House Price Crash Forum

Uk plc sell off - Channel4 to become The Discovery Channel? Britain to lose an ARM?

Olympics broadcaster lines up bid for Channel 4

American broadcaster Discovery is holding informal discussions about a potential takeover of Channel 4

ByBen Woods31 July 2021 • 7:00pm

Discovery, the American broadcaster leading coverage of the Olympics, is exploring a bid for Channel 4 that would challenge the BBC and ITV’s dominance of British screens.

Media sources said Discovery, which already owns a string of pay-TV channels in the UK, is holding informal discussions about a potential takeover of Channel 4 if ministers press ahead with a privatisation in autumn. The explorations may not lead to an offer, but are a sign of serious interest.

Discovery’s manoeuvres are viewed by television insiders as a particular threat to ITV. The combination of Channel 4 and its own share of the advertising market via channels including Eurosport and Really, would allow it to challenge for more favourable advertising deals.

Discovery would gain an outlet to better exploit costly rights such as the Olympics without the need for a partnership with the BBC.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/07/31/olympics-broadcaster-lines-bid-channel-4/

Reminds me of this:

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Another bit of the UK being sold off is ARM the Cambridge based semiconductor firm.

Whilst ARM is owned by Softbank, that is a bit arms length and so ARM has stayed fairly autonomous.

The danger with the proposal to sell to NVIDIA is that the skill base in the UK will get eroded. I don't think this take over would have happened prior to Brexit, but the Brexit changes are revealing our competition authorities and the UK Government to be a soft touch (or is that a Bad Touch as per The Bloodhound Gang).

That said, the deal could still be stopped by China (they use a lot of ARM under license) as do parts of the EU. Also now NVIDIA is bigger than Intel, the US will see things differently.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

• Mikhail Liebenstein changed the title to Uk plc sell off - Channel4 to become The Discovery Channel? Britain to lose an ARM?

Is this the end of Hollyoaks and Countdown - its not as if anyone watches the channel much anyway? But it could well mean the end of the Olympics on the BBC from the 2026 Winter Games onwards asssuming Discovery extends its current deal with the IOC. Channel 4 already has the rights to the Paralympics

In the end there is a long way to go before any of this happens!

Channel 4 is a bit of an embarrassment nowadays as all it seems to cater for is a specific vocal fringe of the population. Although, saying that, I am struggling to get a copy of their Alternative Election Night 2019 which I am still gagging to watch over 18 months after it aired. It doesn't seem to be available on All 4 for some reason.

Maybe all of that pandering to the very minority fringe has made it less profitable. Fewer of these channels the better methinks.

Edited by Huggy

Channel 4, like the NHS, shows how an alternative political view can be successful in servicing the country.  It's even profitable, reinvesting money into UK talent and programme making skills.

7 minutes ago, msi said:

Channel 4, like the NHS, shows how an alternative political view can be successful in servicing the country.  It's even profitable, reinvesting money into UK talent and programme making skills.

There is no good reason why the state should be involved in broadcasting ! 

Privatise it along with the BBC , it's about time . 

Sell, sell, sell! 

BTW, i like Channel 4 news and that's about it. I hope if they get sold they keep the news programme going. I think they do some good reporting although I believe it is ITN.

Edited by Warlord

1 hour ago, Huggy said:

Channel 4 is a bit of an embarrassment nowadays as all it seems to cater for is a specific vocal fringe of the population. Although, saying that, I am struggling to get a copy of their Alternative Election Night 2019 which I am still gagging to watch over 18 months after it aired. It doesn't seem to be available on All 4 for some reason.

Maybe all of that pandering to the very minority fringe has made it less profitable. Fewer of these channels the better methinks.

Pretty sure Channel 4 actually posted record profits last year.

I don't think channel 4 (unlike ARM) is doing anything particular special.

I would stripe broadcast funding to one TV station and one radio station, and they would only be maintained in case of war or national emergency.

54 minutes ago, reddog said:

I don't think channel 4 (unlike ARM) is doing anything particular special.

I would stripe broadcast funding to one TV station and one radio station, and they would only be maintained in case of war or national emergency.

Let me guess, GB news?

12 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Sometimes I think McDonald’s would run our govt better. At least Ronald isn’t quite such an embarrassing clown. 

Ronald is a clown with a conflicted soul in this modern dystopia.

11 hours ago, msi said:

It might be like the NHS in that it doesn’t succeed.  Even stuff that should be interesting, like Unreported World or Dispaches, is pretty thin.

