House Price Crash Forum

My friend came and told me the other day that they were told by the manager they might be closing stores in around 100 areas where boots chemists and alliance pharmacy stores overlapped. Though they have'nt set the criteria of what stores stay and what goes. This probably means skilled and semi skilled and proffessional job losses :(

Heres the memo

http://www.boots-ir.com/boots/announcement...nnouncement.pdf

"The Boards of Boots Group PLC and Alliance UniChem Plc welcome the decision

announced today by the Office of Fair Trading (“OFT”) not to refer the proposed

merger between the two companies to the Competition Commission provided that

satisfactory undertakings are given under section 73 of the Enterprise Act 2002.

The two companies will now work closely with the OFT to reach agreement on

appropriate undertakings to address the concerns of the OFT relating to the prospect

of the substantial lessening of competition in around 100 local areas."

More articles are here http://www.boots-ir.com/boots/announcement...ent/2005-10-03/

Guest muttley

If Boots really do close 100 stores then it is likely to be the larger department type stores.The smaller shops owned by Alliance are all likely to be viable.

There is a national shortage of pharmacist,so I wouldn't expect them to be out of work for long.There could be a problem for the larger store managers,who are nearly all pharmacists,but have usually not worked in a dispensary for years,and tend to be clueless.

To be honest I think Boots stores are rubbish,and I'm surprised they are only going to close 100.

To confirm this, my partner who works in a smallish independent pharmacy is saying that the boots pharmacy a couple of streets down from them is closing in the near future.

The owners of the pharmacy are happy as it will mean more trade for them.

"100 local areas"

that wording may mean more than 100 stores nationally. I dont know how many boots or alliance stores combined but that would mean a big chop in jobs not just in stores but at the warehouses, and adminstration headquarters, call centres, manufacturing, delivery etc, etc, Look at the Morrisons take over - they shut down the warehouses and jobs were lost.. <_<

Just rang my friend who said they are starting to use checking technicians - thus reducing the number of pharmacists a store needs. I pressume its cheaper that way too <_<

Edited by notanewmember

My local Sainsbury's has just opened a Pharmacy in its premises ...... who goes to the local chemist these days anyway ??

People who are too ill to drive into the countryside for an aspirin? :D

Someone told me an interesting stat once. Not sure where they got it from nor even if its true but apparantly on average each woman in the uk visits Boots at least once a week. :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Guest muttley

My local Sainsbury's has just opened a Pharmacy in its premises ...... who goes to the local chemist these days anyway ??

Your local Sainsbury will have had to have bought out a local pharmacy contract.Most people will simply use the pharmacy that is most convenient.That is usually the one nearest to the doctor's surgery.

Your local Sainsbury will have had to have bought out a local pharmacy contract.Most people will simply use the pharmacy that is most convenient.That is usually the one nearest to the doctor's surgery.

Most pharmacies and doctors have an agreement i.e. your prescription goes to the pharmacist where its ready for collection.

Tescos, Sainsburys, Asda et all have to much of a monopoly.

Guest muttley

Most pharmacies and doctors have an agreement i.e. your prescription goes to the pharmacist where its ready for collection.

Tescos, Sainsburys, Asda et all have to much of a monopoly.

Doctor's are not allowed to direct patients at present.I'm not saying it doesn't go on,but the supermarkets do not have a monopoly.

Guest Winners and Losers

Someone told me an interesting stat once. Not sure where they got it from nor even if its true but apparantly on average each woman in the uk visits Boots at least once a week. :blink::blink::blink::blink:

I love Boots. Can stay in there for literally hours. I can't explain it!