House Price Crash Forum
bandylegs

Should I Stay Or Should I Go...

I'm considering jobs in Cornwall looking to relocate from the South East with Mrs. and Master Bandylegs in tow.

I've applied for a job in St Ives, it would be about at least £5k less than what I would expect the same role in the South East to pay. Effectively It would be a promotion in terms of responsibility for the same money I am on now. Can anybody help me with cost of living information? Obviously I'll be renting for the foreseeable after assuming the crash position some years ago.

I have a placed a high value on the improved quality of life we will have living in such a beautiful area, I'm really just wanting to be sure that we won't be in the poor house.

Moderators - Please let this sit in the main forum for a while before it gets moved to a sub forum.

I can't help you with the cost of living in St. Ives but I can tell you that, re my avatar, St. Ives has a surprisingly high concentration of Masked Tulip types in such a small town...

So that is something that you might want to take into account before deciding on moving down there. Just be careful of whose dinner invitations you accept and try and read between the lines! ;)

It is like Stepford but with lots of leather and rubber! :ph34r:

I can't help you with the cost of living in St. Ives but I can tell you that, re my avatar, St. Ives has a surprisingly high concentration of Masked Tulip types in such a small town...

So that is something that you might want to take into account before deciding on moving down there. Just be careful of whose dinner invitations you accept and try and read between the lines! ;)

It is like Stepford but with lots of leather and rubber! :ph34r:

Cripes! Sounds like I would be utterly out of my depth, what would do they do to a pair of fresh faced southern innocents.

I’ll have to factor it in. ;)

Well Bandy legs i live down here in cornwall and the quality of life is great, incresed costs only likley to be transport you will NEED a car i shop for most things except food online.

House price inflation down here is totally shocking average house price around 15 to 16 times average wage (average wage very very low!!)

Shop around for a place to rent there are bargins available, you can afford to live a reasonable distance from work as the traffic is light and i dont see traffic lights for weeks!! (watch out in summer though for winabago warriors!!!!!)

Finding a good cheap long term let is the most important thing.

I have found an ITR landlord (Inherited to Rent) and pay less than £400 month for a 3 bed detatched bungalow

5 minutes walk from the beach so they are out there just need to hunt them out.

Good Luck you wont regret it!!

Phil :D

light and i dont see traffic lights for weeks!! (watch out in summer though for winabago warriors!!!!!)

Finding a good cheap long term let is the most important thing.

I have found an ITR landlord (Inherited to Rent) and pay less than £400 month for a 3 bed detatched bungalow

5 minutes walk from the beach so they are out there just need to hunt them out.

Good Luck you wont regret it!!

Phil :D

That sounds great. I'd expect to pay £600 at least for a similar property (slightly further from the beach) where I am now. That £200 would be most of the wage differential straight off. What is the council tax like?

About £1000 a year i think water rates are shocking though South West Water are the biggest con merchant/poisoners around you should be able to check bands and rated on the cornwall county councils website!

Phil

Friends of mine re-located down there (to Hayle, a few miles from St Ives) a couple of years ago. We have visited once.

Eating out etc can be surprisingly expensive because of the tourist trade, even outside the main tourist towns.

Hayle seems like a good place to live - much cheaper than St Ives itself but still near a very pretty beach. Fine white sand etc.

Beatiful place to live but can get very busy in the summer. Almost impossible to find car parking space in the town centre. Lots of nice little seafood places etc..

I would expect to pay around £600-£700 for half decent accommodation (3 bed). At the moment there seem to be quite a lot of rentals available. I'm with an ITR landlord too.. Great aren't they. I also pay a very reasonable rent £530 for a 3 bed detached cottage with large garden (village setting). I would suggest you try and find a private rental before Agency as they often have silly charges etc. I've never had to pay deposit so far (must be my honest appearance) :P

For council tax bands in Cornwall check this website:

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/index.cfm?artic...FTOKEN=33053316

Good luck with the job hunt in Cornwall!!

Good luck with the job hunt in Cornwall!!

Thanks very much. It would seem that after finding the job my first task is to find an ITR landlord but I must remember that I have to be careful about dinner invitations.

