House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BuyingBear

Land Prices Drop As Farmers Flee

Land prices drop as farmers flee

Struggling farmers are deserting the countryside and causing the price of land to drop, according to a survey.

The cost of farmland has been falling for over a year, with sales down 50% since 1998, said the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).

The rural market is now dominated by families looking to escape city life.

Overall, land prices fell 5% during the final quarter of last year, with non-farming buyers outnumbering farmers for the first time since 2004.

Quite a contrast to this from July 2004 :-

Farmland prices 'hit record high'

The price of farmland has risen to a record high as more city dwellers seek a rural retreat, a report says.

During the past year, the price of farmland rose by 16%, claims the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.

Non-farmers made up nearly half of the sales in the last three months, buoyed by an increase in bonuses paid to high-earners in the City, said the group.

A spokesman said a key factor for buyers was "the common dream of owning part of the British countryside".

I might buy some up, any of you lot want to pretend to be my charming and inconceivably large pikey family for when the nice planning officer comes calling? :unsure:

Quite a contrast to this from July 2004 :-

I might buy some up, any of you lot want to pretend to be my charming and inconceivably large pikey family for when the nice planning officer comes calling? :unsure:

And if you do, and you want to build..

Turn environmentally friendly..

You are much more likely to be able to build an Eco house then a normal build..

Local councils have a quota of green builds that they get brownie points for if they meet..

And by this I do not mean Barret shoe boxes which disolve back into the ground in about 60 years..

Although build costs can rise, it does reduce the amount of energy you will use.. Some modern heat exchange systems that bury pipes and create energy from the temperature difference means that heating your water can cost a third of conventional gas..

Doesent have to be all grass roof and walls from recycled copies of the Environmentalist Weekly.

Do your bit.. ;)

Edited by apom

And if you do, and you want to build..

Turn environmentally friendly..

You are much more likely to be able to build an Eco house then a normal build..

Local councils have a quota of green builds that they get brownie points for if they meet..

In that case we'll drop 20 of them on the countryside overnight, the council should be well pleased!

Buy a small bit of land in the best area – we will all come up in caravans – pretend to be really ruff and through our rubbish everywhere, the local prices for land and houses will crash,

then we can all buy at the new low prices – and then house prices can return to a natural high again

Our own little house price crash

I'm honestly surprised at a drop given that the CAP is moving towards subsidies per hectare for doing nothing.

If the UK gets its way and the CAP is made less generous then I can see farm land values plummetting. Maybe there's something in the pipeline...

Many of the farmers I know have given up on arable, some are now in the process of giving up beef, most of the local dairy farms have gone, no-one can afford to expand as the returns are so poor. Farming RIP. I was going into it until I saw the writing on the wall about 10 years ago.

Many of the farmers I know have given up on arable, some are now in the process of giving up beef, most of the local dairy farms have gone, no-one can afford to expand as the returns are so poor. Farming RIP. I was going into it until I saw the writing on the wall about 10 years ago.

The only farming these days is of people, £333 raw cost for a plot, your house in the country, that'll be £700k please.

Delboypass

try these,

www.plotfinder.net/

http://www.buildstore.co.uk/affiliates/nat...ngplotregister/

www.plotsearch.co.uk (although this might be same as Buildstores site)

All of these are bona fide and not one of the landbank companies. Do not buy land without planning permission unless you have spoken to the local planning office and they have made positive noises. Land with pp is worth significantly more so why would someone sell you a bargain?

The next Edisons auction in Leeds has at least a dozen plots for sale which is unheard of in the last few years - it is mostly developers and small builders off loading uneconimcal plots so be careful on what you pay. www.edisons.com (downloadable pdf). I am sure other auction houses will be same. Plots of land in EA's are rare and probably not good as if they were good value the EA would have sewn up a deal with a developer (in the hopes of selling the built houses at a later date).

I know it may sound harsh but why should farmers have it any easier than the coal miners?

Farmers have been heavily subsidised under the CAP. (although our farmers are by no means as subsidised as the French).

If some farmers have to sell up it may give younger more dynamic farmers a chance to start up - maybe those who are currently agricultural labourers.

I suspect the future is organic low intensity farming... this may mean that some land is taken out of production (returning to the state it was before the war).

No, younger more dynamic farmers are not starting up - all the 'trained' farmers round here have gone - the most dynamic have gone abroad - Canada, NZ, France, Hungary. it was hard enough years ago when land was more reasonably priced. As for agricultural labourers entering the profession - I don't know of any (though I do know some who have become self-employed contracters.) Has our government forgotten the issue of food security?. The Labour people I know harbour a deep dislike for farmers - class enemies I suppose (even though many farmers are tenants - probably one of the toughest existencies I could imagine if you're paying a 'market' rent!) Didn't Marx write something about this? Organic is a good way forward - I agree.

Edited by gruffydd

The Labour people I know harbour a deep dislike for farmers - class enemies I suppose

Indeed, another reason why this government favours building in the cities, it's simple electoral politics so they reinforce their vote in depopulating inner-city areas, rather than dispersing it into rural constituencies.

Many on the old left dislike farmers on very deep ideological grounds, they think back to the collective farms and how farmers undermined Stalin and how the famines ensued. They're against collectivization my friends.

No, younger more dynamic farmers are not starting up - all the 'trained' farmers round here have gone - the most dynamic have gone abroad - Canada, NZ, France, Hungary. it was hard enough years ago when land was more reasonably priced. As for agricultural labourers entering the profession - I don't know of any (though I do know some who have become self-employed contracters.) Has our government forgotten the issue of food security?. The Labour people I know harbour a deep dislike for farmers - class enemies I suppose (even though many farmers are tenants - probably one of the toughest existencies I could imagine if you're paying a 'market' rent!) Didn't Marx write something about this? Organic is a good way forward - I agree.

I suspect food security has gone out the window... whilst we are no longer under threat of blockade.

Yes I get the impression that "Gentlemen Farmers" are seen as a class enemy as we are alone amoungst europe in having no peasant class to speak of. You're right about tenant farmers.

BTW I think the scrapping of the CAP might assist our farmers as they are by and large more efficient than continental farmers.

I suspect food security has gone out the window... whilst we are no longer under threat of blockade.

Yes I get the impression that "Gentlemen Farmers" are seen as a class enemy as we are alone amoungst europe in having no peasant class to speak of. You're right about tenant farmers.

BTW I think the scrapping of the CAP might assist our farmers as they are by and large more efficient than continental farmers.

At the risk of parrotting the Economist, there's no subsidies or CAP in NZ... despite forecasts of disaster, their faming industry is going well enough.

Sounds to me like labour are heading for a more level playing field rather than waging class war. Why subsidise farmers and not the steel and coal workers from a security PoV? Guns and butter and all that.

Edited by aussieboy

At the risk of parrotting the Economist, there's no subsidies or CAP in NZ... despite forecasts of disaster, their faming industry is going well enough.

Sounds to me like labour are heading for a more level playing field rather than waging class war. Why subsidise farmers and not the steel and coal workers from a security PoV? Guns and butter and all that.

I recall a program on the NZ farming experience and the lessons for the UK. The upshot was that banks will generally not forclose on farmers as it would undermine the security they hold over vast swathes of agricultural land!

Suspect land prices (like for like) are way lower in NZ - try investing 10,000 in an acrea and making that work - or how about 3,000 for a patch of Welsh bog or scrub - it's a total joke. I'd support the cutting of all subsidies if land prices dropped to realistic levels. Oh no, whoooooosh, there goes my inheritance.