House Price Crash Forum

Uk plc sell off - Channel4 to become The Discovery Channel? Britain to lose an ARM?

1 hour ago, Locke said:

Are you saying that techy types will move their whole lives to India?

Or that the UK businesses will outsource their labour to India?

The latter.

The jobs will go, the IP and knowledge around it will eventually migrate overseas.

Happens every time.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Locke said:

Your avatar is very appropriate to your posting style

Are you talking about the police, the RAF, the Royal Navy or the Army?

Honestly, all the things you claim would be bad about "my world" (which, by the way, I don't recall having made such a proposition) seem to be happening in "your world" already.

The Ayn Rand cult has been followed slavishly by most of the central bankers. Like Alan Greenspan. The Republican party is writhing with Rand ideologues. The Tories too

Also, like she did, the Ayn Rand Institute recently took an enormous handout from the government.

Don't worry we're queuing up at the gates for Locke's World - as your lot has control - 'the anti-state free marketeers'.

Money and greed has won.

Here is another sell off by Uk plc

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/08/02/giving-another-slice-defence-industry-act-serious-self-harm/

Brexit is turning into the Debenham's closing down sale. Soon they'll just be pairs of 44 inch waist 26L trousers that fit no one.

9 hours ago, msi said:

Care to elaborate in how channel 4 doesn't succeed?  It makes a healthy profit and isn't in the pocket of the Right Wing clique

When was the last time a news program on Channel 4 broke a big story?

54 minutes ago, Will! said:

Maybe China being a brutal dictatorship was news to them?

Blatant accusations is easy.  Journalistic details and evidence a tad harder.

Mind you, with 'alternative facts', who needs research, eh?

20 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

The latter.

The jobs will go, the IP and knowledge around it will eventually migrate overseas.

Happens every time.

Well if the value in the UK companies is the quality of the employees, then by outsourcing overseas, aren't the investors being sold a dud? What's stopping the talent from forming a new company?

41 minutes ago, Locke said:

Well if the value in the UK companies is the quality of the employees, then by outsourcing overseas, aren't the investors being sold a dud? What's stopping the talent from forming a new company?

Huge amounts of cash need for the semiconductor industry. Not cheap to set up and they can't keep the IP.

18 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Huge amounts of cash need for the semiconductor industry. Not cheap to set up and they can't keep the IP.

Well .... youve picked the wrong example.

ARM is fabless.

Other than some very old, small fabs I dont think the UK has much in the way of silicon fab industry.

The Welsh company for sale/buy out just makes wafers.

4 hours ago, spyguy said:

ARM is fabless.

Other than some very old, small fabs I dont think the UK has much in the way of silicon fab industry.

Don't Samsung and TSMC do 70% of the gruntwork for global chip production in the past 10 to 15 years, with AMD, etc, relying on them for most of their manufacturing output? ARM seems more like a glorified brand and design firm.

Edited by Big Orange

5 hours ago, spyguy said:

ARM is fabless.

The Welsh company for sale/buy out just makes wafers.

I know ARM is fabless, pretty much the whole world builds at TSMC.

But you still need loads of equipment to design semiconductors. Massive computers, ludicrously expensive software, you need to work with the process firms like ASML. I am sure doing test lithography costs millions.

Sending a chip design off isn't like sending your old 35mm to Bonusprint.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Big Orange said:

Don't Samsung and TSMC do 70% of the gruntwork for global chip production in the past 10 to 15 years, with AMD, etc, relying on them for most of their manufacturing output? ARM seems more like a glorified brand and design firm.

Yes, i am just saw your post. That is correct. But as In my post above, it is still damn expensive. Point being you can't afford to get it wrong when you send the final designs over to be manufactured. 

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

4 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Judging by the quality of the posters, I think the Government IS this forum (present company excluded, of course)

• 2 weeks later...

Just the middle and back end of a piece on C4 news where they were covering the atrocities in Afghanistan. An old lady had lost her son(s) to the Taliban and her (or her neighbour's) daughter(s) had then been "married" to them. I guess the best you could hope for is that they were adults, age is of no concern to these pieces of ****.

Then....Krishnan Guru-Murthy to an Afghan democratic activist. "So, do you blame the British and Americans for this?"

John Snow, a few minutes later, to someone who looked like an Afghan commander. "Do you blame the Americans for the bad training of Afghani forces?"

Both guests praised the efforts of the allies because obviously it's the fecking terrorists and incompetent government there that are at fault. Obviously you got to try and blame the US and UK at any and every opportunity as there's that lovely Guardian gig for both newsreaders to think of when this stinking turd sinks.

