House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dog

Pensions/houses/jobs All In Crisis

Yep, been in power too long looking at the big picture and losing touch with little peoples' everyday concerns

Wake up to the threat of terrism? The threat that was made 100x worse due to the labour parties decision to invade iraq? muppets!

Wake up to the threat of terrism? The threat that was made 100x worse due to the labour parties decision to invade iraq? muppets!

Think getting rid of Saddam Hussein was a bad idea? How about this:

http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=afxnews&ar...&action=article

LONDON (AFX) - US military strategists are drawing up plans for an attack on Iran as a last resort to stop the Islamic republic from developing nuclear weapons, the Sunday Telegraph newspaper in London reported.

With London a prime target for terrorists I wonder if there will be another move out of London? How will greasing Iran affect oil prices? Prices will probably be affected less than if Iran sent a Nuke in a North Westerly direction.

Edited by Realistbear

Oh dear - he's sounding more and more like George Bush every day. Homeland Security, UK version of Patriot Act (databases with everyone's details accessible by both the state and companies), etc.

Of course, the cynic within me can't help feeling that he wants to ramp up all the fear and activity surrounding security in order to obscure, or at least dull, the pain coming from the impending economic crash and associated (or underlying) HPC.

Oh, and what has all this to do with the Chancellor, by the way? Actually, it's everything to do with him - hiding the disaster of the economy he's created; generating vast profits for the VIs of the defence / security industries (witness the massive discount given in the sale of 33% of 'Q branch' to the Carlyle Group - i.e Dick Cheney et al) to create his forthcoming electronic border defence programme; keeping the general population (aka the dumbed-down, binge drinking, debt ridden, fifteen A triple star A-level and Masters Degree in **** Scratching UK voter) too scared by Al Qu'eda under the bed to worry about all that boring politics stuff.

I despair.

LL

We lived with IRA threats for years. Today the threat of terrorism is tiny compared to the other risks of bad administration.

Violent crime

MRSA

Suicides

Botched operations

Dangerous driving

Poor care for the elderly

The government relies on gullible people who believe their spin about terrorism. It gives them the opportunity to enact repressive legislation.

We lived with IRA threats for years. Today the threat of terrorism is tiny compared to the other risks of bad administration.

Violent crime

MRSA

Suicides

Botched operations

Dangerous driving

Poor care for the elderly

The government relies on gullible people who believe their spin about terrorism. It gives them the opportunity to enact repressive legislation.

Nothing like greasing some underpowered nation to take people's attention off problems on the home front. A very typical politicians' ploy. How else is Gordon "miracle economy" going to make it to No. 10. That said, having Iran with Nuclear weapons may not be the best to keep a lid on WW3.

Sadly playing on the populations insecurity has become big business. Consulting to the government on security issues has therefore become big business.

Who'll take Gordon's job when he becomes PM? Based on what I've read here, it doesn't sound like a very popular post anymore. Balls?

btp

Sadly playing on the populations insecurity has become big business. Consulting to the government on security issues has therefore become big business.

Who'll take Gordon's job when he becomes PM? Based on what I've read here, it doesn't sound like a very popular post anymore. Balls?

btp

I'll take it on - the golden hello, large salary, golden feck off, generous gold-plated pension, subsequent non-exec directorships in blue chips etc. are all ample compensation - even if you're completely crap at the job - just look where GB has got!

Where do I apply? :)

Cheers

LL

I'll take it on - the golden hello, large salary, golden feck off, generous gold-plated pension, subsequent non-exec directorships in blue chips etc. are all ample compensation - even if you're completely crap at the job - just look where GB has got!

Where do I apply? :)

Cheers

LL

No, you need to be an MP first.

Did find this for you though.

->CLICKY<-

It's a shame, their old site was far more amusing. Looked like it had been designed by a guy in an Idaho trailer park.

btp

Did find this for you though.

->CLICKY<-

It's a shame, their old site was far more amusing. Looked like it had been designed by a guy in an Idaho trailer park.

btp

Thanks for the advice btp. When I expected to win €180m on the Euromillions last week I was wondering what I would do for a living. I thought that standing as an MP might be fun, possibly buying my place on the labour candidate list with a nice bung to the party. Even if I lost, I'd probably get a plum job as a Lord (check my username - definitely an aspiration for me!).

But I decided instead that I'd use the money to buy british justice in the High Courts and go around ruining the lives of the conmen you see on Watchdog etc. - that would be fun. :lol:

Cheers

LL

Think getting rid of Saddam Hussein was a bad idea? How about this:

http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=afxnews&ar...&action=article

LONDON (AFX) - US military strategists are drawing up plans for an attack on Iran as a last resort to stop the Islamic republic from developing nuclear weapons, the Sunday Telegraph newspaper in London reported.

With London a prime target for terrorists I wonder if there will be another move out of London? How will greasing Iran affect oil prices? Prices will probably be affected less than if Iran sent a Nuke in a North Westerly direction.

with the iranians due to open the new euro based petro-bourse on 20th March, the US is probably getting pretty desperate. IMHO the $ is vastly over-inflated and holders of US Debt are busy eyeballing each other to see who binks first before unloading. The discontinuation of M3 data shortly before the 20th (what a coincidence), will probably give them some breathing space until they run out of printing presses.

I think some kind of action against Iran before then is getting quite likely. The ayatollahs may even be trying to escalate the situation to provoke some kind of limited military attack and shore-up their weakening political support within the country.

RE:crashbears comments on american policy towards the middle east

I thought the idea of american foreign policy was to CREATE conflict - so they could syphon taxes off the indiginous plebs to fund "needed" military technology to fight the "enemy" (technology which eventually filters down to the commercial sector eg internet)

The fundemental thinking behind the american obsession with technology, and its funding, is that once you can measure something - you can control it

Terrorism problem? - well why not have everybody carry around a biometric id card - ie technology used to measure

Sorry to get a bit deep...

Edited by dnd

All you need is to be a mate of Tony:

He can make you a life peer and then promote you to ministerial office at the drop of a hat. As he did in making Lord Adonis and education minister.

It makes hereditary peerage look almost reasonable...

All you need is to be a mate of Tony:

He can make you a life peer and then promote you to ministerial office at the drop of a hat. As he did in making Lord Adonis and education minister.

It makes hereditary peerage look almost reasonable...

Yup, fair comment!

Thanks for the advice btp. When I expected to win €180m on the Euromillions last week I was wondering what I would do for a living. I thought that standing as an MP might be fun, possibly buying my place on the labour candidate list with a nice bung to the party. Even if I lost, I'd probably get a plum job as a Lord (check my username - definitely an aspiration for me!).

But I decided instead that I'd use the money to buy british justice in the High Courts and go around ruining the lives of the conmen you see on Watchdog etc. - that would be fun.

Lord Luggage, that seems a reasonable sport. Maybe this would be gainful employment for the hunt?

btp