House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Portent

Energy Prices Threaten Growth

Guest Bart of Darkness
oil and gas prices have been sent rocketing by record demand and political instability in places such as Iraq, Iran and Nigeria.

Nothing to do with the stuff getting scarcer?

Yeah. They had a feature energy prices on News 24 in the wee small hours of the morning.

Interview with Cairne Energy's chief, where he "expected oil, already at $60 to go to over $100 over the next few years".

I think he's very much understanding the situation! Oil demand will roughly DOUBLE over the next 20 years through China and other industrialising countries. That's going to add a lot more than 50% to oil prices. While I'm a little bearish on oil in the short term (I think we could easily return to the $40's this year, as current prices have been propelled more through the hurricanes & geopolitical uncertainty), the long term fundamentals are still firmly in place for oil to reach triple figures and then some..

Yeah. They had a feature energy prices on News 24 in the wee small hours of the morning.

Interview with Cairne Energy's chief, where he "expected oil, already at $60 to go to over $100 over the next few years".

I think he's very much understanding the situation! Oil demand will roughly DOUBLE over the next 20 years through China and other industrialising countries. That's going to add a lot more than 50% to oil prices. While I'm a little bearish on oil in the short term (I think we could easily return to the $40's this year, as current prices have been propelled more through the hurricanes & geopolitical uncertainty), the long term fundamentals are still firmly in place for oil to reach triple figures and then some..

I very much doubt we will be seeing oil in the $40's this year.supply is tight and is going to get tighter for a while yet......a few US refineries are going off-line this month to get adapted to ULS,so we are fortunate in having a fairly mild winter.

I think that down towards $40(maybe below) is a possibility around late '07/ early 08 as uk/us consumer nosedives and extra supply comes online concurrently....but by then I'll be pretty heavily into tech shares again!