House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Portent

High Energy Prices 'dog Uk Firms'

Wow… GB has got himself into a position he cannot work from.

Drop rates to protect jobs short term whilst everyone borrows even more money and has tighter budgets in the future.

Or put rates up to cut expansion of personal debt, freeing people up for future spending but at the cost of thousands of jobs.

I really, really would not like his job at the moment. I cannot see him winning an election.

Why the hell his he peddling national security issues? I thought he was the chancellor? Maybe he can’t face being chancellor any more so is trying to distance himself from the economy.

Drop rates to protect jobs short term whilst everyone borrows even more money and has tighter budgets in the future.

Or put rates up to cut expansion of personal debt, freeing people up for future spending but at the cost of thousands of jobs.

I really, really would not like his job at the moment. I cannot see him winning an election.

Why the hell his he peddling national security issues? I thought he was the chancellor? Maybe he can’t face being chancellor any more so is trying to distance himself from the economy.

I am detecting some subtle distancing going on in the light of all the dismal economic news (especially unemployment). Brown seems to be more and more maginalised as if "they" are setting him up as the deserved "fall guy." Not too many photo ops with Brown and Blair together which might be expected if he really was to be the successor. Don't forget Blair is a much shrewder operator than Brown and can easily turn the tables once enough people see that the state of the economy is his fault. Anyone else noticing this?

The CBI is being dumb. They haven't grasped the realities of what is going on in the energy markets. They need to read:

http://www.princeton.edu/hubbert/current-events.html

Ken Deffeyes reckons we are now post-Peak Oil. Fiddling with interest rates won't solve the problems we now face. Not just high energy prices but the trade account going to hell as we have to import more oil and gas. In fact, dropping interest rates would make that worse by increasing imports. The only thing the government can do is provide leadership in the issue and give incentives to move ahead with energy conservation and investment in non-fossil fuel energy sources. Not that that will avert hard times for years, but it gets the ball rolling.

Edited by malco

Blair and Brown can spin all they like but cutting IR's will devalue the £Pound

Cooking the books on inflation has not stopped the £pound going down because the markets know what's going on and add to that the imminent petrodollar crisis then it does not take a scientist to see the pound dropping down to £1.00=1.10 Euro

Maybe Brown is being set up as the fail guy but you got to ask yourself if the Con’s throw the last election so that Labour would have to pay it’s own debts for the $hit they got us into.

Personally I would hang all the scum sucking politicians and start afresh. :ph34r:

Going by his track record, what do you think he would do ?

I am detecting some subtle distancing going on in the light of all the dismal economic news (especially unemployment). Brown seems to be more and more maginalised as if "they" are setting him up as the deserved "fall guy." Not too many photo ops with Brown and Blair together which might be expected if he really was to be the successor. Don't forget Blair is a much shrewder operator than Brown and can easily turn the tables once enough people see that the state of the economy is his fault. Anyone else noticing this?

If Blair is leaving midway through next year then this might be an indicator as to when the economy is going to tumble

November 2007 recession?

Maybe Brown is being set up as the fail guy but you got to ask yourself if the Con’s throw the last election so that Labour would have to pay it’s own debts for the $hit they got us into.

The Conservative party throwing an election?

I love the idea of this, and if was in the upper echeons of power I would have considered this, but in reality the tories were never in a position to win. It's not the sort of thing you can discuss openly, is it?

This is a conspiracy theory on a massive scale.

Expect to see three very hard years followed by a landslide win for the tories?

What have New Labour delivered? Wars and taxes?...!

the tories were never in a position to win. It's not the sort of thing you can discuss openly, is it?

They peddled a suspiciously dismal election campaign.

Did the tories throw the election?

I would have if I was them.

Why win and then take the flak and be out again after one term when you can wait and let labour be defeated for the next 20 years.... thats what it'll take for the UK public to forget what GB/TB left them.

I would not be surprised if they had thrown the election, they did not raise any contentious issues and didn't go aggressively after Blair at all even though he looked like a sitting duck :o

Cut rates? What the **** for? So that we can borrow more money to pay for a finite resource that is going to run out, and get more and more expensive as it does? Is it just me, or is this just insanity?

Did the tories throw the election?

I would have if I was them.

Why win and then take the flak and be out again after one term when you can wait and let labour be defeated for the next 20 years.... thats what it'll take for the UK public to forget what GB/TB left them.

I would not be surprised if they had thrown the election, they did not raise any contentious issues and didn't go aggressively after Blair at all even though he looked like a sitting duck :o

It looks like they're throwing the next one too. Actually in all seriousness I (as a lifelong Tory) would approve. Things will need to get a lot worse for Labour to be blamed for a decade of pain to follow when someone else gets in - and a decade plus of pain is what it's going to take. Whether Cameron or any other leading politician of his or any other party has what it takes is another matter. Which is partly why I chose England over Germany in the Thatcher years, and have chosen Germany over England for the next 10-15 years while the kids grow up.

Things will need to get a lot worse for Labour to be blamed for a decade of pain to follow when someone else gets in - and a decade plus of pain is what it's going to take. [We've gone]

'Only a slump can return us to power, says Howard':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../01/ntory01.xml

The Tories will find it almost impossible to win power again until there is a decline in the economy, Michael Howard says today.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph before next week's party conference, the outgoing leader says: "When most people are relatively content with their economic lot, it is very hard for an opposition to win elections."