House Price Crash Forum

U.K Buyer Demand Faltering...

HOLA441

Given we have see the same house price mania in several countries, I guess we'll see the same end to it.

Anyway, U.K. demand is falling.

it looks eratic at best.

Worth noting about the demand before CV19 took off...it was falling.  In the UK, prices were about to go -ve.

Coincidence....

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Let me reword that.

Load of over excited buyers, after spending a few months doing open houses and dreaming have gone to the bank and had a nasty surprise.

Woman down the road from me, after 20 years of rolling over debt, has just been turned down - too old, too little earnings.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Given we have see the same house price mania in several countries, I guess we'll see the same end to it.

Anyway, U.K. demand is falling.

it looks eratic at best.

Worth noting about the demand before CV19 took off...it was falling.  In the UK, prices were about to go -ve.

Coincidence....

After most WFH and making great savings during the lockdown it looks like a race for space since March 2020.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
20 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

After most WFH and making great savings during the lockdown it looks like a race for space since March 2020.

I think that's a very important factor. I've got a theory that a nice or big garden really helps sell a house right now, more so than pre covid.

Edited by Si1

HOLA449
HOLA4410
2 hours ago, Si1 said:

I think that's a very important factor. I've got a theory that a nice or big garden really helps sell a house right now, more so than pre covid.

Any kind of garden is nice.  I love to sit out in the sun of an evening, with some cold beer  (as I did during last Summer).  I can't imagine being holed up in a boxy house/apartment in a densely populated urban area with probably just a small concrete yard, or maybe not even that.

Will this make things like crappy little 'executive apartments' less desirable to buy?  Hard to say - people will see investment opportunities as for sure people will continue to rent them for proximity to work.  But I think people genuinely interesting in buying a place to live in will look for larger places with gardens, even if not ideally situated for work, especially if there is to be more WfH opportunity.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
17 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Starting to see some drops in asking round my way. Partly to do with summer holidays, I expect. 

The lower stamp duty cut is effectively over, witht he summer hols you got to be looking at 12/16 weeks to get a sale through now.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
18 hours ago, Si1 said:

Whoop whoop, my Garden is 1000m2+  100m x 10m , although i've never fully measured its true length as it's very over grown at the end bit where i dump my ride on mower grass clippings. I do know from the French patio doors to our 10 seater Garden Rondarval is 80m as i ran the cat5 cable for wifi.  

It's lovely up there, it sees sun from sun up to sun down as there is nothing tall enough, close enough, to cast it in shade. 

Thatched Garden Buildings, Thatched Gazebos, Julian Christian

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
19 minutes ago, msi said:

House prices dip as stamp duty holiday ends

House prices dipped 0.5% in June as the stamp duty holiday began to be phased out, according to the Halifax.

Prices rose 8.8% over the year, leaving average prices still more than £21,000 higher, following a broadly unprecedented period of gains.

Shouldn't that have it's own thread ?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
On 06/07/2021 at 17:06, TheCountOfNowhere said:

The lower stamp duty cut is effectively over, witht he summer hols you got to be looking at 12/16 weeks to get a sale through now.

This is what I think. There are a few asking price reductions at the area of the market I’m looking at.

Still bugger all choice though, which I’m hoping will improve come freedom Day. :)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

My rightmove alerts just sent me more reductions. I still think houses with gardens priced correctly will sell, but people aren’t desperately compromising and paying over the asking for sub-par properties. 

On the same street near me there are 4 semis on with the same footprint with a price difference of 500k between top and bottom. 

HOLA4424
HOLA4425