House Price Crash Forum

Newbuild hate

iamnumerate

HOLA441
12 hours ago, pig said:

By coincidence was looking at these today:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/14/take-a-look-at-these-stunning-award-winning-buildings-15254128/

In another universe from the buildings @PeanutButter posted.

They're crap. Chosen because designers suffer as much from a sense of what is "fashionable" as the rest of us.

There are some beautiful modern builds around. I walk past several on my strolls around where I live. I can't afford them but I can admire them.

This is the style I love:

6d5740ecaee8d500b2862aee2f12e445.jpg

HOLA442
6 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

They're crap. Chosen because designers suffer as much from a sense of what is "fashionable" as the rest of us.

There are some beautiful modern builds around. I walk past several on my strolls around where I live. I can't afford them but I can admire them.

This is the style I love:

6d5740ecaee8d500b2862aee2f12e445.jpg

For me its a mixed bunch but interesting to see contemporary design against existing.

Quite like this image, how it expresses 'shelter' in basic stone and wood. What kind of homes near you ?

HOLA443
7 minutes ago, pig said:

For me its a mixed bunch but interesting to see contemporary design against existing.

Quite like this image, how it expresses 'shelter' in basic stone and wood. What kind of homes near you ?

I had not thought about that aspect, but quite right.

Near me, I'm lucky enough to live where they're predominantly detached and an eclectic mix of styles. Some ugly, some beautiful. On some of the private roads they've really created some nice houses in a mix of modern and old. They don't come up for sale very often so I can't link any (also don't want to give away personal location). But some of them are approaching the style above.

HOLA444
27 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Bingo. Finds a way to blame immigrants in a thread about how shit the UK's housing quality is. Love it.

I am happy that you are happy, although I think that the term "House" is more relevant here.

Please do not allow your eagerness to fulfill the role of the virtuous SJW to cloud your judgement, it will not serve you well in the future. If you stop and read my post I think its clear to anyone that I am actually referring to "they" as being the developers who are using cheap imported labour. I doubt that such developers are immigrants and I also doubt that any imported labour, when given the choice, would choose to do shoddy work.

I write as an ex-immigrant worker myself who was used in place of native labour because I was cheaper...although we like to refer to ourselves as "ex-pats" because it sounds better. In this capacity I have suffered the same sort of prejudice that you seem all to keen to jump on.

HOLA445
11 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

I had not thought about that aspect, but quite right.

Near me, I'm lucky enough to live where they're predominantly detached and an eclectic mix of styles. Some ugly, some beautiful. On some of the private roads they've really created some nice houses in a mix of modern and old. They don't come up for sale very often so I can't link any (also don't want to give away personal location). But some of them are approaching the style above.

The problem with this country is too much volume building. It sounds like your area people have the means to build their own, and perhaps also influence each other. If more people were able to build their own there would be a few buildings that are 10x worse but I think most would be better.

HOLA446
24 minutes ago, pig said:

The problem with this country is too much volume building. It sounds like your area people have the means to build their own, and perhaps also influence each other. If more people were able to build their own there would be a few buildings that are 10x worse but I think most would be better.

Self build is probably never going to be a practical option for the majority, so we need decent stuff for the rest. And whilst in some places quite a different mix of styles works you don't always want that either (everywhere ends up looking like a random hodgepodge that could be anywhere, although you could well argue that's at least better than a collection of unbelievably bland boxes that could be anywhere).

HOLA447
HOLA448
11 minutes ago, winkie said:

Most new builds are built on an estate...one road in one road out often with a roundabout at the end....do we build on roads that go somewhere anymore?;)

I suppose the answer is usually "no" because people don't like traffic going past their front door. I believe that approach to an estate results in it feeling like an isolated entity plonked there, disconnected from the rest of the place, and not an integral part of it though.

HOLA449
20 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

I suppose the answer is usually "no" because people don't like traffic going past their front door. I believe that approach to an estate results in it feeling like an isolated entity plonked there, disconnected from the rest of the place, and not an integral part of it though.

Hence why Span estates are sought after. 

HOLA4410
2 hours ago, Roman Roady said:

I am happy that you are happy, although I think that the term "House" is more relevant here.

