House Price Crash Forum
Perfectionist

Gold's Big Run Is Almost Over .....

If Microsoft's ability at financial predictions is anything like their software skills then it's definitely time to start buying gold.

Indeed :) Forgive my cynicism, but this type of article is very easy to write when the price has dropped and is guaranteed to get a good number of hits. At times like this, I just consider why I have invested (a fairly small amount of money that I could afford - but don't want to - lose) in gold. My (probably over-simplistic) view is that gold tends to do well in times of finanicial uncertainty and, despite a few 'things aren't as bad as we thought' articles regarding the US economy over the last week, I don't think much has changed in this regard. In fact, uncertainty is likely to increase over the next year IMHO.

When they write articles on why gold will always go up and never fall, then you'll know it's time to sell. At that time you'll also see people queueing to buy coins and ingots, the news will report daily gold prices, and it will be possible to buy the DOW with one or two ounces (it takes about 20 now). It's going to take a few years to get there.

Let MSN readers (a.k.a. sheeple) sell their gold. I and many others stand ready to buy it at these prices.

Good luck.

I quite like these kind of stories.

....it's nowhere near the mainstream press yet and some people are saying it's over....that's a bullish sign.

...when the tabloids get hold of it and.

1)compare it to the last big bull.....property(not happened)

2)suggest getting into debt to get in....or miss the boat(not happened)

3)say it's a no brainer(not happened but prepare to bail out a bit when it does)

4)say its over,only to be replaced a few weeks late with oh no it aint!!(...bail out a little more)

5)say,oh well it sure ain't going down now,it's plataeu'd,it's different this time(sell up!!!!!!!!!!)

we are in VERY early days of this bull run yet....a doubling of price from a big base is not uncommon,nasdaq has done this since oct '02 and nobody has batted an eyelid.

If Microsoft's ability at financial predictions is anything like their software skills then it's definitely time to start buying gold.

I agree. They have after all only captured their market place for the past 20 years or so. Computing would not have advanced as much unless they made it accessible. Besides, Microsoft are so cr@p, Bill Gates is only one of the wealthiest (and generous) men on the planet.

Microsoft clearly have no idea of what they are doing!

:rolleyes:

When they write articles on why gold will always go up and never fall, then you'll know it's time to sell. At that time you'll also see people queueing to buy coins and ingots, the news will report daily gold prices, and it will be possible to buy the DOW with one or two ounces (it takes about 20 now). It's going to take a few years to get there.

Let MSN readers (a.k.a. sheeple) sell their gold. I and many others stand ready to buy it at these prices.

Good luck.

sell Gold back for the backless paper money. why? no one will be wanting paper then only pure 24k gold.

I agree. They have after all only captured their market place for the past 20 years or so. Computing would not have advanced as much unless they made it accessible. Besides, Microsoft are so cr@p, Bill Gates is only one of the wealthiest (and generous) men on the planet.

Microsoft clearly have no idea of what they are doing!

:rolleyes:

..of course not,they've only got the global industry standard.......at the moment.

...like paper money is........at the moment.

things can change..

Genius article that, straight from the "FTSE will plateau at 7000 because of the new paradigm" and "your safe with bricks and mortar" school of investing.

What the last week has been is a nice shake out of the market. Now get down to $480 you bugger so I can buy again ;)

Guest muttley

Well I agree with the article.

Interest rates under Greenspan have been rising.Bernanke looks to continue the trend.Bad news for goldbugs.

Now if Gordon Brown was in charge of the Federal Reserve.......... <_<

The biggest decline in gold since this bull market began started on Feb 05, 2003, when gold touched c.383, and ended on April 9th, 2003, at c.322. Down about $60 or 15% and lasted just over two months.

There have been two other pullbacks of more than $40.

On April 1, 2004, gold touched c. $428 before going to $375 on May 10th and 13th. Down $53, or 12%, duration just over 6 weeks.

And from 12th to 21st December last year gold went from 540 to 490 intraday. $50, 9%, 9 days.

Currently gold has gone from 572 on Feb 2nd to touch 536. $36, 6%, 13 days.

A $60 decline would take us to 512 – any further would, in dollar terms, be the biggest pullback since this bull market began.

15% decline to takes us 486, 12% to 503.

The biggest decline in gold since this bull market began started on Feb 05, 2003, when gold touched c.383, and ended on April 9th, 2003, at c.322. Down about $60 or 15% and lasted just over two months.

There have been two other pullbacks of more than $40.

On April 1, 2004, gold touched c. $428 before going to $375 on May 10th and 13th. Down $53, or 12%, duration just over 6 weeks.

And from 12th to 21st December last year gold went from 540 to 490 intraday. $50, 9%, 9 days.

Currently gold has gone from 572 on Feb 2nd to touch 536. $36, 6%, 13 days.

A $60 decline would take us to 512 – any further would, in dollar terms, be the biggest pullback since this bull market began.

15% decline to takes us 486, 12% to 503.

Currently there seems to be a fairly firm support level at $535 with $550 marking the top of the range.

I think the significance of inflation isn't taken into account enough when people do their TA on gold.

Adjusted for inflation, gold is aproximately 25% of its 1983 value. I'm sure a lot of the technical analysis on gold is way out for this reason.

Well I'm still out of almost all my gold shares. Did nicely out of it but not confident to go back in. Put the money in oil.

Strange really, I'm confident enough to buy the oil dips but not gold. I'd like to see a good solid increase again before I go back into gold.

I think the significance of inflation isn't taken into account enough when people do their TA on gold.

Adjusted for inflation, gold is aproximately 25% of its 1983 value. I'm sure a lot of the technical analysis on gold is way out for this reason.

I don't understand TA, except for very basic things such as resistence, support, trend lines etc. I'm just an amateur. My summary above was merely drawn from Kitco charts since 2001 and is basic stats viewed from the mentality of someone who watches a lot of cricket. There was no proper TA.

It might be that TA is out for the reasons you state. I've also heard it said that, because of all the fraudelent price fixing (CA report etc ) this is going to be a bull market without precedent, and that thus TA won't apply to it.

However, I've followed some TA threads of gold on other sites and a couple of the posters are frighteningly accurate in the predictions.

don't understand TA, except for very basic things such as resistence, support, trend lines etc. I'm just an amateur. My summary above was merely drawn from Kitco charts since 2001 and is basic stats viewed from the mentality of someone who watches a lot of cricket. There was no proper TA.

Sorry - my comment wasn't directed at you. I'm just as much a TA rookie as yourself. I'm just amazed that people don't realise how misleading gold charts can be because they don't take into account inflation.

Gold is nowhere near its previous highs. That's what makes it so exciting (and scarey)