In my rage, I have possibly misremembered some precise details but the general gist is true. The sooner Channel 4, the cancerous tumor on the **** of humanity is surgically removed and disposed of as any toxic boihazard material should be, the safer we will all be.

Edited by Huggy

23 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Just the middle and back end of a piece on C4 news where they were covering the atrocities in Afghanistan. An old lady had lost her son(s) to the Taliban and her (or her neighbour's) daughter(s) had then been "married" to them. I guess the best you could hope for is that they were adults, age is of no concern to these pieces of ****.

Then....Krishnan Guru-Murthy to an Afghan democratic activist. "So, do you blame the British and Americans for this?"

John Snow, a few minutes later, to someone who looked like an Afghan commander. "Do you blame the Americans for the bad training of Afghani forces?"

Both guests praised the efforts of the allies because obviously it's the fecking terrorists and incompetent government there that are at fault. Obviously you got to try and blame the US and UK at any and every opportunity as there's that lovely Guardian gig for both newsreaders to think of when this stinking turd sinks.

In my rage, I have possibly misremembered some precise details but the general gist is true. The sooner Channel 4, the cancerous tumor on the **** of humanity is surgically removed and disposed of as any toxic boihazard material should be, the safer we will all be.

There was an excellent documentary by the BBC, Afghanistan: The Lion's Last Roar? ,in 2014 and a second edition of Frank Ledwidge's also excellent book, Losing Small Wars, in 2017, both of which describe in detail how the UK messed up in Afghanistan so it's not as though Channel 4 couldn't have researched this if they'd wanted to. 

Rage clicks. Love, Hate, Fear - the 3 strongest emotions and most likely to cause someone to post on social media (thus spreading and embedding the platform). Hence why social media (and now MSM) is geared towards perpetuating those triggers.

Thus we gravitate towards more extreme interests. 

On 03/08/2021 at 18:36, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I know ARM is fabless, pretty much the whole world builds at TSMC.

But you still need loads of equipment to design semiconductors. Massive computers, ludicrously expensive software, you need to work with the process firms like ASML. I am sure doing test lithography costs millions.

Sending a chip design off isn't like sending your old 35mm to Bonusprint.

ARM was originally developed by a small team in-house at Acorn, who were a company who didn't make that much of their hardware.

Of course chips have moved on a lot since then so what was a possible way of a relatively small company (reasonably large in the UK thanks to schools being filled with BBC Bs, but small on the global scale) coming up with its own useful (pretty powerful by the standards of the time, 32 bit processor running by the late 80s) CPU then isn't going to be possible now.

Within any field as the technology and hence complexity advances the barriers to entry increase. Although the products of that advancement might give new ways into areas with previously high barriers.

5 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Rage clicks. Love, Hate, Fear - the 3 strongest emotions and most likely to cause someone to post on social media (thus spreading and embedding the platform). Hence why social media (and now MSM) is geared towards perpetuating those triggers.

Thus we gravitate towards more extreme interests. 

Thus social media will drop in value to the same level as scribbling on toilet doors

7 minutes ago, msi said:

Thus social media will drop in value to the same level as scribbling on toilet doors

Except that you read a toilet door once and forget it, whereas with the right algorithmic conditions social media will feed someone an idea or image multiple times a day. 

It’s quite literally brainwashing. 

46 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Except that you read a toilet door once and forget it, whereas with the right algorithmic conditions social media will feed someone an idea or image multiple times a day. 

It’s quite literally brainwashing. 

People are switching off. Facebook is a dead platform with no one generating real content, hence the move to emotional vitriol.  No one under 30 uses it and it would go the way of myspace if they hadn't bought up whatsapp and instagram.

Whatsapp has no community function so you need organic travel.  Instagram is on the cusp of drying up.

1 hour ago, msi said:

People are switching off. Facebook is a dead platform with no one generating real content, hence the move to emotional vitriol.  No one under 30 uses it and it would go the way of myspace if they hadn't bought up whatsapp and instagram.

Whatsapp has no community function so you need organic travel.  Instagram is on the cusp of drying up.

Myspace was so benign in comparison. Millions (billions?) of people still use these apps though.

On 13/08/2021 at 20:43, PeanutButter said:

Millions (billions?) of people still use these apps though.

They do but for what?

The rise of the 'influencer' is being called out for the cr*p it is.  Look at the vitriol posted towards Love Island candidates by the same 'Be Kind' mob.

You have chats with friends, but with E2E encryption it's hard to monitise from that

Which leaves young kids and dirty old men - pretty much what myspace ended up as