Please do not allow your eagerness to fulfill the role of the virtuous SJW to cloud your judgement, it will not serve you well in the future. If you stop and read my post I think its clear to anyone that I am actually referring to "they" as being the developers who are using cheap imported labour. I doubt that such developers are immigrants and I also doubt that any imported labour, when given the choice, would choose to do shoddy work.

I write as an ex-immigrant worker myself who was used in place of native labour because I was cheaper...although we like to refer to ourselves as "ex-pats" because it sounds better. In this capacity I have suffered the same sort of prejudice that you seem all to keen to jump on.

I'm not going to apologise for pointing out this sort of stupidity no matter how much you cry "SJW!!".

Your argument is transparently finding a way to blame immigrants for the quality of our housing. If the developers had hired locals instead then our housing quality would be better, is your argument. It's absurdly stupid and xenophobic.

Edited by dugsbody

HOLA4411
17 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

I'm not going to apologise for pointing out this sort of stupidity no matter how much you cry "SJW!!".

Your argument is transparently finding a way to blame immigrants for the quality of our housing. If the developers had hired locals instead then our housing quality would be better, is your argument. It's absurdly stupid and xenophobic.

Please calm down, getting so aggravated can’t be good for your overall well-being.

Just a few points:-

I wasn’t asking for an apology, no offence was taken.

I wasn’t “crying” anything.

I have already explained my argument to you and since your emotional state is clearly impacting your judgment on this, let’s agree to stop boring our fellow posters with this non issue now.

Take care

HOLA4412
7 hours ago, Riedquat said:

The answer is no because they don't build new roads anymore, all they have to build the new builds on is a patch of land or field, a garden or knock down one and build another one in its place much larger or a number much smaller with postage stamp gardens or yards...not all roads are busy, not all homes have front doors that open up onto the pavement, though nothing wrong with that........dead end roads, a close or estates for some reason never appealed to me, especially the gated communities.......turn left or right and off and away in both directions.;)

HOLA4413
8 hours ago, Roman Roady said:

Please calm down, getting so aggravated can’t be good for your overall well-being.

I have already explained my argument to you and since your emotional state is clearly impacting your judgment on this, let’s agree to stop boring our fellow posters with this non issue now.

Take care

+ 1

HOLA4414
9 hours ago, Roman Roady said:

Take care

To be fair it has little or nothing to do with "cheap imported labour" - that was an unfortunate comment (EDIT -  that could improve the quality lol)

It has a lot to do with hpi squeezing out investment in the actual bricks and mortar, a lot to do with how few house-builders we have and how little direct input buyers have in their making.

Clearly design is to house-building (especially volume house building) what haute cuisine is to producing mars bars.

Edited by pig

HOLA4415
15 hours ago, winkie said:

The answer is no because they don't build new roads anymore, all they have to build the new builds on is a patch of land or field, a garden or knock down one and build another one in its place much larger or a number much smaller with postage stamp gardens or yards...not all roads are busy, not all homes have front doors that open up onto the pavement, though nothing wrong with that........dead end roads, a close or estates for some reason never appealed to me, especially the gated communities.......turn left or right and off and away in both directions.;)

New roads get built. Not at the rate they were a few decades ago (thank god), but that road building was mostly motorways and similar, so not all that relevant to houses fronting on to them. The majority of other through routes with houses on them predate the housing (although many of them might've just been farm tracks originally). Older housing that's not on a pre-existing through route (with the ribbon development issues that come along with that) will have been built on a network of roads that were built along with the housing. They just didn't go in for planning them with only one way in or out.

I agree with you about the lack of appeal of dead end roads though, I think it's a not insignificant part of creating the isolated, separated, doesn't fit in plonked there but not part of wherever they're built impression.

HOLA4416

https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2021/event/architecture-on-stage-peter-barber-architects?utm_campaign=950478_CCXART160921A&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dotdigital

For the past two decades, Peter Barber Architects has been at the forefront of redefining how we approach the design of social housing, establishing a reputation for playful reinterpretations of traditional housing models such as mansion blocks and back-to-back terraces.

Barber will present the practice’s latest housing projects across London.