House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Unemployment Is Rising - Ominously

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article....18&in_page_id=2

Economy hit by double whammy

Dan Atkinson, Mail on Sunday

12 February 2006

RISING unemployment and a moribund High Street are expected to be highlighted this week.
Unemployment, as measured by the claimant count,
rose every month
last year, beginning at 813,800 and ending at 909,100. But the broader measure of unemployment preferred by the Government has also started to rise.
Geoffrey Dicks, economist with Royal Bank of Scotland, said: ' Unemployment is rising - ominously - and more important than that, employment is falling - ominously
.'
Meanwhile,
inflation is being pushed
up by energy prices. Dicks said the Consumer Prices Index, now at the official target of two per cent, is heading for 2.2% for January.

P.S. Don't you love the colouful language they use in this article: "ominous" "double whammy" "sombre start" "miserable." Not the words Gordon "miracle economy" Brown want to read in his Mail on Sunday.

With a rising trend in unemployment and rising inflation (IR cannot fall) the VI spin on 2006 being anothert boyant year for house prices is looking decidedly ragged.

HPC 2006

With a rising trend in unemployment and rising inflation (IR cannot fall) the VI spin on 2006 being anothert boyant year for house prices is looking decidedly ragged.

HPC 2006

As I've stated before, one of the key signs I look for is unmployment in my own industry, IT. The first to get the chop are contractors and I know of several blue chips that are cutting back on their IT contractors.

I see tough times ahead, no matter how hard Brown tries to fudge the figures. He needs to come back to reality.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Not forgetting

Debt – the £1 trillion monster

12th February 2006

Chief executive Paul Mullins says: 'A lot of debt problems are triggered by sudden lifestyle changes - divorce or relationship break-up, loss of job or the birth of a child. People who were used to two incomes struggle to adapt to one.'

But he says there is also a big rise in 'creeping debt', where it accumulates and becomes unmanageable. Jenny says: 'Debt of £100,000 does not always mean a £100,000 lifestyle. Often those clients with the bigger debts are the ones who have tried hardest to repay and have spiralled deeper into debt as they borrow to keep up with other repayments.'

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article....18&in_page_id=2

Economy hit by double whammy

Dan Atkinson, Mail on Sunday

12 February 2006

RISING unemployment and a moribund High Street are expected to be highlighted this week.
Unemployment, as measured by the claimant count,
rose every month
last year, beginning at 813,800 and ending at 909,100. But the broader measure of unemployment preferred by the Government has also started to rise.
Geoffrey Dicks, economist with Royal Bank of Scotland, said: ' Unemployment is rising - ominously - and more important than that, employment is falling - ominously
.'
Meanwhile,
inflation is being pushed
up by energy prices. Dicks said the Consumer Prices Index, now at the official target of two per cent, is heading for 2.2% for January.

P.S. Don't you love the colouful language they use in this article: "ominous" "double whammy" "sombre start" "miserable." Not the words Gordon "miracle economy" Brown want to read in his Mail on Sunday.

HPC 2006

definitely!!!.......add to that the IR cut that never came to pass.I remember a lot of waffle from the mainstream press that rates would be CUT in feb....and were they???.nope.

...NOW the mainstream are saying..."it's may,wait till may!!"...but we all know what's coming before may now don't we boys and girls???....not a hope in hell of cutting rates when oil spikes up in march/april.

the bulls are going to get fed up waiting for the IR cut by then,and with many BTL under pressure I predict selling en masse to begin late spring/early summer.

Yea but 5% unemployment is still better than a lot of western europe

Doesn't matter. Its how the rise affects the UK economy.

Not the words Gordon "miracle economy" Brown want to read in his Mail on Sunday.

I don't suppose Gordon Brown reads the Mail on Sunday. What does the Fabian Review have to say about the state of the economy?

The Fabians are probably saying to Gordon "miracle economy" Brown: "See where Tory* policies have gotten you."

*My guess is that Maggie would not have fallen for the HPI "miracle" to avoid a recession as she tended toward being a "value" economist and a great friend of dear old Warren Buffet.