder what interest and fees @TheCountOfNowhere is currently amassing on the position? Even with a 20k a month oil shares profit that has got to be hurting a bit?  

Edited by Twenty Something