House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrashedOutAndBurned

Dodgy Terror Laws, Biometric Id, Cctv

"Brown Youth"? Rubbish!!.

GB means the combined cadet force that a lot of schools used to have years ago. I was in the RAF section at mine in Dover. It was brilliant. Flying, shooting, orienteering,camping in the Brecon Beacons,visits to RAF bases, good food and ocasionally a bit of square bashing (thats drill to those who don't know the jargon). I'd recommend it to anybody 13-16 yrs. They had Army and Navy sections as well. Great fun.

GB means the combined cadet force that a lot of schools used to have years ago. I was in the RAF section at mine in Dover. It was brilliant. Flying, shooting, orienteering,camping in the Brecon Beacons,visits to RAF bases, good food and ocasionally a bit of square bashing (thats drill to those who don't know the jargon). I'd recommend it to anybody 13-16 yrs. They had Army and Navy sections as well. Great fun.

"Square bashing, orienteering, ..." you cannot be serious! The youth of today have an asthma attack if they have to put down their Playstation handsets / mobile phones and drag their sorry obese ar$es off the sofa to grab a can of saturated sugar solution from the fridge. Can you imagine the compo claims when poor little Johnny is forced to do a single sit up and scratches his delicate ego on the parade ground floor!

More seriously, I can't help feeling that pseudo-military organisations for children (e.g. scouts, cadets, sunday school - only joking) whilst having some benefits (e.g. forced exercise, team building and personal responsibility awareness) can also be hijacked for youth indoctrination. I'm pretty sure some institutionalised behaviour patterns (racism, homophobia, etc.) were reinforced in these (and National Service) in decades gone by. I'm too young to have experienced it myself, but depictions on TV seem to convey that feeling. Any real-life experiences anyone?

Cheers

LL

Buying into the having a mortgage and kids has got to be one of the biggest cons going

It simply keeps you busy until you die and all the time your just bringing up the next generation of taxpayers for the govenment - thats how THEY view it

Recently the Govenment hasn't even been subtle about it ie giving kids more rights than adults

Even better: Brownshirts

With the sister movement of chronically debt laden parents the 'brown trousers'.

Hired killers, a traditional uk growth industry. Training corporate psychopaths to economically kill competitiors comes a close second :angry:

I was in my local army cadet troop. Nothing to do with school, which was part of the appeal. Can still remember how to shoot and strip down a Lee Enfield .303 rifle. Skills which I've yet to find any application for in adult life. Probably just as well...

Air Cadets for me. City of Wells 1955 Squadron.

A bit of usually very lax drill, model making, shooting (we had .22's not 303's which were real shoulder bruisers) and once a year a great camp at an RAF station. I learned how to be really, REALLY sick on a Hercules at Lyneham and spent all day testing survival suits (in freezing cold water) at RAF Valley in Anglesey to earn enough points for a ride in a Seaking helicopter - only to be thrown off within 30 seconds of boarding when an emergency call came in :angry:

No indoctrination of any sort ever, just fun and a sense of belonging I guess. No one in the group of perhaps 30 teenagers I knew joined the services either.