Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Estate Agents Begin Charging Money just to View Homes ?


Recommended Posts

I am nosy and sometimes pretend I am a prospective buyer to go around the homes of people, so I can get ideas for decor or what might work in my house, I take pictures for diy projects, It is better than going to museums and if the punters think you are genuine they throw in tea and croissants, I always wear a blue blazer pink shirt, people always judge on the jacket, with a disposable email and burner phone it’s a good hobby 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought agents loved time wasters. They bulk up the open day, usually act over-keen and ask lots of questions. All the while their presence gives a false sense of demand and urgency to the other, real buyers would don't see through it. 

I remember a few years back I viewed a complete renovation project - not touched in 50 years - and a very elderly couple were also looking around and struggling to get up the stairs. Clearly they are not going to take on a complete renovation when they can barely walk - but it was an interesting Saturday afternoon out for them.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LesDawson said:

The EA business model, of 2% on sale does not work in the current market of v low numbers of transactions.

They'd do better blowing off tramps in the park for loose change.

Edited by spyguy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Terrible idea really - it seems like a new business managed to get itself an advertorial.

What happens if a viewer immediately doesn't like the house (it happens), do they get a refund?

What happens if a viewer really likes the house but also wants to spend hours in there, and feel they are justified to because they have paid? What about second viewings?

There are several mirages in the market, which attract the gullible, ie

- saving stamp duty, only to pay more for the house

- being glad at small HPI when inflation is high

There will be people celebrating 'earning' £600 for their 20 viewings, oblivious to that they probably achieved a much lower price in the end because a big tranche of people were put off viewing.

If it really was solely about preventing timewasters you'd just make it a deposit refundable on turning up.

Edited by simon2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I imagine the business makes money by selling the registered customers’ data, rather than from the booking fee. 

I’d it doesn’t flop immediately I could see a buyout by rightmove or moneysupermarket once they’ve built up a database. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great idea!  Lets make it work the other way too.

To EA:  Oh your 'sold' property has gone back onto the market after being SSTC for 3 months?  Well what's it worth to me to give a viewing again....lets take a grand off asking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, sammersmith said:

I thought agents loved time wasters. They bulk up the open day, usually act over-keen and ask lots of questions. All the while their presence gives a false sense of demand and urgency to the other, real buyers would don't see through it. 

I remember a few years back I viewed a complete renovation project - not touched in 50 years - and a very elderly couple were also looking around and struggling to get up the stairs. Clearly they are not going to take on a complete renovation when they can barely walk - but it was an interesting Saturday afternoon out for them.  

Did you bother to read the article? It's about timewasters not showing up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, LesDawson said:

I would love to see this during Nov, Dec and January where we sit in a softer market and viewings low.  Er, sorry Mrs Jones but after 12 weeks not one viewing occurred. 

The idea is so bullish based on a temporary spike of demand v availability it is naive beyond belief. It’s like they have only seen this market and never experienced a slow market where they have to ring customers and encourage them to go round  

Maybe in a slow cold January they will pay £30 for people to view.

Ps cancellations and no shows are annoying in any business. One agent near us confirms via txt on the day that you are turning up…you must reply or thy then ring you. No contact then the appointment is deemed unconfirmed and cancelled. Bit harsh but understandable at the moment. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, shlomo said:

I am nosy and sometimes pretend I am a prospective buyer to go around the homes of people, so I can get ideas for decor or what might work in my house, I take pictures for diy projects, It is better than going to museums and if the punters think you are genuine they throw in tea and croissants, I always wear a blue blazer pink shirt, people always judge on the jacket, with a disposable email and burner phone it’s a good hobby 

You have too much time on your hands - and need a better hobby!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, This time said:

One that doesn't massively inconvenience other people!

having said that the more viewers in a house the more pressure on others to buy, good window dressing for the seller...??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, “Nasty Piece of work” said:

If you actually read it, it is too bizarre to take remotely seriously.

The sad thing is how many (including certain posters here) do take it seriously

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, anonguest said:

You have too much time on your hands - and need a better hobby!

It is free and I can study human behaviour, I love the human interaction and the free coffee, tea, and wine

I have a secret camera which I film things on and play back the situation working out the alpha male, and study words to see the history and call to action behind them.

I went to a house in Walthamstow recently the owner was an English IT bod in his early 50s married to a 20 something Croatian girl, who pulled out her puppies to breast feed their baby, all for my benefit as they thought I would enjoy that and then spend £650k for their house

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Did you bother to read the article? It's about timewasters not showing up. 

Did you read further than the title and summary points? I'll help you by including the first section and bold the bit that i was referring to. 

Quote

Estate agents plan a £30 charge for those viewing a property to stop people booking a slot and not showing up as well as nosey neighbours. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, shlomo said:

It is free and I can study human behaviour, I love the human interaction and the free coffee, tea, and wine

I have a secret camera which I film things on and play back the situation working out the alpha male, and study words to see the history and call to action behind them.

I went to a house in Walthamstow recently the owner was an English IT bod in his early 50s married to a 20 something Croatian girl, who pulled out her puppies to breast feed their baby, all for my benefit as they thought I would enjoy that and then spend £650k for their house

Should have asked her if a blow job was included in the sale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, wighty said:

Should have asked her if a blow job was included in the sale.

I was certain if I flirted with her, her husband would have pretended to looked the other way if I purchased for £650k, everyone has their price, and she is in her 20s married to a man in her 50s, so it would not be the first time she has considered this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.