House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
what

Who Remebers The Fuel Crisis ?

Remember the Fuel Crisis???

Brittish mentality of panic buying. Everyone rushed to the petrol pumps in fear that there would be no fuel left.

Same with property?? The VI's are continuosly telling the average FTB buy now or you will never get on the property ladder and as a result the average FTB is panic buying property.

To all stupid FTB out there.

1) There is no shortage of property.

2) House prices WILL not keep going up forever

3) Interest rates are not ALWAYS going to be kept low.

Remember the SECOND 'fuel crisis' recently, again, people queueing outside petrol stations - only this time the govenment had effectively legislated against the protests that happened last time

People don't see the underlying detail in events, only the media headlines

I was only a nipper but remember it well. We had to use candles in the evening and could not cook food or have a hot cuppa because there was no electricity. I remember buying the last loaf in the bakers because they had no power to light their ovens and cook bread.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Watching TV only to have the screen go blank and the lights go out for the rest of the night. The "Save It" campaign they ran to get people to cut down on energy usage (heaven knows how much more electricity we'd have used if we had Playstations, VCRs and PCs back then).

Next door were particularly affected by the power cuts as their cooker was electric, at least we had could cook using gas.

Queues for petrol and handpainted signs in the forecourt saying "No Petrol".

Inflation at 25% or so.

Ah yes chiildren, you've got all this to look forward to.

And worse. :(

Watching TV only to have the screen go blank and the lights go out for the rest of the night. The "Save It" campaign they ran to get people to cut down on energy usage (heaven knows how much more electricity we'd have used if we had Playstations, VCRs and PCs back then).

Next door were particularly affected by the power cuts as their cooker was electric, at least we had could cook using gas.

Inflation at 25% or so.

Bring it on - it may instill a little bit of social solidarity and a slice of humble pie back into society and that can only be a good thing.

I remember the 1970's well - I was only a kid but I have a long memory. I have never, ever lived in a home that relies on one fuel (gas or electric). If I can't cook at least I can stay warm and vice versa if we get power cuts.

remember the candles and sitting around the fireplace.

Cooker was gas so we could boil water to wash. All seemed like good fun when you're 8 years old.

I think we're a totally dependant on electricity these days. No freezer, no microwave, no internet :blink: no HPC? - how would we survive?

Inflation at 25% or so.

Yes but all I remember of the 70's was long summers, Abba, slade, the silver jubilee street party, playing footy til it went dark and me dads Watney's party seven. Can I go back, I liked it.

Yes but all I remember of the 70's was long summers, Abba, slade, the silver jubilee street party, playing footy til it went dark and me dads Watney's party seven. Can I go back, I liked it.

I'll come with you. You left out The Tomorrow People!

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Snap, the 60s and 70s the best times of my life. :D

Bring it on - it may instill a little bit of social solidarity and a slice of humble pie back into society and that can only be a good thing.

Too true :)

I can remember it a little. I remember the candles and the curtain starting to smoulder. What fun. Not sure I fancy going back to it though.

Been reading a few books about Peak Oil of late. Scary stuff. Looks like we might be going back to that before the decade is through.

Anybody know any good suppliers of home Solar PV / Wind power ? Been ringing round a few places but they seem a bit mickey mouse. Everyone seems to be reading from a script when you ask questions. I just want to know what I need to do to power my house when the grids fail.

Can you still buy coal ?

Can you still buy coal ?

Ah, Wales will have a second chance at becoming the Kuwait of coal! (This time we must remember not to give all the profits to the English and settling for winning close harmony singing competitions!).

Ah, Wales will have a second chance at becoming the Kuwait of coal! (This time we must remember not to give all the profits to the English and settling for winning close harmony singing competitions!).

My other half is a quarter Welsh apparently, so can we have some ?

Of course you can. I am not sure how a lump of coal will help power a solar powered cell but...

Joking aside, the Germans are apparently the leaders in solar power cells so look for German makes.

Solar is a joke in this country, if you think that's going to progress us past oil then you're sadly mistaken.

Though you could cut down a pine tree and try and ignite it with a magnifying glass.