2 hours ago, Will! said:

It might be like the NHS in that it doesn’t succeed.  Even stuff that should be interesting, like Unreported World or Dispaches, is pretty thin.

Care to elaborate in how channel 4 doesn't succeed?  It makes a healthy profit and isn't in the pocket of the Right Wing clique

13 minutes ago, Locke said:

What do you mean by this?

Maybe this?

https://www.stem.org.uk/news-and-views/news/skills-shortage-costing-stem-sector-15bn

Estate agent- tick!
Landlord - tick!
Poodle bather - tick!
Speculator - tick!
County lines coordinator - tick!
Amazon worker - tick!
Deliveroo slave  - tick!

A country with exports that people want - nope. A country that recognises science, engineering and technology is an absolutely golden asset - nope!

You give me a quid and I give it back is our economy.

Except of course the gang leaders - such as our puppet politicians and their rentier billionaire string pullers - where we give them 100 quid and they pocket it. In your world, they would still be there running things - but behind a force of bullet proof psycho mercenaries to enforce order. Of course the head psycho commando can take power any time he wants to - and kill anyone he fancies as there is only his law. Why does he need a proxy figurehead?

No justice, only power. Which is what we have now with some effective lip-service holding things together. But it won't be long now until everything we've achieved in our tiny history is undone. Because the wrong people are running things for exactly the wrong reasons and there's feck all we can do about it.

HSBC: £8bn profit - tick!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58051818

Profits at banking giant HSBC more than doubled in the first half of the year as it benefited from an economic rebound in Britain and Hong Kong.

Europe's biggest bank by assets saw pre-tax profit for the period rise to $10.8bn (£7.8bn), compared to $4.3bn for the same time last year.

The UK-based bank said all regions had been profitable in the period.

The figures come as the global economy emerges from the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

"I'm pleased with the momentum generated around our growth and transformation plans, with good delivery against all four pillars of our strategy. In particular, we have taken firm steps to define the future of our US and continental Europe businesses", said HSBC chief executive Noel Quinn.

The lender highlighted that its UK bank had reported profit before tax of more than $2.1bn in the period.

17 hours ago, Warlord said:

There is no good reason why the state should be involved in broadcasting ! 

Privatise it along with the BBC , it's about time . 

Sell, sell, sell! 

BTW, i like Channel 4 news and that's about it. I hope if they get sold they keep the news programme going. I think they do some good reporting although I believe it is ITN.

But good reason why the state should NOT be involved in broadcasting.

This thread has just made me realise that I hardly watch C4 and that I used to and quite a bit more than the others.

The only thing I look out for now is the aluminium man in between shows and they've even cut off showing him before he kicks the ball through the house window or leans against the lamp post and disintegrates.

As you say, sell now, sell everything. 

30 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

Maybe this?

https://www.stem.org.uk/news-and-views/news/skills-shortage-costing-stem-sector-15bn

Estate agent- tick!
Landlord - tick!
Poodle bather - tick!
Speculator - tick!
County lines coordinator - tick!
Amazon worker - tick!
Deliveroo slave  - tick!

A country with exports that people want - nope. A country that recognises science, engineering and technology is an absolutely golden asset - nope!

You give me a quid and I give it back is our economy.

Except of course the gang leaders - such as our puppet politicians and their rentier billionaire string pullers - where we give them 100 quid and they pocket it. In your world, they would still be there running things - but behind a force of bullet proof psycho mercenaries to enforce order. Of course the head psycho commando can take power any time he wants to - and kill anyone he fancies as there is only his law. Why does he need a proxy figurehead?

No justice, only power. Which is what we have now with some effective lip-service holding things together. But it won't be long now until everything we've achieved in our tiny history is undone. Because the wrong people are running things for exactly the wrong reasons and there's feck all we can do about it.

Your avatar is very appropriate to your posting style

Are you talking about the police, the RAF, the Royal Navy or the Army?

Honestly, all the things you claim would be bad about "my world" (which, by the way, I don't recall having made such a proposition) seem to be happening in "your world" already.

1 hour ago, Locke said:

What do you mean by this?

Well with any tech company take over there is a danger the knowledge gets migrated elsewhere. New office India, oh we are moving design there etc etc.

6 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Well with any tech company take over there is a danger the knowledge gets migrated elsewhere. New office India, oh we are moving design there etc etc.

Are you saying that techy types will move their whole lives to India?

Or that the UK businesses will outsource their labour to India?