House Price Crash Forum

London V Bradford

shlomo

HOLA441
1 hour ago, shlomo said:

That is just area elitism, I am sure some parts of Bradford are better some part of Leeds

I can assure you that the worst parts of Leeds are just as bad as the worst parts of Bradford. In fact I think they are worse. 

I worked in Harehills (Leeds) for about a week and I can remember walking down this street where pretty much every other house had metal bars guarding the windows and doors. It shocked me. It wasn't that they existed, I'd seen the same in bad parts of Bradford but the sheer number of houses that had them. Prison came to mind. I've never seen anything like it in Bradford, not on that scale. On the other hand the rich parts of Leeds (Alwoodley) are far more affluent than any area in Bradford . . . but you'll pay for it, just not quite London prices. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
1 hour ago, miguel said:

I can assure you that the worst parts of Leeds are just as bad as the worst parts of Bradford. 

It's true. I'd happily live in Bradford but my kids are settled in my particular suburb of Leeds more by chance than anything else.

HOLA443

Back from a visit to parents in cornwall and spent a day in plymouth and exeter and was surprised at the number of luxury shops in exeter with very few empty and loads of students and wealthy looking shoppers everywhere.  Plymouth has a nice shopping centre at the top of the town but the rest at the other end very poor with lots of empty shops.  My old workplace in 1991/2 (Norwich Union now Aviva still empty aftwer closing in 1993).

Plymouth hoe and the royal william yard and mount wise views still stunning as ever and lots of flats been built looks like many have wood cladding and balconies which might be caught up in the claddi9ng crisis.

I would rate Plymouth similar o bradford and Exeter similar to Oxford with good university and lots of wealth.   

HOLA444
3 hours ago, shlomo said:

But would you take, Nottingham, Liverpool, Glasgow 

Used to work in Nottingham, I found it surprisingly rough, I had preconceptions it was quite nice before I worked there.  Seemed to have a lot of "social problems".

Did some work in Liverpool, the area I was working felt very deprived (Edge Lane just outside the city centre), I think they have done quite a bit of work rejuvenating the place (but often that is just surface deep, and the rejuvenation is only in high profile areas).

No idea about Glasgow (wasn't Glasgow once the second biggest city in Britain?)

Edited by reddog

HOLA445
4 hours ago, shlomo said:

But would you take, Nottingham, Liverpool, Glasgow 

To be fair I live in a North Yorkshire town…..I wouldn’t consider 98% of London never mind a tier 2 or 3 city 😉

HOLA446
53 minutes ago, reddog said:

Used to work in Nottingham, I found it surprisingly rough, I had preconceptions it was quite nice before I worked there.  Seemed to have a lot of "social problems".

Did some work in Liverpool, the area I was working felt very deprived (Edge Lane just outside the city centre), I think they have done quite a bit of work rejuvenating the place (but often that is just surface deep, and the rejuvenation is only in high profile areas).

No idea about Glasgow (wasn't Glasgow once the second biggest city in Britain?)

Even the roughest cities have decent suburbs.

HOLA447
9 hours ago, spyguy said:

Wrong city.

With Covid around, are London office viable?

Mass transit i.e .tube is now a bit of a no-no for a few years.

obviously you haven't been on the tube last couple of weeks, packed at rush hour period again, not at pre-covid levels admittedly, but approx 80%