P.S. You can do coal > oil, this is easier than stuffing chunks of coal into a petrol tank apparently.

Japan is a leader in solar, Sanyo built a massive Solar Ark

p06b.jpg

But it's largely a folly or PR exercise, the maximum power output (assuming the sun was at a perfect angle) is 630 kW,

Sizewell B for example produces 1.2GW, which is 1200000 kilowatts

Drax coal station produces 4GW, or 4000000 kilowatts

Total power capacity in the UK is 78.5GW (78500000 kilowatts), and we also import energy from France.

So provided we build over 130,000 Solar Arks and the sun always shines perfectly and doesn't go away at night, we should be fine. Then you have all the embedded fossil energy needed to make the panels, hrm, this even makes wind power look rational!

See what I mean by joke? I wasn't being flippant.

Edited by BuyingBear

We saw a coal lorry the other day!

Remember the good old days when the coal man would throw the coal down the shute ....

At the moment diesel I imagine.(Although we have biodiesel in Manchester at the moment)

We saw what looked like a rag and bone truck this morning too. It needed a horse to give it the authentic feel but otherwise was just the thing

Clean Air Act is passed signalling a decrease in the number of open fires in homes as they are replaced by central heating fuelled by oil, gas or electricity. Consequently the composition of household waste changes from being predominantly ash, dust and cinder from fires, to being made up of other wastes such as food and paper which would previously have been put on the fire.

http://www.wasteonline.org.uk/resources/In...toryofWaste.htm

An interesting point particularly when the govt is now looking at incinerating waste (HEck doesn't that use gas?)

http://www.uksmokecontrolareas.co.uk/

is a useful place to start

An interesting point particularly when the govt is now looking at incinerating waste (HEck doesn't that use gas?)

It's not incineration anymore it's now called "biomass energy" :lol:

I expect it uses some gas to keep the flare alight but most of the energy would be from the waste. I hear the only things they want to landfill is the ash or the things they can't burn (biomassify?). Which looks a lot like how you just described things years ago, except instead of burning our own paper or food we ship it 30 miles on the back of a lorry so someone else can do it for us.

Solar is a joke in this country, if you think that's going to progress us past oil then you're sadly mistaken.

Though you could cut down a pine tree and try and ignite it with a magnifying glass.

P.S. You can do coal > oil, this is easier than stuffing chunks of coal into a petrol tank apparently.

p06b.jpg

But it's largely a folly or PR exercise, the maximum power output (assuming the sun was at a perfect angle) is 630 kW,

Total power capacity in the UK is 78.5GW (78500000 kilowatts), and we also import energy from France.

So provided we build over 130,000 Solar Arks and the sun always shines perfectly and doesn't go away at night, we should be fine. Then you have all the embedded fossil energy needed to make the panels, hrm, this even makes wind power look rational!

I suspected from other books I'd read that Solar wasn't going to be particularly useful. Athough 630Kw is probably enough to get me by. Although I'm not sure that the neighbours will be too pleased with that stuck on top of my roof. They didn't like the last home improvement I made either. Although Krusty said it would give the house kerb appeal.

shark_big.jpeg

If these renewables don't work then we are a bit stuffed I guess ?

post-3682-1139945687.jpeg

Good post!!!

Thing is the only really practical trick to Solar energy is a photopanel technology used to replace roof tiles or a covering membane over open building surfaces... but this is never going to be efficient unless included as part of a modern home heating/electricity generating system. Some installations can even be profit making in terms of the yearly domestic revenue of energy consumption (i.e. You can potentially sell off excess energy back to a national supplier) but the initial sunk costs generally take 5-20 years to cover.

Facts are that only through local/home energy technologies and a more diverse electricity feed network can we reduce global warming/dependancy on national/internaional energy providers... its a shame that the VI's in this industry would never permit this kind of radical approach to energy network decentralisation.

There are some great articles out there on this subject and lots of agencies are now developing at regional and local levels to support home installations, some even provide grants as well as informaton/industry contacts....

Shame it'll probably take some serious incident to occur before this gets given serious consideration...

ho-hum

- Pye (Property Speculation Ninja :ph34r: )