House Price Crash Forum

Sunday Mail Ramps Up Property

FrozenOut

HOLA441

The Property section in todays Sunday Mail is ramping property after being generally subdued for the last 3 months.

The little thermometer with places rising and falling in HPi has made a comeback along with an article on the same page mocking the doommongers.

:(

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I saw a 'bumper edition' property suppletment in the local rag on Thursday.

In fact, I haven't seen so many properties on sale at one time for ages. Roll on HPC ...

Yes I've never seen this before - Spring is almost with us lots of property comes on the market.

HOLA446

The Property section in todays Sunday Mail is ramping property after being generally subdued for the last 3 months.

The little thermometer with places rising and falling in HPi has made a comeback along with an article on the same page mocking the doommongers.

:(

This is excellent news. Hopefully it will keep my father happy, since he discovered that his BTL flat won't achieve £1,000PCM but is only expected to achieve £750PCM.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I like reading the Mail - it's easy to digest - I just ignore the constant Tory and housing hype - it's a bit OTT in the main...

It's very OTT. Always trying to scare the self-appointed middle classes with stories about loony left councils, policemen who aren't interested in crime and political correctness. So OTT it lacks any credibility for me. I remember in the 70's they came up with ridiculous stories of how the black councillor, Bernie Grant, banned the use of the black in the council! A lot of people believe this garbage, and if you want an idea of the kind of people who read it, log onto Thisismoney and read all the Little Englander, "angry of Surbiton" type postings.

Particularly Wolvo and DadofMonkie.

HOLA4411

I had a quick scan through the mail today.

There was a double page piece on Anthea Turners sister who has just declared herself bankrupt. But, she still lives in her £400,000 house and has been given a 12 month break from her mortgage payments. The reason for her bankruptcy was a tax bill she could not afford to pay as ... wait for it ... she'd been unable to sell her BTL property! The BTL property is being repossesed.

Edited by Tester

HOLA4412

I had a quick scan through the mail today..............

Another interesting piece from todays Mail............

Economy hit by double whammy

Dan Atkinson, Mail on Sunday

12 February 2006

January figures for employment, retail sales and inflation are likely to provide a sombre start to the year, with higher petrol prices pushing up the cost of living as jobs are being lost and consumer demand seems to be weakening.

Unemployment, as measured by the claimant count, rose every month last year, beginning at 813,800 and ending at 909,100. But the broader measure of unemployment preferred by the Government has also started to rise.

Having fallen from 1.43m to 1.42m from June to August, it rose to 1.53m in the next quarter.

Geoffrey Dicks, economist with Royal Bank of Scotland, said: ' Unemployment is rising - ominously - and more important than that, employment is falling - ominously.'

It was not, he said, merely a matter of a rise in the claimant count, but of a net loss of jobs overall.

Nor is there likely to be much cheer on retail sales. Dicks said anecdotal evidence pointed to 'a significant drop in High Street activity' in January.

Peter Dixon, economist at Commerzbank, agreed. 'Consumers have taken their foot off the gas a little,' he said.

'Understanding what is happening in the UK today means understanding what is happening to the consumer. The trend in the High Street is towards weakness.'

The 0.4% rise in the volume of retail sales in December took the annual growth rate to four per cent. But, said Dixon, if the January figure were to show a fall of 0.2%, that would cut the annual rate to a 'pretty miserable' 2.9%.

Meanwhile, inflation is being pushed up by energy prices. Dicks said the Consumer Prices Index, now at the official target of two per cent, is heading for 2.2% for January.

thisismoney

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I scanned over the Turner story in the Mail and I got the impression that despite owing about 80K in taxes and being declared bankrupt that their lives had basically not changed at all? They are still living in their home and I got the impression from the article that they were not too fazed at all by being made bankrupt - the hubby, an actor, said he was still choosey about which acting jobs he took.

I found it all disappointing because I felt like a mug for not having got into enormous debt in recent years along with so many others. Stupidly, I worked out what I could and could not afford, worked all hours and saved, saved, saved but, perhaps, I would have been better off over-loading on credit and taking out an enormous mortgage - there appears to be no real punishment for those who get themselves into debt these days!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417