House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Nice

The Silver Etf

http://www.freemarketnews.com/Analysis/39/...wid=39&nid=3778

Ok a bit of VI in there. But this is a really golden opportunity (ho ho) to get in or top up in silver.

I own stocks and unallocated physical but I cant ramp the market so make your own choices.

The point is this though. If you believe in precious metals at all then a punt on silver is worth a go because the ETF gives additional upside to the dollar decline etc arguments which apply to gold etc.

Does anyone know if any book makers are offering odds on the ETF being approved?

Guest Riser

http://www.freemarketnews.com/Analysis/39/...wid=39&nid=3778

Ok a bit of VI in there. But this is a really golden opportunity (ho ho) to get in or top up in silver.

I own stocks and unallocated physical but I cant ramp the market so make your own choices.

The point is this though. If you believe in precious metals at all then a punt on silver is worth a go because the ETF gives additional upside to the dollar decline etc arguments which apply to gold etc.

Does anyone know if any book makers are offering odds on the ETF being approved?

Looks like we coud hear if the ETF gets approval as soon as this Friday.

The SEC’s 21-day comment period on the Barclay’s silver ETF is due to expire next Friday (17th February) but being the government, the SEC’s timetable is certainly flexible

The SEC’s 21-day comment period on the Barclay’s silver ETF is due to expire next Friday (17th February) but being the government, the SEC’s timetable is certainly flexible. But even the lamest SEC bureaucrat must be able to read between the lines of the SUA’s protests. If the mere requirement of the presence of actual silver to back a paper silver transaction is somehow disruptive to the preservation of “an orderly silver market,” there must be something seriously out of order in that market.

The Silver Users Association make last ditch appeal

Conclusion The Silver Users Association opposes the creation of a silver ETF because of the concerns that doing so will require the holding of physical silver in allocated accounts, thus removing large amounts of silver from the market. By doing so, the ETF most likely would cause a shortage of silver in the marketplace. This removal of large quantities of physical silver could have a negative impact on silver-industry specific employment as well as the overall economy, both through job losses and inflation. The Silver Users Associations supports the buying and selling of silver as an investment. There are already several ways to do so without creating a potentially harmful situation to industry. We don’t endorse a silver ETF because of the potential liquidity problems it would create. The SUA urges the SEC to take these issues into consideration before it decides whether or not to issue a silver ETF.

Looks like we coud hear if the ETF gets approval as soon as this Friday.

I would prefer a yes of course. But a no could also send the message that there is a real physical shortage of silver in the market.

Will be interesting to see the reaction.

there was a rumour today that the ETF proposal is to be rejected.

i doubt that personally.

silver trades like a dog although had a strong finish on the close today. confirmation of the ETF could even send silver plummeting on a buy the rumour sell the fact trade. the metal complex is certainly very weak technically.

Guest Riser

there was a rumour today that the ETF proposal is to be rejected.

i doubt that personally.

silver trades like a dog although had a strong finish on the close today. confirmation of the ETF could even send silver plummeting on a buy the rumour sell the fact trade. the metal complex is certainly very weak technically.

We could get an ETF decision today Friday 17 Feb in the States. Silver held up well during golds recent correction and it feels strong to me, I am long silver and hope to see it break $10 when the ETF news breaks B)

We could get an ETF decision today Friday 17 Feb in the States. Silver held up well during golds recent correction and it feels strong to me, I am long silver and hope to see it break $10 when the ETF news breaks B)

Me too. Apex silver is up strongly the past two days and could go to $24 according to Salman.

I actually hold 3000 OZ of the physical stuff too. Which is about 100Kg I can build an expensive gym and work out with that!

Well $10 is now a line in the sand. Very nice for all my positions.

I see $12 before the summer as being quite realistic. Many have underestimated the ETF and the supply constraints and will miss out of this action.

And whilst on the subject.....

Silver ETF news

Looks like it may get approval soon.

BR

Frank

One question I have about the ETF is where will they store it? I have 100Kg in an unallocated account which would be about the size of a small television whereas the same cash value of gold would be about the same as dvd box.

When I opened the account I asked if they would do allocated and they said they could'nt store it all!

Guest Riser

One question I have about the ETF is where will they store it? I have 100Kg in an unallocated account which would be about the size of a small television whereas the same cash value of gold would be about the same as dvd box.

When I opened the account I asked if they would do allocated and they said they could'nt store it all!

If you made the account allocated and arranged to pick it up you would be hit with a 17.5% VAT bill which would be another headache on top of how to store and insure the stuff, I am happy to stick with unallocated Silver for now to go along side my unallocated Palladium. :D

This article cleared up some areas of doubt for me re ETF's, in particular silver.

http://www.resourceinvestor.com/pebble.asp?relid=17599

KT

Hi,

It is a long article and has some interesting things in it. For me it raised the question of the tax implication, if I buy shares in this ETF then I am not sure what these are, if the stock is in the US then how do I, a UK citizen, get taxed if at all? Sorry for my naivity but I am sure I'm not alone in this....

Also, IF I decided to take delivery of Silver/Gold I ordered online then would I actually have to pay 17.5% VAT on it??!

Thanks for any insights.

Frank

Hi,

It is a long article and has some interesting things in it. For me it raised the question of the tax implication, if I buy shares in this ETF then I am not sure what these are, if the stock is in the US then how do I, a UK citizen, get taxed if at all? Sorry for my naivity but I am sure I'm not alone in this....

Also, IF I decided to take delivery of Silver/Gold I ordered online then would I actually have to pay 17.5% VAT on it??!

Thanks for any insights.

Frank

As riser pointed out yes you do pay VAT on silver if you actually collect it. However, in thoery at least, VAT is value added so is payable only once until more value is added. So if physical silver always trades at 17.5% above non delivered sivler then this is not neccessarily an issue.

Of course, you need to sell it to someone who appreciates that!

LSE to launch silver tracker fund

A silver price tracker fund, also known as an exchange traded fund, is expected to be launched on the London Stock Exchange within the next month by ETF Securities, which has already launched an oil-backed ETF on the LSE.

Full Article

This is not the Barclays Silver ETF and seems to have popped up from under everyone's radars.

LSE to launch silver tracker fund

A silver price tracker fund, also known as an exchange traded fund, is expected to be launched on the London Stock Exchange within the next month by ETF Securities, which has already launched an oil-backed ETF on the LSE.

Full Article

This is not the Barclays Silver ETF and seems to have popped up from under everyone's radars.

From what I have read these guys dont actually hold physical silver so it is more of a derivative and won't impact the physical market.

From what I have read these guys dont actually hold physical silver so it is more of a derivative and won't impact the physical market.

I've read that too but I don't know how the FSA would have given them approval without a silver long position to reduce their exposure.

Their GBS fund is backed with physical gold so I don't know why this one would be different. When their prospectus is published it should clear this one up.