House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ʎqɐqɹǝʞɐɥs

Oracle Set To Fire 2,000 Workers

Haven't you heard?

"Ellison habitually pushes his credit limit of more than a billion dollars to pay off his yachts and homes"

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29397

PS I HATE FORMS, REPORTS, ARCHIVED LOG FILES AND ALL ORACLE INSTALLER PROGRAMS....

Simon warns Larry that Oracle share prices could go down as well as up.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

**it happens....

3% is small beer really; HP are getting rid of 10%......

Lot's of companies are overmanned and this happens during the good economic times. Then, when things get dodgy they let a few go, ho hum, it was ever thus! A lot of it is to do with pleasing the share holders, when Oracle have got rid of a few their price'll go up.

Sure, a lot of the work is going to go to the far east; but it can't all go.... The big s/w houses aren't going to be interested in dealing with sites who need just a couple of developers, not worth their while.

Frank

Yup. Its a reflection of what I'm seeing in the IT industry.

Yup....

I have found myself a nice little company where I am the network mananger.. not london wages.. but no chance of outsourcing..

Not great times

Well if the rest of their products are like the accounting software they deserve to lose all 55,000 of their jobs - it is so very sh-te.

Agreed. I have the misfortune of looking after an oracle database. It will crash randomly for entertainment purposes. As for making it more robust I've given up trying. Sql 2005 here we come.

Agreed. I have the misfortune of looking after an oracle database. It will crash randomly for entertainment purposes. As for making it more robust I've given up trying. Sql 2005 here we come.

I disagree. I support over 40 very large telecom ones and dont have much bother, certainly not crashing randomly.

I disagree. I support over 40 very large telecom ones and dont have much bother, certainly not crashing randomly.

Oh yes but properly setup oracle is not a problem. If however you don't have someone decent setting it up and managing it than SQL Server is a far less painful system to support.

Oh yes but properly setup oracle is not a problem. If however you don't have someone decent setting it up and managing it than SQL Server is a far less painful system to support.

Dont know much about SQL Server but I see what you mean.

Ordnance survey recruit their IT contractors from India. They work here and are flown over to work for £200 quid a day which is a darn site cheaper than a UK contractor!

I'm a programmer, and I'm worried for the short to medium term. I still think long term everything will level out.

Still on the plus, he did say some of them are sh*t !!

Edited by Come On Down

superb, if they can ever get Enterprise manager to refresh worth a damn..

"Did that work?"

"I have no idea, I think so... Try closing that application and re-opening it.."

Bugger me, half of this forum has jobs relating to Oracle (including me!)

WTF are Archiver Logs? Our system dies every so often due to these filling up. Pisses me off.

Still on the plus, he did say some of them are sh*t !!

Just some? The supply of 'programmers' in India is high and quality is absolutely dire. You get the occasional good one, but most have the attitude 'if it compiles ...'

superb, if they can ever get Enterprise manager to refresh worth a damn..

"Did that work?"

"I have no idea, I think so... Try closing that application and re-opening it.."

EM? - that's for girls - I use command line (hardcore)

Bugger me, half of this forum has jobs relating to Oracle (including me!)

WTF are Archiver Logs? Our system dies every so often due to these filling up. Pisses me off.

They are for database recovery - your system dies because oracle won't write to a full disk in order to maintain recoverability (ie the archive logs) - please don't tell me you manage your oracle database ;)

If your backing up your physical files every day then you only need to keep a weeks worth online - I clear them down every week

Thats £500 please...

Edited by dnd

EM? - that's for girls - I use command line (hardcore)

They are for database recovery - your system dies because oracle won't write to a full disk in order to maintain recoverability (ie the archive logs) - please don't tell me you manage your oracle database ;)

If your backing up your physical files every day then you only need to keep a weeks worth online - I clear them down every week

Thats £500 please...

No, my job is to write efficient SQL for reporting purposes. The other nonsense is for the Terry Pratchett readers :D

No, my job is to write efficient SQL for reporting purposes. The other nonsense is for the Terry Pratchett readers :D

I used to do a lot of that as well but not really neccersary now - the CBO is amazingly good from 9i onwards - if you update the schema stats regularly that is...

Informix is quick, simple and easy to support. When IBM tried to get rid of it, there was uproar and they backed down.

I used to do a lot of that as well but not really neccersary now - the CBO is amazingly good from 9i onwards - if you update the schema stats regularly that is...

Hmmmm, just don't let any one from BO on your live transaction server... they're likely to cause a stink (geddit?!?).

I had a wrangle with a Big Company we service and managed to BO was the source of their problems after their internal BO dude got all indignant when I politely asked what their session was doing at the time. Eventually I found the smoking gun. Happy days.

Oh, and you should know what archive logs are if you're writing efficient reporting SQL, if only for background.

I'm bored in my job, anyone got a better one they want to offer me?