House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Blek

Which Party Would You Trust With The Economy?

Without going over old ground too much, Labour has done some good things, and made many mistakes. Nothing, however, could compare to 3 recessions, 3 million unemployed, or the utter, dreadful and unforgivable waste of £180 billion North Sea Oil revenues that the Tory's squandered on tax cuts and dole money.

The last Conservative government were never economically competent, and Labour's greatest shame is falling for the myth of a successful economy.

Without going over old ground too much, Labour has done some good things, and made many mistakes. Nothing, however, could compare to 3 recessions, 3 million unemployed, or the utter, dreadful and unforgivable waste of £180 billion North Sea Oil revenues that the Tory's squandered on tax cuts and dole money.

The last Conservative government were never economically competent, and Labour's greatest shame is falling for the myth of a successful economy.

The economy was in much better shape in 1997 when the Tories handed over power, compared with when they inherited power in 1979.

The era of 'stability', low interest rates and low inflation that we see today began during the final few years of the last Conservative government.

It doesn't matter what party you vote for .. the government always gets back in. One day ill tell you all about my conspiracy theory on the black cabinate but today is not that day.

I wouldn't call tax cuts 'squandering'. It was our bloody money! Kicking the shit out of unions, deregulating or privatising everything possible were all very welcome developments in my opinion. GB (ERM had no greater supporter than he at the time, lets not forget) inherited a very benign and competitive economic environment that he has slowly f*cked up with a combination of public sector waste, tax and regulation.

Edited by jackalope

left to their own devices,markets work.

what labour have done is throw loads of OUR money into loony-tune schemes.not even trying to dampen a rampant bull market.the strategy seems to be ramp it-then tax it.

these guys haven't got a clue.sure some of the policies sound plausible,the smoking ban for one would n theory make for healthier workplaces.

BUT,they still havent figured out that if the punters can't have a fag in the pub they will get some cans from the offie,along with 20 bensons and spend the rest of the night chuffing away at home with their kids in the same room.....does THAT sound healthy??

well meaning but hopelessly incompetent/naive.....that's new labour.

:lol::lol::lol:

Are you serious? I wouldn't trust any of the b'stards. They all big government types. Its just HOW they do it. This country has been seriously overtaxed since I got here (and that was before Labour). God knows how really poor people manage what with the television liscence, and the VAT the Council Tax, the cost of Public Transport... and then they have to pay income tax and national insurance...

left to their own devices,markets work.

what labour have done is throw loads of OUR money into loony-tune schemes.not even trying to dampen a rampant bull market.the strategy seems to be ramp it-then tax it.

I beg to differ to some extent. Markets don't work for everybody. They work better for people who are educated in their workings and start with a capital outlay. But you are right that ramping up the market by various devices has been even worse. Tinkering with the levers. But I don't trust the conservatives any more, since in Oz a conservative government was throwing 5K at first time buyers as one of its first measures.

these guys haven't got a clue.sure some of the policies sound plausible,the smoking ban for one would n theory make for healthier workplaces.

BUT,they still havent figured out that if the punters can't have a fag in the pub they will get some cans from the offie,along with 20 bensons and spend the rest of the night chuffing away at home with their kids in the same room.....does THAT sound healthy??

who can afford bensons? Roll-ups mate. That way you get the same effect (and a prison outbreak look to bonus)

It doesn't matter what party you vote for .. the government always gets back in. One day ill tell you all about my conspiracy theory on the black cabinate but today is not that day.

Conspiracy theories are good.

All based on greed, so if you want post it up for us all. There appears to be no decent political talk in common mass media.

It's all governed and it probably would work out to be a true conspiracy. Come on tell us your worst nightmares Chuz

It doesn't matter who's in charge - it is the financial system that is the main problem. A debt based economy will always have boom and bust...

i would concur with this.

the golden legacy that labour inherited in 1997 was IMHO a result of the weakness of Majors Government.

i came to the view after black wednesday that the people in the uk took charge of their own lives because it seemed obvious that the government was not able to help them.

then nu labour got in.

labour were ok for several years by effectively restraining public spending. this is now out of control.

the public then forgot the bitter leasons of the 89-93 housing crash and recession and borrowed like there was no tomorrow. i think the pubic have deluded themselves that nu labour will bail them out if things go t*ts up.

they are about to see that this is a false premise.

we need to approach life like the germans and dutch. be very careful with our money and minimise debt. work hard, use your brains.

if we get on with it, the country wil get back in shape in about 5-7 years.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Vote Cthulhu.

