House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
castro

Lake District House Prices

I'm looking at buying a semi on Lake Windermere itself but it's got an asking price just shy of £600k. Unfortunatly there isn't a lot on the property web sites in regards to property prices as they don't change hands very often.

Does anyone have a feel for what is happening to the high end market in Widermere?

Due to the specifc location (right on the water) do you think that i'm going to have to pay pretty much the asking price?

Any advise or thoughts most welcome.

Castro B)

I'm looking at buying a semi on Lake Windermere itself but it's got an asking price just shy of £600k. Unfortunatly there isn't a lot on the property web sites in regards to property prices as they don't change hands very often.

Does anyone have a feel for what is happening to the high end market in Widermere?

Due to the specifc location (right on the water) do you think that i'm going to have to pay pretty much the asking price?

Any advise or thoughts most welcome.

Castro B)

Hi Castro,

I was up that way last weekend, very lovely, but grey weather again....

The problem with the lakes is that:

a) The local salaries in no way cover the available housing;

B) The prices are sustained by weekenders and BTL holiday cottages.

Both of these are very vulnerable to a downturn in the economy and a subsequent HPC.

I would wait right now and aim to buy the same house for £400k in 3 years time.

In the meantime, rent a cheap house while prices come down.

JD :ph34r:

Edited by john_d_uk

Hi - I live in the Lake District

Houses are selling well here - absolutely NO SIGN OF A HPC!!! (house prices have risen 20% consistently over the past two years in my area (South Lakeland)

There a many factors in the price you pay for a property

How much do you want the property?

Do you like the property enough to pay asking price and can you afford to pay asking price?

How keen is the vendor to move on and will he do a deal?

I'd ALWAYS go in with a daft offer to start with and work from there.

Sounds fabulous - hope you're successful - those properties don't come up very often (which may also be a factor in the price)

Hi Castro,

I was up that way last weekend, very lovely, but grey weather again....

we've justhad some cracking bright, blue-skied days just recently!

I would wait right now and aim to buy the same house for £400k in 3 years time.

In the meantime, rent a cheap house while prices come down.

mad advice but normal for this forum - don't listen that house won't be for sale in 3 years time someone will have beaten you to it!

Thanks for the advise guys. I do want the house as it is 'spot on' in most way. It is already being used as a holiday let with a t/o of £37k which actually isn't a bad yield. My problem is that 'yes' i do want it and 'yes' i can afford it but being a good old yorkshireman i'd hate to pay for something that is worth less in 12-24 months time. I wanting to see if anyone has any real life examples of buying in the area and managing to knock down the price.

Are there any other areas within the LAkes that i should consider with a good holiday let market?

Thanks again

Castro,if the property has lake frontage I would snap it up.These propertys rarely come up for sale as mentioned previously.

In three years time the price will have increased considerably not dropped as mentioned by John D UK.

The market in the Lakes is very different to most places in the Uk,I have lived here all my life and trust me something with genuine lake frontage will never lose money.

I actually live in a market town about 8 miles from Windermere and while the market here has been slow Windermere and the lakes is still booming.

If you can afford it,I would say go for it !!!(wish I could )