House Price Crash Forum

Stamp duty holiday has existed for years….just ask the wealthy.

Pop321

HOLA441

I know I am a leftie liberal but even I can’t resist highlighting just how corrupt TPTB are even old ‘pseudo labour’ leaders.  The Blair’s avoid £312k in stamp duty when buying £6.45m property. Anyone who thinks it is just these guys and just stamp duty is in for a rude awakening.

Back handers for contracts with the NHS, builders CEOs pulling hundreds of millions in shares from profits from Help to Buy…the list is endless.

Let’s cause a distraction and identify someone claiming £80 a week for a back problem they don’t have. That person is awful…..but keep the focus from those who really do take from the system  

Tax is for the middle earners……cough up your new NI contributions, pay back your student loans, enjoy your shafted pensions, borrow daft amounts to buy an average home and shut the f5ck up. 

At least in the early 80’s people knew how to riot, didn’t help but at least TPTB knew that ‘we knew’ there was an issue…..now all people seem to be able to do is fight one another for the best Uni education and try push those around them down.

When everyone at the top has their snouts in the trough I am not sure where to turn for a solution.

Happy days….🤦🏻‍♂️

(I feel better after that little rant)….fingers crossed interest rates will drop more and that should keep everyone happy.😉

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58780559

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
23 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

I thought that this loophole had been closed in 2012

https://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/news/stamp-duty-avoiders-have-had-their-warning-says-osborne/

What went wrong I wonder.

I think the property was owned by a company and the Blair’s bought the company…not the property. Agree though sounds like a ‘scheme’ and all ‘schemes’ were stopped but I guess they will say the scheme was for reasons other than tax.

Ps I just realised I tried answering the unanswerable. Do I get a prize for trying 😆😆

HOLA445
1 minute ago, Pop321 said:

I think the property was owned by a company and the Blair’s bought the company…not the property. Agree though sounds like a ‘scheme’ and all ‘schemes’ were stopped but I guess they will say the scheme was for reasons other than tax.

Ps I just realised I tried answering the unanswerable. Do I get a prize for trying 😆😆

Well done for trying. According to the link 

Speaking on The Andrew Show, Osborne said the Government will “come down like a ton of bricks” on the practice. The Treasury will ensure any property that is lived in, either by the owner or by a tenant, is subject to stamp duty. Those who avoid the tax after measures the Chancellor will announce at the Budget will face “punitive charges”.

And 

“Rich people, often foreigners who come to this country but also some people here in Britain, who put homes into companies to avoid stamp duty. That is completely unacceptable. We are going to come down on that practice like a ton of bricks”.

So either a) the Blair's have got a very good lawyer

or b) they are going to be in a lot of trouble.

HOLA446

The UK has been criticised for allowing property to be owned by anonymous companies overseas.

The government published draft legislation in 2018 that would require the ultimate owners of UK properties to be declared. But it is still waiting to be presented to MPs.

HOLA447
1 hour ago, byron78 said:

Yep, it's an old dodge.

The amount of Russian money in our tax havens (and Tory party) the Pandora Papers are revealing today is a bit of a worry as well.

35 trillion in our tax havens? Wow.

Its this not what we do?  The skills that pay the bills so to speak.

There is your reason why a terrace in mayfair is more expensive than a golf resort in the shires.

Rental yield .... illogical

Buying to live there ..... illogical

Supermarket sweep style hole in the ground to store stolen money from your developing nation = Bingo

Edited by Fromage Frais

HOLA448
31 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

And 

They will probably go a)….

Alternatively they may pay the £300k if pushed because based on sdlt nowadays with the new rates £6.45m second property attracts an alarming £881k.

It’s all legit…got to keep commerce going for the greater good. Otherwise just would home these poor tenants….infact another thought, 

I bet, I absolutely bet there are scams going on with who actually lives in the Blair’s property, how it’s treated for income tax and we are scratching the surface. Trump didn’t pay $700 tax by ‘lying’ he did it by structuring.

Cant wait to do my tax return this year…I bet HMRC are waiting for it so they can actually get some money in the pot 🤦🏻‍♂️

HOLA449
47 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

And 

Osborne didn't actually put the measures through, though.

They (finally) made it into a paper in 2018, but MPs haven't even had the chance to vote on implementing anything yet (Oct 2021).

HOLA4410
15 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

Its this not what we do?  The skills that pay the bills so to speak.

There is your reason why a terrace in mayfair is more expensive than a golf resort in the shires.

Rental yield .... illogical

Buying to live there ..... illogical

Supermarket sweep style hole in the ground to store stolen money from your developing nation = Bingo

And don't forget. It's the woke kids, BLM, and brown people in dinghies that are the real threat. Not the establishment!

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, byron78 said:

And don't forget. It's the woke kids, BLM, and brown people in dinghies that are the real threat. Not the establishment!

Yeah, the freaking troll army lurking around here, that will push covid vaccination stories, immigration, asylum seekers, "wealth tax is double taxation". All that utter BS

The world really needs to get a grip on what is really happening. We are getting fleeced by the 0.1% while our societies are fighting over bread crumbs and extreme ideologies becoming more and more mainstream

HOLA4412
8 minutes ago, Freki said:

Yeah, the freaking troll army lurking around here, that will push covid vaccination stories, immigration, asylum seekers, "wealth tax is double taxation". All that utter BS

The world really needs to get a grip on what is really happening. We are getting fleeced by the 0.1% while our societies are fighting over bread crumbs and extreme ideologies becoming more and more mainstream

Where I'm at. Goon Squad has always existed, mind. And not just here.

Every country has a third of people who are more than happy to hear how everything wrong is the fault of foreigners etc. Not rich foreigners, mind. Just the poor powerless ones...

HOLA4413

So many of the houses I’ve been gazumped or outbid on never appear on the Land Registry database. I can only assume that they were enjoying a SDLT holiday due to being purchased by offshore entities. Gives me a warm feeling inside (unlike the crumbling home I’m trying to replace).

HOLA4414
3 hours ago, Pop321 said:

At least in the early 80’s people knew how to riot

Are people dissuaded from rioting in large part because there is a lot more surveillance now?

3 hours ago, Pop321 said:

The Blair’s avoid £312k in stamp duty when buying £6.45m property.

Do you think there are any scenarios in which this could backfire? If they owned directly they would be liable for CGT when selling. As they own in a company they would pay corporation tax on profits when selling. Then they would pay taxes if they took the proceeds out of the corporation. Is it possible they would end up paying more tax as a result?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Nice to see Philip Green filling his boots whilst 11,000 employees lost their jobs and he leaves a £571m hole in the pension fund. 

In 2015 he (sorry Mrs Green of course) sold a £54m property to a company they owned whilst BHS headed for collapse. Identity hidden via off shore accounts…obviously.  

Also bought a £15m apartment in Mayfair and a new home for their daughter near Buckingham Palace, bought for £10.6m in 2016.

Sir Philip and Lady Green declined to answer detailed questions, suggesting that these were private matters.

So the belief of these type of people is mind your own business you scum and pay your tax and new higher rate NI.

Keep voting right and keep those commies out….but please shut the f4ck up about the ‘leftie BBC’ and how unfair this all is. Establishment is run by the few, for the few and any ‘leftie’ bits that get out in the press are deliberate and even all WOKEY to keep you to the right.

Labour are rubbish (Blair example), liberals too….but if you support and defend the status quo Eton Club then sit back and enjoy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58792393