House Price Crash Forum

Scouting for Petrol........................

shlomo

HOLA441
  • Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Public services in Surrey consider declaring a major incident

Public services in Surrey are considering declaring a major incident in response to the fuel supply crisis, according to PA Media this evening.

Surrey County Council’s Conservative leader Tim Oliver said:

“We have been experiencing the same problems as everyone else so we are deciding whether or not to declare a major incident which would give the forum powers to prioritise key workers.

“We have got access to fuel supplies which we can designate for priority workers so social workers can be given a card which enables them to access those supplies.

“We have also got our own electric vehicles so our role would be to coordinate that activity so those people who need to travel can.”

Guardian

HOLA443
19 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

My SUV can do 400+ miles on a full tank so buying a Jerry can is ridiculous 

HOLA444
HOLA445
12 minutes ago, FTB-house-hunter said:

For anyone who earns a normal wage I imagine.  Is the average yearly wage about 30k?  Paying £767 per month, on top of a mortgage and bills is beyond what the majoirty of the UK could afford.  Fair play for you if you can tho, would love a model 3!  Enjoy the car :)

Yes i am lucky now, could have bought it outright, but like hoarding my capital to generate income. The way my wife drives she would never get more than 50 mpg in the most economical 70 mpg Diesel . She does however get free 7kw charging at work and could drive the whole 75 mile return journey at 100mph in the Tesla, and still have range left over. 

then you have the fact that 20k p/a PCP or leases are not cheap, as you are paying the depreciation.  Looking at todays costs, 1.5 gallons a day of diesel at £1.40 ltr , say £9.5 a day in diesel x 21 days a month on average. 

£200 pcm on diesel, then at least £180 p/a on Car tax or more, £15 pcm, so £215.  £0 zero luxury £40k+ car tax on BEV's , for any £40k ICE you pay £335 p/a for years 2-5 , so a keep an ICE for 5 years, that's another £1340 , £22,5 pcm for the first 5 years. 

so for a £40k+ ice you are now at 237.50 pcm, then you have to buy / lease / PCP and service it for 5 years. Lets say £600 p/a for servicing, that's another £50 pcm.  No requirement from Tesla to ever service the car to maintain any warranties. 

Now at £287.50 pcm plus you have to  buy . lease , PCP a car.   £767 - 287.50 is £479.50. 

So the question really is, What ICE can you Buy, lease or PCP for £479.50 a month for 20k miles p/a , that pound for pound will be better than a Tesla Model 3 Long range ?

HOLA446
HOLA447

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/27/fuel-activist-is-furious-after-woke-trolls-list-his-home-as-a-petrol-station-15324615/?ito=facebook|social|metroukfacebook&fbclid=IwAR3pBsC-4PHg7qfxscPfu8wAH2HOfCFNrkfPjyBJ_B8NUtBjtJfW8ycx7us

A fuel campaigner has been inundated with phone calls from desperate motorists, after pranksters registered his home as a petrol station on Google Maps.

Users of the website saw a picture of a BP garage forecourt where Howard Cox’s house should have been, amid soaring demand for fuel In the UK.

An unamused Mr Cox, who founded FairFuelUK – a group calling for cheaper petrol prices – received more than 70 calls from drivers hoping to fill up their tanks.

That was despite the troublemakers leaving a one star review for the ‘petrol station’, which read: ‘Old and a bit smelly. But the fuel is cheap’.

PRC_202096076.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&z

HOLA448
2 minutes ago, shlomo said:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/27/fuel-activist-is-furious-after-woke-trolls-list-his-home-as-a-petrol-station-15324615/?ito=facebook|social|metroukfacebook&fbclid=IwAR3pBsC-4PHg7qfxscPfu8wAH2HOfCFNrkfPjyBJ_B8NUtBjtJfW8ycx7us

A fuel campaigner has been inundated with phone calls from desperate motorists, after pranksters registered his home as a petrol station on Google Maps.

Users of the website saw a picture of a BP garage forecourt where Howard Cox’s house should have been, amid soaring demand for fuel In the UK.

An unamused Mr Cox, who founded FairFuelUK – a group calling for cheaper petrol prices – received more than 70 calls from drivers hoping to fill up their tanks.

That was despite the troublemakers leaving a one star review for the ‘petrol station’, which read: ‘Old and a bit smelly. But the fuel is cheap’.

PRC_202096076.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&z

😂

HOLA449

I hope this carries on and on excepting a impact on emergency services etc that I assume will be protected. Hopefully put the idea of the "War on Motorists" to bed. Fecking ridiculous phrase when its actually motorists and the motor industry that been waging war on our towns and cities for decades.

HOLA4410
1 minute ago, smash said:

I hope this carries on and on excepting a impact on emergency services etc that I assume will be protected. Hopefully put the idea of the "War on Motorists" to bed. Fecking ridiculous phrase when its actually motorists and the motor industry that been waging war on our towns and cities for decades.

Cool, Emergency orders like in 2001 fuel for emergency and critical services only, EV's inherit the roads. 😆

HOLA4411
9 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

:D 

Real question for @Orb - how much does it cost to get an HGV license these days? I've a mate who got one to drive an imported bus, but his wife said it was too expensive for her to get one as well (she might just be using that as an excuse).

