House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Smoking Ban Causes Surge In House Prices

London estate agents were tonight rubbing their hands in glee at the annoucement by the Government of a total smoking ban in England from the Summer of 2006.

"This will no doubt cause an upsurge in house prices," claimed one Chiswick estate agent. "Smokers will be driven off the streets into the comfort and safety of private dwellings!".

Over in Docklands estate agents are already raising asking prices as BTS - Buy To Smoke - flats are expected to be in great demand. "I can see it now," says Harvey St. John Stevenson, owner of a Docklands estate agents and letting agency. "People will buy a second property not to sleep in but simply to smoke in. I can see entire blocks of appartments on the Thames being bought up by tobacco syndicates!".

A passer-by asked to comment on these thoughts responded:

"Shooting is too good for them!".

Whether he was referring to estate agents or smokers or to both is unknown.

Just need the BBC to publish it now

Cut and paste and send it to the BBC Newsroom.

Reminds of a job I had back in th 1980s working out landing sites for the Parachute Regiment in some of the places considered most likely to riot. One place was so bad that the boys in blue refused to accompany us, advised us not to go by ourselves and so my colleagues and I ended up in a greasey spoon filling out the survey.

A few weeks later Douglas Turd, then Home Secretary, read out the findings of our report in the Commons. Obviously, it was all true!

So, the smoking ban is upon us.

Excellent news from my point of view. I was at a friend's birthday party in a small bar a few weeks ago. There was so much smoke that I had tears streaming down my face by the end of the night and was starting to hyperventilate.

an estimated 600,000 smokers will quit due to this. The estimated loss of revenue to the Treasury is £7bn.

Where is Gordy going to look to plug that little gap, I wonder?

an estimated 600,000 smokers will quit due to this. The estimated loss of revenue to the Treasury is £7bn.

With the savings he makes on NHS treatment of smoking ailments?

The problem is that it takes a lifetime of smoking to do the damage that requires the expensive treatment. Therefore, it will take 20-30 years for the NHS to reap the benefit of this change.

In the meantime they have to continue paying for the treatment of those who continue to develop smoking related illness.

can someone shed any light on its validity

The media are only too happy to report smokers cost the NHS £2.7 billion pounds a year in treatment, but never point out smokers pay something like £13 billion a year in additional taxes to non-smokers.

So, the smoking ban is upon us.

Excellent news from my point of view. I was at a friend's birthday party in a small bar a few weeks ago. There was so much smoke that I had tears streaming down my face by the end of the night and was starting to hyperventilate.

terminate principle private residence exemptions... and 40% tax on the gains of property sales perhaps?

:ph34r:

I wonder what would happen if all smokers gave up tomorrow. After all, if they contribute £13b per year to the Revenue and cost £2.7b per year in healthcare costs, then ex-smokers and non-smokers alike would have to "cough up" an extra 3p to 5p in the pound in income tax to plug the gap.

Hmmmm, not exactly great for the non-smokers. The ex-smokers would probably still see an increase in their disposable income over and above what they used to pay for their ciggies. The non-smokers might be looking at increased tax of £600 to £1000 per annum ( based on an average £25k salary )

Seems that one way or another the non-smokers will always pay the price for the smokers be it in health or tax. Still, less disposable income would mean less to spend on consumables leading to job losses, inflation and......dare I say it.........a house price crash

or with the borrowed money from the EU when he realises smokers dont take as much out of the state pension pot because they die before they can get their meagre allowance.

what would you do???

1)smoke/drink/overeat mcD's and die young?

or 2)be healthy,work till 75 and spend the 25 years after in abject poverty??

...if you have to go,go with a smile!!!! :D:D:D

To be honest compared to the lost revenues from the North Sea this isn't really an issue, it pales in significance.

This will be a double whammy, on some older fields over 66% of the crude price goes to the Treasury in royalties, then the oil companies pay corporation and windfall tax on their profits, of course the oil can be exported (helping our trade deficit) or refined and sold at the pump in the UK, then the Treasury collects another 80% in tax.

As the North Sea dies down we will soon be importing over £500m per month in fuel, no royalties for HM Treasury and another surplus turned to deficit on the current account. As things go on we'll have weaker sterling, higher interest rates, but this will make it easier for our manufacturers to export. *cough*.

Anyway, I wouldn't be worried tobacco, if things get really bad people will be sozzled more often.

One of the joys of living in the SE....

Through the Chunnel, off to Belgium for the ciggies (and to fill up the car with diesel), drive into Calais for the vino and a nice meal.

Good day out and I'm saving money.

But the real benefit is:

The fact greedy b.astard doesn't get his hands on my money!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Badlad1967