Edited by bandylegs

Accept the dinner invitations with an open mind - remember to wear clean underwear!

That part of the world is actually home to several B&Bs that have complete dungeons somewhere in the property. They market weekend breaks to fetish folk and charge a small fortune for full english and use of the dungeon per couple per night! So if you stay in a B&B down there and you hear creaking and moaning of a night - get up and investigate! :unsure:

Actually, I am just winding you up. I just want you and your other half to attend the first dinner party wearing your wellies, rubber flasher macs and each carrying an overtly over-sized parsnip only to discover that dinner jackets and evening flocks are being worn by everyone else!

Of course, even now I could be toying with you! ;)

Hey have i coined a new phrase "ITR" if i have i'm © copyriting it 10p or a mini mars bar to me each time its used please.

Oh and bandy legs you will of course have to apply for your cornish visa at the embassy in london and learn cornish!!! :P

Phil

My grandparents have lived in Cornwall for 20 years. They like it very much as it is stays warmer all year round.

My parents tried it for 5 years and got a bit down with the winter weather. I think if you are an outdoor type and don't mind the wind, rain and fog (especially in Winter) then you will be fine. Plus you shouldn't mind not living near a big city or town. There's only one way out of Cornwall, back up through Devon so it can seem a bit isolated especially in Winter. The beaches and coast are outstanding but the interior is weather beaten and a bit bleak.

I like it a lot but would prefer to live in Devon as it has great road links and some contrasting places to visit. It might even be cheaper to buy than Cornwall as well!

Me and Mrs.Pobby lived by the Cornish coast for over 9 years.Very mixed feelings about it but had the added pressure of running a business in nearby Plymouth and hitting negative equity in the 90s.

Had some nice times there but know,as us,a number of people who have now moved out.It is cut off,what work is poorly paid and it is very reliant on the summer months tourism.

Do your research and unless you have a government job dont be overly optermistic as to what you may earn.

I'd love to live in St Ives. I have friends in Carbis Bay and have stayed with them on numerous occasions. My long term dream is to live there. It's a particularly sought-after area and what you'll find is that is is largely populated by welathy retired folk or very high-earning city types who live there on a weekend and in a flat in London during the week. There isn't much in the way of decent paying work and most trade is seasonal. House prices are very silly there, though more a reflection of its desirability than any housing bubble, so if anyone actually knows of a job in the St Ives or Panzance area that pays enough to get on the property ladder down there I'd love to know about it.

so if anyone actually knows of a job in the St Ives or Panzance area that pays enough to get on the property ladder down there I'd love to know about it.

I hear the fetish B&Bs charge about £250 per night per couple but that does include a full english breakfast and use of the singapore sling!

Darling you gotta let me know

Should I stay or should I go?

If you say that you are mine

I’ll be here ’til the end of time

So you got to let know

Always tease tease tease

Siempre - coqetiando y enganyando

You’re happy when I’m on my knees

Me arrodilla y estas feliz

One day is fine, next is black

Un dias bien el otro negro

So if you want me off your back

Al rededar en tu espalda

Well come on and let me know

Me tienes que desir

Me debo ir o que darme

Should I stay or should I go now?

If I go there will be trouble

An’ if I stay it will be double

So come on and let me know

This indecision’s bugging me

Esta undecision me molesta

If you don’t want me, set me free

Si no me quieres, librame

Exactly who’m I’m supposed to be

Diga me que tengo ser

Don’t you know which clothes even fit me?

¡§saves que robas me querda?

Come on and let me know

Me tienes que desir

Should I cool it or should I blow?

¡§me debo ir o quedarme?

¡§yo me frio o lo sophlo?

If I go there will be trouble

Si me voi - va ver peligro

And if I stay it will be double

Si me quedo es doble

So you gotta let me know

Me tienes que decir

¡§yo me frio o lo sophlo?

Edited by GCS15

The pasties are okay. I wouldn't want to live in cornwall. Too far from London.

I would of thought that would be a good reason to live in cornwall, any way its only just over an hour if you fly ;)

Phil

Thanks for the thoughts everybody, much appreciated.

If St Ives is full of the rich and the old I'm not sure we would enjoy it so much. Anybody know of cheaper more down to earth communities in the locality?