House Price Crash Forum

Global warming leading to California being on fire

HOLA441

This is so sad great ski area and town (godfather 2 wedding filmed here) all about to go up in flames unless they can save it a sign of the times.  If it goes up in flames will be headline news tommorrow as a much loved place for San Francisco pop along with Yosemite.  The scary things is this is just the start of fire season alongside hurricane season which luckily the weekend hurricane did not breach the New Orleans levees but lots of damage as first big one of the season, the scary thing was it accelerated from a cat 1 to a cat 4 between crossing cuba and hitting louisiana due to the warm waters of the gulf stream.

image.thumb.png.b93990089bc6b98e22a71c803c561216.pngI

Edited by coypondboy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
3 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Very sad. Very weird that some of the people fleeing will refuse to believe in climate change. 

Perhaps they understand there have always been and will always be wild fires, regardless of how often I drive my diesel Range Rover or eat roast beef. 

HOLA444
2 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Perhaps they understand there have always been and will always be wild fires, regardless of how often I drive my diesel Range Rover or eat roast beef. 

LMAOoo what cowwer is your very speshal Wange Wover? Is it black? Do you have a big yellow wheel lock or a big red wheel lock to stop it getting nicked? :D 

And of all the meats you went with roast beef *wipes tears of joy* 

HOLA445
14 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Very sad. Very weird that some of the people fleeing will refuse to believe in climate change. 

Almost all these wildfires are started by people, by accident or deliberately.

Decades ago accessing these wild areas was a lot more difficult for the general population.  Now they are out in their SUVs having barbeques every weekend.  So inevitably fires get started.

Another factor is poor management with respect to fire risk, e.g fire breaks in forests are much less common. 

Despite all this the number of US wildfires is historically low.  It's just that we get to hear about them now because people live there.

HOLA446

I've said this before on another thread:

In 1974, fully 15% of the land area of Australia was burnt.  This way exceeds any of the recent fires by several-fold.

But no-one knew or cared at the time.  They only found out how large the burnt area was after the event, from satellite images.

HOLA447
10 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

LMAOoo what cowwer is your very speshal Wange Wover? Is it black? Do you have a big yellow wheel lock or a big red wheel lock to stop it getting nicked? :D 

And of all the meats you went with roast beef *wipes tears of joy* 

You really are a c0ck aren't you.

What time is the bus coming to take you back to the centre?

Edited by Glenn

HOLA448

10 minutes ago, kzb said:

Despite all this the number of US wildfires is historically low.  It's just that we get to hear about them now because people live there.

We get to hear about then now because it suits the agenda now and fits in with click baity headlines like "Global warming leading to California being on fire"

HOLA449
11 minutes ago, Glenn said:

You really are a c0ck aren't you.

What time is the bus coming to take you back to the centre?

The centre cannot hold me.

:D I haven't had a n00b try to insult me in a while lollll. Bless your extremely branded instagrammable polyester foot coverings.

PS It's got a 3D vanity plate hasn't it

HOLA4410
28 minutes ago, kzb said:

I've said this before on another thread:

In 1974, fully 15% of the land area of Australia was burnt.  This way exceeds any of the recent fires by several-fold.

But no-one knew or cared at the time.  They only found out how large the burnt area was after the event, from satellite images.

So? I still don’t care about a fire in 1974, why do you?

HOLA4411
4 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

The centre cannot hold me.

:D I haven't had a n00b try to insult me in a while lollll. Bless your extremely branded instagrammable polyester foot coverings.

PS It's got a 3D vanity plate hasn't it

I think we both know I can't really afford a ranger rover

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
50 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

So? I still don’t care about a fire in 1974, why do you?

Because in 1974 we had Global Cooling.  We were heading for the next ice age according to the TV at the time.  Yet we still had an immense bushfire.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
2 hours ago, coypondboy said:

This is so sad great ski area and town (godfather 2 wedding filmed here) all about to go up in flames unless they can save it a sign of the times.  If it goes up in flames will be headline news tommorrow as a much loved place for San Francisco pop along with Yosemite.  The scary things is this is just the start of fire season alongside hurricane season which luckily the weekend hurricane did not breach the New Orleans levees but lots of damage as first big one of the season, the scary thing was it accelerated from a cat 1 to a cat 4 between crossing cuba and hitting louisiana due to the warm waters of the gulf stream.

image.thumb.png.b93990089bc6b98e22a71c803c561216.pngI

Global warming ?  Have you not been in Britain this year ?

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, kzb said:

Because in 1974 we had Global Cooling.  We were heading for the next ice age according to the TV at the time.  Yet we still had an immense bushfire.

Did we? :D Australia naturally has bushfires. Same as Siberia naturally has forest fires. 

We still may have a mini ice age but it won’t change the fact we gots too much dang CO2 floating’ about. 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Massive fires and burning of wood is in itself pushing a huge amount of co2 into the atmosphere......making global warming even worse, the fire and smoke must be the equivalent of driving many vehicles and flying many planes all over the world......the effects of climate change creating a greater climate change problem.;)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Did you see that that loony left (although I repeat myself) professor started setting fires to try and trap firefighters in the wildfire they were battling?

North American plantlife is evolved around devastating wildfires. Global warming has nothing to do with it.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
13 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Global warming ?  Have you not been in Britain this year ?

You can't really be this daft, can you?

We live next to the Atlantic. We don't enjoy the cold water currents of the Med.

Our summer being wet and muggy is pretty much exactly what our climate change is likely to be, sadly.

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, Locke said:

Did you see that that loony left (although I repeat myself) professor started setting fires to try and trap firefighters in the wildfire they were battling?

North American plantlife is evolved around devastating wildfires. Global warming has nothing to do with it.

That last bit is spot on. Wildfires are a part of nature and always have been.

The areas they're burning are however twice what they were until very recently in many places.

HOLA4424
Just now, byron78 said:

That last bit is spot on. Wildfires are a part of nature and always have been.

The areas they're burning are however twice what they were until very recently in many places.

Well people have been preventing wildfires and allowing combustible material to build up, so the recent rate is lower and the potential for fires has gone up. The current scenario is exactly what you would expect.

HOLA4425