House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Property Dreamer

The Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,59-2037452,00.html

Sir, The principal effect of “feminism” is (as Mr Blair says) “to get women back into the marketplace”, adding to the gross national product and the benefit of everybody. When I started work in 1953 my boss was a woman and at least two Whitehall departments were headed by women. They were not politically correct appointments, they were there on merit.

When I married my wife (a civil servant of not dissimilar grade to my own) in 1955 she gave up work. She could decide to do so because I could afford to keep both of us, two children, buy a house and a small car, and live a reasonably comfortable life. Thirty years later my son, on being asked whether his wife would continue working after they were married, replied that they could never afford to buy a house, let alone raise a family, on his salary alone. Of course not: as soon as double-income families became the norm, mortgage repayments became twice as easy and the prices of houses doubled. My wife had a choice whether to work: women of like status now have no such choice.

He is correct but it is only in the last 5 or 6 years where its has become impossible to repeat this exercise, why is that?