House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
slater14

1 Job - Over 600 Direct Replies In 3 Days!

As I've mentioned before on HPC I've got myself this little eBay thing going and its getting up to a stage where I need a driver.....

I placed an advert in the local paper - readership 125,000

THE ADVERT RAN FOR ONE DAY

I was expecting around 30 or 40 calls over the Fri,Sat, Sun, Mon period so I put my mobile number in there (what the hell, I can handle a few extra calls a day...so I thought) :o:o:o

This is all for 1 yes thats correct, ONE job for a driver

Thur 215 calls - missed calls 89 voicemail FULL 50 messages

Fri 259 calls - missed calls 55 voicemail FULL 50 messages

Sat 187 calls - missed calls 51 voicemail 23 messages

Sun 28 calls - missed calls 5 voicemail 3 messages

Total Text Messages for 3 days 111

At 16:00 (sunday) I turned my phone onto voicemail.

Lets presume some (or even most) of these voicemails and messages and texts were from people trying the number several times.....I know they were'nt, but for the sake of argument let's presume they were.

There was some pretty run of the mill - no experience 'fancy a change' and 'I like driving' people...but the most interesting thing was how many plumbers, brickies, joiners, and courier guys from some pretty MASSIVE International companies all saying the same thing -

From the guys with YEARS of experience driving- I'm getting laid off, My hours have been cut, My pay has been cut, They're going bankrupt, I've been offered voluntary redundancy.

From the builders - Theres no work, I've been laid off, redundancy....etc.etc.etc

By the end of Friday night instead of being excited about my new driver I was absolutley sh!tt!ng myself thinking - "Just how bad is it out there" and "Have I made the right decision?" :o:o "If its that bad for the big boys, can I weather this storm?"

Just for comparison, around 3 years ago we placed an advert for a driver to ferry stuff about for the properties....30 replies.

and Gordons on the telly this morning smiling and telling me the country is growing and robust and jobs are being created faster than ever!...methinks not Gordy.

I expect the next stage to hit us very soon - FEAR as people slowly realise what this all means to their property prices, security and jobs.

we shall see.

Edited by slater14

nice work..

I am surprised but also not. I know a few people who do two jobs just to make ends meet :(

Actual examples listed

*Factory during week, Supermarket at weekend

*Office during week, Bar work at weekends

*Office during day (NHS), Fastfood shop evenings

*Office during day, Takeaway place part time evenings

*Office during day, Petrol station evenings

Edited by notanewmember

As I've mentioned before on HPC I've got myself this little eBay thing going and its getting up to a stage where I need a driver.....

I placed an advert in the local paper - readership 125,000

THE ADVERT RAN FOR ONE DAY

I was expecting around 30 or 40 calls over the Fri,Sat, Sun, Mon period so I put my mobile number in there (what the hell, I can handle a few extra calls a day...so I thought) :o:o:o

This is all for 1 yes thats correct, ONE job for a driver

Thur 215 calls - missed calls 89 voicemail FULL 50 messages

Fri 259 calls - missed calls 55 voicemail FULL 50 messages

Sat 187 calls - missed calls 51 voicemail 23 messages

Sun 28 calls - missed calls 5 voicemail 3 messages

Total Text Messages for 3 days 111

At 16:00 (sunday) I turned my phone onto voicemail.

Lets presume some (or even most) of these voicemails and messages and texts were from people trying the number several times.....I know they were'nt, but for the sake of argument let's presume they were.

There was some pretty run of the mill - no experience 'fancy a change' and 'I like driving' people...but the most interesting thing was how many plumbers, brickies, joiners, and courier guys from some pretty MASSIVE International companies all saying the same thing -

From the guys with YEARS of experience driving- I'm getting laid off, My hours have been cut, My pay has been cut, They're going bankrupt, I've been offered voluntary redundancy.

From the builders - Theres no work, I've been laid off, redundancy....etc.etc.etc

By the end of Friday night instead of being excited about my new driver I was absolutley sh!tt!ng myself thinking - "Just how bad is it out there" and "Have I made the right decision?" :o:o "If its that bad for the big boys, can I weather this storm?"

Just for comparison, around 3 years ago we placed an advert for a driver to ferry stuff about for the properties....30 replies.

and Gordons on the telly this morning smiling and telling me the country is growing and robust and jobs are being created faster than ever!...methinks not Gordy.

I expect the next stage to hit us very soon - FEAR as people slowly realise what this all means to their property prices, security and jobs.

we shall see.

Did you get my message?

Did you get my message?

...very funny :D:D

I havent had time to go through ALL the mesages yet, If I see or hear shakerbaby on the other end - I will file it my very special place.....the recepticle usually reserved for empty fag packets and other 'important' material. :D:D

Guest Charlie The Tramp

As I posted a few days ago overhearing a conversation in my barbers. Self employed guy with sub contractors claimed he had lost 12 big jobs since Christmas all to East European Tradesmen. Said he had a mortgage of 220k and a couple of his subcontractors 150k plus. More of this to come I`m afraid.