IMO if it costs a bundle to get a license it makes sense for UK gov to subsidise while we address supply issues. But then, I'm not sitting in a cushy office in parliament.

In 2004 I spent £2000 on getting my artic licence. That broke down to £850 for rigids (Category C) then £1150 for artics (Category C+E). I passed Cat C and Cat C+E first time, otherwise any retest would have been £400 each time. 

These days I hear it's around £3000. However, I think the government have either done away with, or are very soon about to do away with passing Cat C before progressing to Cat C+E, meaning any candidate can go from car to C+E. If that's the case it might make it cheaper, or the training schools may adjust prices so they're not out of pocket. 

Either way I'd say £3000 is a good ball park figure to expect, assuming one passes first time. 

I was earning £13k in 2004, and once I passed my tests I started a job literally the next week at £26k and never looked back. Now I'm on £40k for 42 hours per week. It was probably the best investment I made in myself. 

HOLA4412
2 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

You say that, but have you ever owned an Audi ?

I would guesstimate £750 a year for the performance spec models at a dealer is reasonable. And before anyone says "find a good independent" bear in mind that these are pretty complex vehicles and the training that independents have is very variable.

I do like the cars but the maintenance is another story. if I ever buy another I am going to budget £1000 pa for servicing and other costs such as tyres etc and that way I won't get mad when it actually happens.

On EV servicing:  do you have to get it professionally serviced every so often to maintain the warranty?

If so how often and how much ?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
16 minutes ago, kzb said:

On EV servicing:  do you have to get it professionally serviced every so often to maintain the warranty?

I actually don't think the full electric ones need servicing. They have very few moving parts. Owing to regenerative braking they don't even need brake pads replacing. Literally just tyres, a bit of minor wear and tear like wipers and anything you break.

https://electrek.co/2020/09/26/tesla-model-3-high-mileage-extreme-low-cost-minimal-battery-degradation/

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
9 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I actually don't think the full electric ones need servicing. They have very few moving parts. Owing to regenerative braking they don't even need brake pads replacing. Literally just tyres, a bit of minor wear and tear like wipers and anything you break.

https://electrek.co/2020/09/26/tesla-model-3-high-mileage-extreme-low-cost-minimal-battery-degradation/

So the warranty remains valid if you never take it in for a service ?

HOLA4417
31 minutes ago, kzb said:

Tesla No, every other legacy car maker, yes, it's a bloody rip off, they kick the tyres . plug in a computer and tell you everything is fine, and often charge you almost ICE service prices for nowt. 

Use a HEVRA garage, you will most likely get most services under £100 . 

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
13 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

UK electric car inquiries soar during fuel supply crisis

Sellers of plug-in vehicles say petrol shortages are driving people to adopt the new technology

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/sep/27/uk-electric-car-inquiries-soar-fuel-supply-crisis

More fool them. The charging infrastructure (and vehicle milage) is currently not there for an EV revolution. 

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 hour ago, Orb said:

In 2004 I spent £2000 on getting my artic licence. That broke down to £850 for rigids (Category C) then £1150 for artics (Category C+E). I passed Cat C and Cat C+E first time, otherwise any retest would have been £400 each time. 

These days I hear it's around £3000. However, I think the government have either done away with, or are very soon about to do away with passing Cat C before progressing to Cat C+E, meaning any candidate can go from car to C+E. If that's the case it might make it cheaper, or the training schools may adjust prices so they're not out of pocket. 

Either way I'd say £3000 is a good ball park figure to expect, assuming one passes first time. 

I was earning £13k in 2004, and once I passed my tests I started a job literally the next week at £26k and never looked back. Now I'm on £40k for 42 hours per week. It was probably the best investment I made in myself. 

V interesting thank you. I did suggest that friend with license do some haulage but was swiftly told he’s not keen. Probably bc he’s a lazy landlord.

Waitrose salaries are starting 50k+ from what I read - you thinking about maximising money?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
12 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Waitrose salaries are starting 50k+ from what I read - you thinking about maximising money?

I'm highly sceptical about that wage for a 40 hour week. My guess is they're contracted for 10 hours per day, 5 days a week. I only work 3.5 days per week on average, and am happy with my 42 hours. I've got a good gig going on at the minute. 

HOLA4424
6 minutes ago, Orb said:

I'm highly sceptical about that wage for a 40 hour week. My guess is they're contracted for 10 hours per day, 5 days a week. I only work 3.5 days per week on average, and am happy with my 42 hours. I've got a good gig going on at the minute. 

Isn't that amount of driving just, well, shattering??

HOLA4425
31 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

More fool them. The charging infrastructure (and vehicle milage) is currently not there for an EV revolution. 

Ice habits will alter to new EV habits. We have 300+ mile EVs (at 60mph, not 90mph) with 30 min 20% to 80% charging times. Cost is the bigger issue. It will evolve fast but  500 mile range with 10 min charging is not needed. People soon get used to “filling up” at home overnight and always leaving.home with a full tank if they need it.