House Price Crash Forum
othello

Home Prices Feel Chill

The BBC says prices were up, Sky News reports them as down. Same report, same period. What is interesting is that the BBC has chosen the annual rate which rose as opposed to the monthly rate which fell. If this was a one-off report you'd put it down to editorial decision-making. The fact that it happens time and time again makes the BBC look biased to the point of absurdity.

Edited by othello

The BBC says prices were up, Sky News reports them as down. Same report, same period. What is interesting is that the BBC has chosen the annual rate which rose as opposed to the monthly rate which fell. If this was a one-off report you'd put it down to editorial decision-making. The fact that it happens time and time again makes the BBC look biased to the point of absurdity.

crisis:

1 [C or U] a situation that has reached an extremely difficult or dangerous point; a time of great disagreement, uncertainty or suffering

I would say we're in a crisis. :unsure:

And I wonder why that is?

Couldnt have anything to do with the way the Beeb are funded? SURELY NOT. :ph34r:

Couldnt have anything to do with the way the Beeb are funded? SURELY NOT. :ph34r:

i think the bbc are losing their objectivity,surely if they were objective they would highlight the growing concerns of people including economists etc who feel that house prices are wildly overvalued.

someone mail them with the conflicting reporting of that story.i looked at their website which has a section in /lifestyle which shows price movements by region and area and it clearly shows prices falling or stagnant in many places but their no news pieces on this.

i think the bbc are losing their objectivity,surely if they were objective they would highlight the growing concerns of people including economists etc who feel that house prices are wildly overvalued.

someone mail them with the conflicting reporting of that story.i looked at their website which has a section in /lifestyle which shows price movements by region and area and it clearly shows prices falling or stagnant in many places but their no news pieces on this.

British BULLsh*t Corporation.

I am fairly sure I am funding the BBC myself.

Yup, just checked... I am certainly funding them

I don't know what the motivation is but the BBC doesn't hold back on Government criticism when it suits it e.g war in Iraq and WMD. Maybe it wants to see Labour in power forever or perhaps the BBC news editor is saimply a BTL investor?

It aggravates me too but I'm inclined to ****-up rather than conspiracy. It's simply lazy, asinine BBC journalism. It's likehow on their website you never get a sentence more than 14 word long, or a paragraph of more than three sentences.

It should be privatised: it must drive the non-state-funded media mad.

And couldn't be as much to do with the red title bar on the news pages. How big a clue do we all need?

I have made a formal complaint to the BBC about their article as follows:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing about article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4708752.stm

entitled: "UK house price growth picking up"

I note the November price figure of £185,848 is ommitted from your article. It would show prices FELL November to December. This November price figure has already been revised DOWN from £186,431. So a fall in price from £186,431 to £185,788 is price growth picking up?

The jump from an annual inflation rate of 2.2% November to 2.9% December looks impressive on the surface, but rather less so whan you note the "revised" November figure was revised DOWN from 2.5% to 2.2%. In fact, the rise in annual inflation is explained not by recent price rises, but by a big price fall last year dropping out of the rolling 12 month statistic and being replaced by a small fall this year. To say inflation is accelerating on this basis is factually true but misleading as the housing market still fell in December, just not as badly as last year.

I also note you omitted to mention the October price was revised DOWN to £184,958 from £185,398: the latter figure had already been revised down from £186,103. What started as an October inflation rate of 2.2% has been successively revised down to 1.8% and now 1.6%. All these downward revisions hardly support the "price growth picking up" head-line, even before we consider the possibility December's figures may be revised the same way.

When you look at September's final figures of £186,723 and 3.2% and compare them with December's current figures of £185,788 and 2.9% - the best data we have - both prices and inflation fell over the last quarter of 2005. So how do ODPM's figures "contrast with figures last week from the Land Registry which indicated that UK house prices actually fell during the last three months of 2005"?

You may find the monthly ODPM articles at:

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1156181

Your article is selective, misleading, and factually wrong. If your article were a press release 'puff' from a property company with a clear vested interest I might understand it. As you are an independent, unbiased state broadcaster I do not. If you need a replacement researcher - I trust it was badly researched and not deliberate - my email address is...

In the meantime I would be interested in any comments you may have: I hope future articles on the state of the housing market are more representative and accurate.

Yours faithfully

[i wonder if they get the irony in the second-to-last paragraph]