House Price Crash Forum

Sunak moves into panic mode over mounting UK inflation, and plans to slash borrowing:

HOLA441
HOLA442
37 minutes ago, gruffydd said:

https://www.ft.com/content/eb23375d-7219-4b22-a8a7-3060cd848163 "The spectre of higher inflation — and rising interest rates — is concerning Sunak"

Sunak to bring in new measures to reign in borrowing. LOL.

Talk about shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, gone over the next paddock, took a jump, cleared the earths atmosphere and is now making it's way past the kyper belt. 

Edited by IMHAL

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
2 hours ago, IMHAL said:

Talk about shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, gone over the next paddock, took a jump, cleared the earths atmosphere and is now making it's way past the kyper belt. 

And he and his mates were the ones that rammed the carrot up its exhaust pipe in the first place...

Edited by btd1981

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Sorry but if anyone can no longer afford their indebtedness due to higher interest rates on any excess property they hold they can sell it.....a huge weight off their shoulders, nobody is forced to own more than one home.

I think though it is not the people's debt they are that worried about, it is the increased cost of the high national debt that has been incurred to help keep the show on the road, the volume of extra money pushed into the economy that causes inflation, the extra debt to pay that has an indirect impact on all of us......higher import prices, weakening pound.;)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

He's frozen an increase in allowances for income tax for 5 years. Higher Income Child Benefit Charge was launched in Jan 2013 and hasn't increased since, coming up to the best part of a decade now and no chance of that increasing anytime soon either. We know council tax will increase above the official inflation figure as it does every year apart from the rare years a forced freeze is in place. 

Perhaps VAT is the only major tax that hasn't been increased 😉

HOLA4414
11 minutes ago, Tiger131 said:

Which tax is Sunak going to increase to slash borrowing? The last tax rise didn't exactly go down well with the voters.

I have a possible theory that the NI hike was intended to poke the hornet's nest of indignation at soaking the poor, so when higher taxes are applied to the rich in the autumn they don't have any grounds for complaint. 

maybe

HOLA4415
9 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I have a possible theory that the NI hike was intended to poke the hornet's nest of indignation at soaking the poor, so when higher taxes are applied to the rich in the autumn they don't have any grounds for complaint. 

maybe

It's not that easy to raise a lot of money just targeting the "rich". First of all there aren't that many really rich people around, secondly where is the dividing line between the masses and the rich, what is being rich, having 1+ million in a cash bank account, 7 BTLs etc. etc? That's why they love increasing taxes on employment income, it's very easy to do.

Edited by Tiger131

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
5 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

The over indebted can ho bankrupt and never hopefully make the same mistake again.

I've been an over indebted fookwit in my time.

They don't make you bankrupt. 

You have to do it if you want that.

Last I heard its court fee was increased from a nominal amount to £750 a pop as lots were doing it.

Btw I didn't but I knew some who did.

HOLA4419
10 hours ago, IMHAL said:

Yes, the horse has already been eaten and is half way round the U-Bend, these guys are a laugh if nothing else.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
7 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

Exactly.  Everyone knows what's needed.  IR's at at least 6%.

Yeah, I can afford that, having paid my mortgage down early. Might f*^% FTBs.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
18 hours ago, winkie said:

Sorry but if anyone can no longer afford their indebtedness due to higher interest rates on any excess property they hold they can sell it.....a huge weight off their shoulders, nobody is forced to own more than one home.

I think though it is not the people's debt they are that worried about, it is the increased cost of the high national debt that has been incurred to help keep the show on the road, the volume of extra money pushed into the economy that causes inflation, the extra debt to pay that has an indirect impact on all of us......higher import prices, weakening pound.;)

Why they are also very unlikely to raise rates as the burden on government debt would increase.

If anything, they are likely to lower the base rate.

They spent, spent and spent some more, they knew this would happen. It was all to allow inflation and then push up wages, to erode debt. 

This is just a signal to the market's, that we will become fiscally responsible again.

Edited by Speed1987

HOLA4424
22 hours ago, gruffydd said:

https://www.ft.com/content/eb23375d-7219-4b22-a8a7-3060cd848163 "The spectre of higher inflation — and rising interest rates — is concerning Sunak"

22 hours ago, IMHAL said:

Phew, at least Sunak has his finger on the pulse and starting to worry about inflation. In a couple of years he might even be suggesting that maybe interest rates should rise. Then in 5 years time maybe a couple of BoE pricing members may have voted for an increase giving clear signals ‘to the market’.

Rates will only rise when it’s thrust upon them….the world collaboration on pumping money has never been so strong. It will take something non financial to create a real political break and then maybe an outlier will increase rates and the cards will tumble. Could be a month, could be a decade…

Sit back and enjoy the many vanilla statements in the meantime that will come from government and enjoy the NI rise.

HOLA4425