• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
6 minutes ago, Smiley George said:

Beyond a sick joke now.

Felt quite depressed when I heard this on the radio this morning.

Why? Just because they haven't crashed yet, doesn't mean they won't.

If it's getting you down, maybe focus on doing or improving things which will make you happy. You certainly cannot influence house prices.

HOLA445
1 minute ago, Smiley George said:

Beyond a sick joke now.

Just because of the way things have worked out - buying bungalow to renovate with 1.49% mortgage before selling existing home - wife and I have notionally gained equity about the same as our income over the last 12 months, and that's being conservative.  Its completely stupid and unfair to people caught on the wrong side of this.  We'll pay a bit of CGT, but will get some SDLT back.
We need a government that does not load the dice in favour of homeowners, landlords and landowners.  Despite our good fortune I'd vote for them because lower prices are better for my wider family and society as a whole, but I cannot imagine how to write their manifesto to appeal to the average voter.

HOLA446
18 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Just when you thought the madness can't go on....

They'll revise the numbers in a few months and theyll be flat.

This is gormless 1980-s EA number fkwittery.

All that happens is sellers will; bump up their prices more and transaction will fall even more.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

It's easy to say 'think of other things' but housing, and the ownership thereof, is such a fundamental aspect of quality of life. It is getting so difficult for certain demographics that it's unbelievable that so many are so accepting. I firmly believe a nice little interest rate hike would sharpen a few minds but since c.2011 that's looking less and less likely by the day.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
10 minutes ago, msi said:

...and what is BJ and the Tories going to do...same as they have for the last 10 years

yesterday....

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/86-billion-for-affordable-homes-to-give-boost-onto-housing-ladder

Thousands of people will be helped onto the housing ladder as funding is allocated across England today (31 August 2021).

HOLA4413

Here you go folks....it's a monumental day, houses are now more unafforadable than when the banking system collapsed

Given what happened in 2008 this is idiot in the extreme or criminal to another level.

Just how unaffordable can the tories make the price of shelter ?

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4414

Haha the pundits are surprised. They don't know what is going on. 

Remember what they say when there's a dip: Look to the 3 month indicator, it's more reliable. Oh, I can't see one.

It's a clear message: houses are an even less sensible thing to buy now.

Get your rental situation sorted, and put your cash elsewhere. It's insane and because of that there is no reasoning. Just accept that houses are too expensive to buy. Those who are buying at such prices, I hope they're in it for the long term, as owner-occupiers.

HOLA4415

But it's only the monthly repayments that matter!?!???

Many young adults these days are being conditioned to accept massive debts that they may never repay thanks to tuition fees. This must influence their attitude towards housing debt (another form of 'good' debt as some circles like to refer to it as)

HOLA4416
11 minutes ago, btd1981 said:

Many young adults these days are being conditioned to accept massive debts that they may never repay thanks to tuition fees. This must influence their attitude towards housing debt (another form of 'good' debt as some circles like to refer to it as)

Interest rates up to 16% helped me to pay off my mortgage.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
18 minutes ago, btd1981 said:

I've not heard that "good debt" phrase since 2007.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
23 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I've not heard that "good debt" phrase since 2007.

It's like "heart healthy polyunsaturated fats", which turn out to be the root cause of diabetes, heart disease, obesity, eye disease, and probably cancer and alzheimers

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
1 hour ago, hotblack42 said:

Just because of the way things have worked out - buying bungalow to renovate with 1.49% mortgage before selling existing home - wife and I have notionally gained equity about the same as our income over the last 12 months, and that's being conservative.  Its completely stupid and unfair to people caught on the wrong side of this.  We'll pay a bit of CGT, but will get some SDLT back.
We need a government that does not load the dice in favour of homeowners, landlords and landowners.  Despite our good fortune I'd vote for them because lower prices are better for my wider family and society as a whole, but I cannot imagine how to write their manifesto to appeal to the average voter.

The Tory Populist Party have always been the party of landlords and land owners. More fool anyone who repeatedly votes for them. AKA you get the government that you deserve. The newfound Tory faithful that used to be staunch Labour will be loving their new ‘wealth’. 

HOLA4424
11 minutes ago, Locke said:

It's like "heart healthy polyunsaturated fats", which turn out to be the root cause of diabetes, heart disease, obesity, eye disease, and probably cancer and alzheimers

I've always ignored health scares so continued eating butter, red meat and animal fat throughout. 

If I like it, I eat it and if I don't, I don't, simple as that.

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, Smiley George said:

Beyond a sick joke now.

It’s very disheartening for those sitting on the wrong side of this and I have sympathy for them but you cannot let this get you down. Sadly you just have to make what best of it that you can.