Why vote for the lesser of two evils?

An end to boom and bust, in fact, an end!

Free healthcare, for as long as you live.

However, NuLab have achieved something I previously though impossible. They make the Conservatives and their handling of the economy look good.

Vote Cthulhu!

You know it makes sense.

the job is just far too big for anyone to take on - the parties know that - we've not had a successful government in recent living memory. running this country is like herding cats.

I wouldn't know. Both of the major opposition parties seem to feel it's far too long to the next election to actually have any ideas.

I think the theory is that ideas are such tricky things; people always find something to pick at.

Typical party sound bite;

"Growth, opportunity, fairness, sustainability, a bright future".

You get the idea, all nice and positive and at the same time utterly meaningless.

I had thought that I might be simply ignorant of the Conservatives economic policy so I went to their website to find out. I couldn't find much on there apart from a vague lower taxes promise. I'm giving them another chance, I'm good like that. I have emailed David.

"I'm thoroughly unhappy with the handling of the economy by the labour party. Huge debt and increasing inequalities largely due to speculative house prices are my main grumble. To quote the governor of the bank of England (perhaps not words for word but certainly in spirit) - "house prices are a matter of opinion debt is real".

I visited the Conservative website to look at the alternative ideas (economic policy) and apart from lower taxes I can't find many.

Surely bland slogans are the stuff of New Labour; I should think that you should consider an alternative rather than a rehash.

I really have no idea of what the Conservatives stand for any more, please point me in the right direction to find out I really would like an alternative to get behind so I’m presenting you with the opportunity to get a vote in a marginal seat."

Lets see what they've got eh?

Edited by bandylegs

For an interesting centre left perpective on the ills of the British (and global) economy, try looking at this website - http://www.neweconomics.org/gen/

I admit that Labour's economic miracle is not what its cracked up to be. I jst blame Margaret Thatcher and the Reaganites (good name for a band?) for starting the rot.

There are alternatives; I always have time for Will Hutton (who i also remember writing about house price madness 4 or 5 years ago)

The arguements that "they are all the same" is simply beaulocks and and lazy cop out. Do a mnimum amount of research and it is clear that there are philosophical and practical differences in Labour, Conservative and other party policies.

The economy was in much better shape in 1997 when the Tories handed over power, compared with when they inherited power in 1979.

The era of 'stability', low interest rates and low inflation that we see today began during the final few years of the last Conservative government.

Its remarkable but after a redundancy and subsequent hardship over the next 5 years in the earlly 90's I did not feel overly affectionate for the tories. funny that.

Not saying Labour are any better but at least I'm working.

For an interesting centre left perpective on the ills of the British (and global) economy, try looking at this website - http://www.neweconomics.org/gen/

I admit that Labour's economic miracle is not what its cracked up to be. I jst blame Margaret Thatcher and the Reaganites (good name for a band?) for starting the rot.

There are alternatives; I always have time for Will Hutton (who i also remember writing about house price madness 4 or 5 years ago)

The arguements that "they are all the same" is simply beaulocks and and lazy cop out. Do a mnimum amount of research and it is clear that there are philosophical and practical differences in Labour, Conservative and other party policies.

I've done a minimum amount of research and I'm disappointed about the lack of hard policy laid out by the main players. Philosophical differences are largely just packaging rather than a core belief from which policy is derived.

The truth is in the detail and I can't find much detail. Whilst I concede that I am lazy I don't think that that is all there is to it.

Edited by bandylegs

We just have to hope that Cameron can add some liberal economic credentials to his liberal social ones. Unfortunately there is a grave danger he will be dragged down the dangerous high spend, placate all interest groups, populist approach of Labour. And many or most of the tory party are as beholden to these selfish groups as are unreformed Labour backbenchers.

We need a bit more steel in our politicians and a bit less craveness. We need reform and modernity.

We slag the Europeans off for slackness but look at Ireland, Spain, the Baltics etc.

Britain is becoming complacent and anti-business once again.

Title: Which Party Would You Trust With The Economy?

And most of you voted Conservative. What a joke! Are the majority of you under 30? If they had won in '97 do you really think things would be any different now with regard to house prices/debt?

The problem with any democracy (not that I’m arguing in favour of any other system) is that most of us can have pick-and-mix opinions and can’t find any party which coincides with even our basic views.

I’m a economic conservative who believes in small government and tight money but I’m also a social liberal who believes in personal freedom but

I wouldn’t want to see anyone staving however profligate they had been.

So who gets my cross.