We advertised for a driver three years ago and got the sum total of six responses. Late last year we had a part time post on site based that got over 200 responses. I feel for you Slater, so many people who could do the job very well, who need the job or will be in very dire straits and yet YOU have to choose one. To quote another site :D lots of karma mate.

Did it sound like many of the applicants were from East European countries?

I'm not quite sure of the relevance of the question.....

From speaking to these guys on the phone there was only one I can think of who was most definitley from Eastern Europe.

There were several from 'that London' and I had a good chat with these guys as to how they found a job in the Mighty North West.....collegues at their base in Manchester had given them the number as they were being laid off.

There were also quite a few women who applied.

Most of these guys sounded like they were local manchester lads.....truthfully, I dont really care that much as long as we can work well together and he/she is productive.

I'm employing someone...not marrying them!

I was just wondering if migration was partly responsible, as a lot of them are willing to come here and do low-skilled jobs (I know a polish guy who has a masters degree in electrical engineering and spent a lot of time over hear just labouring).

We have a very large Polish population in Nottingham at the moment, who are extremely popular as they work so hard and to a fgood standard in anything they do. I wondered if this could skew the results.

If most of these as you said, were local lads, it doesn't bode well for the future

Edited by Mrliberty

But even in the boom massive numbers of job applicants were nothing new. Graduate entry level jobs paying 13-15k would get 200-400 applications in companies I've worked for.

What might be happing now is that even the McJob providers are slashing jobs and cutting back while in the boom them were providing low-paid employment for those who couldn't land anything better due to downsizing, offshoring, deskilling, etc. As so many of these jobs are debt-culture fluff in malls and leisure parks they could be gone in a flash, en masse.

How many believe we are already in a recession? When will Gordon "miracle economy" Brown admit it? (not until he is in No. 10--but can he keep it a secret until then?).

Yep, I believe we are in a recession. It looks like one, particularly consumer spending, and it smells like one (ie the fear which is gripping families).

I was rung up by my mechanic on Friday. He said the car was due for its service. I knew this was a load of nonsense as I had the whole lot done in November and cost a small fortune. I said, "are you sure, I think I had a service in November". He said he'd double check his records again. Then came back on the line and blatantly lied, saying the last service was in July. I told him he was a liar and he wouldn't be getting any more custom from me, ever!

Now, I'm wondering whether he was just trying to take me for a few quid thinking I'd forgotten or whether he's hard up.

P.S. Last month's credit card bill was only £100. Haven't been to a restaurant all year. Not going abroad this summer. Just saving every penny and watching these greedy retailers and over-indebted consumers bleed each other dry. SOLID ENTERTAINMENT!

I've mentioned it on another thread, but I've started to receive CVs through the post over the last few weeks. We're a small (IT) company and we're not advertising for anyone. All of the covering letters have mentioned redundancy. I concur with Mr 14, it has started to give me the willies!

Edit: (it's amazing how many IT people put "reading Terry Pratchett novels" under hobbies and interests)

Edited by Bear Goggles

Out of interest, was it a full time or part time position?

Either way whether it was full time (lots of unemployment locally) or part time (maybe lots of people looking for extra income, possiibly due to debt).. it's a scary number of replies.

BTW I've got a clean licence and can do IT stuff too ;)

Edit: (it's amazing how many IT people put "reading Terry Pratchett novels" under hobbies and interests)

Who what or where is Terry Pratchett?

From speaking to these guys on the phone there was only one I can think of who was most definitley from Eastern Europe.

Sorry, that was probably just me, I was obviously drunk.

I'm actually from Charterhouse.

Who what or where is Terry Pratchett?

From the latest CV (I shouldn't really) :unsure:

"I have been an avid follower of Terry Pratchett's works and enjoy reading and re-reading his Discworld novels. More recently, Robert Rankin has caught my attention and I'm rapidly reading my way through his entire collection. I have also written some websites for small businesses and friends as well as my own peronsal site."

But as I said - we're not looking for anyone at the moment!

I've mentioned it on another thread, but I've started to receive CVs through the post over the last few weeks. We're a small (IT) company and we're not advertising for anyone. All of the covering letters have mentioned redundancy. I concur with Mr 14, it has started to give me the willies!

For us (another small IT company) hasn't been for the last couple of weeks but for the last couple of years that we have had huge amounts of cv's sent. We haven't advertised for about 5 years (we go for word of mouth approach) but we are now at the point where we recognise the type of envelope from agents, and it goes in the bin unopened.

:D

One of my claims to fame is I work in IT and have never read any Terry Pratchett!