House Price Crash Forum

Property Asking Prices Fall 0.3%

Latest data from rightmove:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-9893165/House-prices-UK-Asking-prices-fall-time-year-says-Rightmove.html

I thought I'd be novel an actually post on house prices.

Anecdotally, my neighbour was speaking with an agent and viewings etc have fallen off a cliff now that the stamp duty holiday has finished. So this may be vendors trying to drum up interest.

0.3% is a rounding error - clickbait cr*p from the Daily Fail

What they don't want you to see is asking prices 25% above what it's sold for

Average asking price £337,000 V Average sold price (£261,000 Halifax, £244,000 Nationwide)

2 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Latest data from rightmove:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-9893165/House-prices-UK-Asking-prices-fall-time-year-says-Rightmove.html

I thought I'd be novel an actually post on house prices.

Anecdotally, my neighbour was speaking with an agent and viewings etc have fallen off a cliff now that the stamp duty holiday has finished. So this may be vendors trying to drum up interest.

Hooray....up 15%....down 0.3%....lets all celebrate

37 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

We can't let this happen, 0.3% drop from  a 15% annual increase will be catastrophe! Boris and Rishi have got to roll out the latest props to continue to support inequality by intentionally proping up their donors and chums, while making out they're helping the general public.

3 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

But 0.3% on the way down is worth more than 0.3% on the way up (but not much...)

20 minutes ago, “Nasty Piece of work” said:

Unfortunately, a very long way to go.  Heartened (in a way) by Kabul, by how quickly the accepted  norm. can go to sh1t.

Sums up the oft witnessed moral vacuum on this site quite nicely really in that you are ‘heartened’ by a barbaric regime going door to door and plastering people’s brains on the wall. It genuinely wouldn’t surprise me at all if other posters were keeping everything crossed for world war three so as house prices would fall and finally teach all these trolls a lesson. 

1 hour ago, Twenty Something said:

Sums up the oft witnessed moral vacuum on this site quite nicely really in that you are ‘heartened’ by a barbaric regime going door to door and plastering people’s brains on the wall. It genuinely wouldn’t surprise me at all if other posters were keeping everything crossed for world war three so as house prices would fall and finally teach all these trolls a lesson. 

The moral issue here was the invasion itself - how many people have died in the conflict in Afghanistan/Pakistan? 250,000 - but hey, that's not barbaric... they were killed for their own good I suppose? 

Banks refusing to lend as buyers overpay for homes (telegraph.co.uk)  Try PressReader.com to avoid the paywall.

Girlfriend's dad (he's an independent FA) confirms what I've read, saying how mortgage rates are getting lower as banks fight between themselves for 'genuine' mortgage business.  He says the market is full of timewasters and desperate couples offering to pay stupid prices, wondering why their 5 and 10% mortgage applications get turned down, cursing the surveyor for suggesting it ain't worth what they've offered.

He says estate agents are fighting like cat and dog, inflating the asking price and enticing the seller to choose them over another EA.  Most of the inventory is crap according to EA friend in our local town. 

Dad in-law says he turns people away everyday that don't have at least 15% deposit cos it's a waste of time otherwise. He also echoes what I've read about banks being encouraged to lend up to 9x on income. Not sure if any are doing that, but he says not a chance he's advising anyone to try that.

And he's got numerous clients that can't afford basic repair work on their new house because the work quoted for has now gone up in cost. A flat roof re-roof and 4 new windows to make one client's house weather tight is 11k, up from 5k in 4 months and builders can't do the work until November. They've asked him to arrange a house loan for the repairs. It's not rosy or affordable buying a house in the UK from what I'm hearing!

2 hours ago, “Nasty Piece of work” said:

Is your selective ability to interrupt what you like, an inability,  or skill?  The parenthesis is there for all to see (apart from those who want to  pretend).

Not sure what you mean by an inability? Is my ability to do something an inability? You're already making no sense even before I start to try and dissect the rest of it. Don't really get what you think your brackets do to the statement that you made either, but I strongly suspect trying to get to the bottom of that will be like trying to convince a flat-earther that the world is round. You've taken a thread wanting to discuss a 0.3% drop in house prices in the UK and decided to relate that somehow to Afghanistan, and how it cheers you up that regimes can change very quickly? Although that wasn't really what you were saying of course because...brackets. And I think the crux of your opening gambit is that it is I who is hanging around seeking to interrupt threads?

Seeing as what you posted in your view was such a logical progression of the thread, maybe you can unpack for me the similarities between Afghanistan and the UK in terms of making a point that regimes can be so quickly changed? Are 100,000 heavily armed and well co-ordinated militants going to come out of the wood work and occupy Westminster sometime in the next week? If not, what is going to make the accepted norm suddenly go to sh1t as you put it? If you are going to go down a financial road, we've been there with the large scale economic collapse of 2008, and what really changed? You got 13 years older, but unfortunately not 13 years wiser it would appear. 

2 hours ago, gruffydd said:

The moral issue here was the invasion itself - how many people have died in the conflict in Afghanistan/Pakistan? 250,000 - but hey, that's not barbaric... they were killed for their own good I suppose? 

Not really sure if you are trying to have a snipe or agreeing? I've not made any statement about the war itself, rather I have commented on the morals (and sanity) of someone being heartened by the fact a regime can be over-thrown in a week by something that let's face it is never going to happen in the UK. I agree with you (I think), and I'm going to use brackets there in homage to "Nasty Piece of Work" so as I can change my post in the future to mean whatever the heck I want depending on what point I'm trying to make...

10 hours ago, msi said:

0.3% is a rounding error - clickbait cr*p from the Daily Fail

What they don't want you to see is asking prices 25% above what it's sold for

Average asking price £337,000 V Average sold price (£261,000 Halifax, £244,000 Nationwide)

Are those real figures for asking prices vs sold prices ?

1 hour ago, “Nasty Piece of work” said:

You make things up.  I really think you believe what you say, a shame it is fiction.

I said:

• 0.3% is nothing.
  • Kabul is an example of the Establishment facing a surprise - I didn’t suggest it was a good thing.

So we’re still waiting for you to explain the phrase, and I quote so as not to be accused of making things up, “is your selective ability to interrupt what you like, an inability, or skill?” How can an ability be an inability? What am I missing? 

Then we get onto “heartened (in a way) by Kabul, by how quickly the accepted norm. can go to sh1t.” 

Let’s face it, there’s only one way anyone with a grasp of the English language is going to interpret that, and it’s not in the fluffy oh what a surprise way that you seem intent on back pedalling to. You’ve quite demonstrably not said what you have bullet pointed above, but of course you won’t back down so it’ll be up to others to draw their own conclusions. You certainly live up to your username I’ll give you that - maybe you can find some reruns of the fall of Saigon to hearten you further? That really went downhill fast. Not sure what impact it had on house prices though, but then it’s clear in your mind at least how a murderous organisation running rampant in another country is relevant to a discussion on a 0.3% drop in property here! 

9 hours ago, “Nasty Piece of work” said:

Unfortunately, a very long way to go.  Heartened (in a way) by Kabul, by how quickly the accepted  norm. can go to sh1t.

24 minutes ago, Twenty Something said:

Let’s face it, there’s only one way anyone with a grasp of the English language is going to interpret that

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself. I think you have a fair grasp of the English language. You have just decided in this instance not to interpret "Nasty Piece of work" charitably. 

16 hours ago, petetong said:

Are those real figures for asking prices vs sold prices ?

As much as I want to pull *** from my ****, from the troll squad playbook..

Asking prices are from the DF article

Sold prices are from this website