House Price Crash Forum
Guest Winners and Losers

Hpc Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Guest Winners and Losers

How many HPC'ers suffer from OCD? Are we just a bunch of obsessives, addicted to this site?? My husband is not happy with my property market obsession and thinks I have a very concerning disorder. Does anyone else ever feel, well, a bit manic?? :ph34r:

LOL!

Doesn't your husband have a subject or interest he spends lots of money or time on?

My best mate's husband is obsessive about golf. When he's not playing it in his "garden" (they bought a house backing onto a golf course), he's playing it on his PC. The room he plays it in is a mess, the living room is a mess, his tax return still hasn't been started nevermind filed but he's quite happy to sit there for upto 6 hours playing virtual golf.

He had a new addition to the family recently, a beautiful baby girl. I went to visit his wife in hospital and as I left he gave me the keys to his house and asked if I would be able to install his latest PGA Tour 2006 Golf game as he was having difficulty before he left!

Different strokes for different folks. Just as I can't understand why some guys spend hundreds of pounds and many weekends watching a piece of inflated leather being kicked around a field by millioniares in striped shirts I don't expect them to understand my love of this community and the discussions we have here. :rolleyes:

Tell your husband to stop boring you with the latest football results and you'll stop boring him with the latest Nationwide results!

:D

Guest Winners and Losers

:D:D:D

Spot on! He likes golf, loves football - but not nearly as obsessive as me! I just keep telling him that one day he will thank me! At least he does not pressure me to 'buy', like some of the 'missuses'. ;)

Yes, myself and at least a couple of others have been accused of obsessiveness, but hey, there are worse things - we could be Trekkies or something. Anyway, since finding ts site I feel much more clued up about economic issues in general, and find the subject much more interesting than I ever thought I would, even if it is driven by a certain amount of drip-fed Schadenfraude.

Guest muttley

My wife used to complain all the time.

She doesn't complain at all now that she is underneath the patio.

I have an addictive personality...I think this is one of the reasons I have stayed away from drink and cigarettes in my life.

As someone else proferred, there are worse compulsions you could have...I do find myself obsessing about economics too much for my own good though.

Better that than obsessing about which plasma screen or which colour I want an Audi TT in... B)

My husband is not happy with my property market obsession and thinks I have a very concerning disorder. Does anyone else ever feel, well, a bit manic??

Mine too!

Anyway, since finding ts site I feel much more clued up about economic issues in general, and find the subject much more interesting than I ever thought I would, even if it is driven by a certain amount of drip-fed Schadenfraude.

Me too!

Guest Winners and Losers

What a relief, I am not alone...., anyway, back to the main discussion forum for me - feeling a little obsessive..

My OCD "tendency" with the property market began in 2003 when I was trying to determine where the top of the market was when we sold in California to move back to the UK. We sold 12 months too soon--but iots hard to time these things exactly. I agree with the other poster that its better than destructive obsessions such as booze and drugs!

My wife used to get very annoyed with it but now that she sees the HPC happening its not so bad. We do want to buy another house somewhere in the West Midlands and our STR funds from California are sitting waiting for the right time. My guess is around 2008-09.

It would be interesting to have a poll on how many hours HPCers spend on this site a day--I am not computer literate enough.

Winners & Losers

I was really worried about how obsessed I am with HPC. A day doesn't go by without my logging in, if only to check the press articles.

I thought I would lose interest over time but apparently not.

There are worse addictions though - at least HPC is interesting & entertaining. I've learned lots from it about things I used to think were quite boring (eg exchange rates, real interest rates).

Maybe find a different forum for your hubby - to reflect whatever he's interested in (unless its something very dodgy that you don't want to encourage that is). There are forums for just about everything out there.

PS the only downside of finding him a different forum is that you might end up squabbling over who gets to use the computer - like we do ...

Edited by geranium

My husband is not happy with my property market obsession and thinks I have a very concerning disorder. Does anyone else ever feel, well, a bit manic??

I just come on here to get away from the nagging! :lol:

Winners & Losers

I was really worried about how obsessed I am with HPC. A day doesn't go by without my logging in, if only to check the press articles.

same here am a bit of a housepricecrashaholic, thougth going on holiday for a week with no internet would cure me but soon as I was back home and back to the grindstone, I was back on the site like a flash... :ph34r: I really need to go cold turkey for a few months.... :blink:

My wife used to complain all the time.

She doesn't complain at all now that she is underneath the patio.

:lol::lol::lol:

I think HPC OCD is possibly the most constructive and educational kind of OCD there is!

What could be better than learning about the real world economy and debating the pros and cons with similar minded people who are (generally) quite smart, reasonable and open minded about these matters.

Personally if your husband doesn't see this maybe you should sit him down and explain how many thousands of pounds you might be able to save through better economic understanding...

And I'll bet you're not desperately keen for you and spouse to upgrade in property or MEW anytime soon - like a sensible person!

Your hubby should be proud of having a financially literate and interested wife! My ex-gf used to ignore me the second I mention 'the economy' saying it was boring and didn't matter to her... I did try to explain it mattered to everyone but by the time I finished my sentence she'd gone to the pub :D

- Pye (Property Speculation Ninja :ph34r: )

I think HPC OCD is possibly the most constructive and educational kind of OCD there is!

What could be better than learning about the real world economy and debating the pros and cons with similar minded people who are (generally) quite smart, reasonable and open minded about these matters.

My ex-gf used to ignore me the second I mention 'the economy' saying it was boring and didn't matter to her... I did try to explain it mattered to everyone but by the time I finished my sentence she'd gone to the pub :D

Couldn't agree more!

I remember when I first became interested in politics / political debate, people said to me "You need to get out more, you need to get a hobby".

What they actually mean is that something can only be legitimately (in their eyes) be described as a hobby if it is entirely frivolous and has no serious side.

Anything with a serious side or a practical real world use seems to be seen as geeky.

The fact that most people see a genuine interest in either politics or economics as unhealthy says a lot about how dumbed down some people have become.

Guest Winners and Losers

:D:D:D:D

I've said it before, and I'll say it again (and again, and again, and again, stop it, stop it, wash your hands) - sorry everyone -

Education is expensive (timewise on HPC), but Ignorance is more expensive

Hardly surprising there are so many keen members on this site - we are all concerned about making what amounts to the biggest financial mistake/commitment in our lives.

Indeed, if things go as we believe they will, it'll be interesting to know how much money will actually have been saved as a result of advice given on this website... ;)

Mine too!

Anyway, since finding ts site I feel much more clued up about economic issues in general, and find the subject much more interesting than I ever thought I would, even if it is driven by a certain amount of drip-fed Schadenfraude.

Me too!

Seconded!

Hubbys obbession is Japanese films, least mines cheap (as long as you ignore my handbag collection :ph34r: )