House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Str Q

I opened an account specifically to sell some old Barclays shares I had left over from a stint working for them. I got a worse price than I expected as apparently they do the 'wet behind the ears newbie' buying and selling first. As a result stock market 'gambling' with my pot would worry me. ING is 4.5% and while unspectactular is safe. I have been thinking about Coal though, might be a good long term investment.

Edited by 2112

I take it the Dubai shout is a gag. That is in madness mode at the mo and many Brits cannot sell at all due to the gigantic overdevelopment. In terms of multiples etc the stock market is still not really overvalued and is expected to boom again this year esp cos with international exposure/profits. I have my savings with a bunch of funds (well managed ones) eg my Fidelity special situations fund had gone up 43% in last 15 months...although that is a growth fund

I'd put your str fund (if it were mine!) in a blend of stocks via managed funds, premium bonds (up to 30k) and cash in high interest a/c.

Yep - was watching a progamme about a new development on land the shape of a palm tree out jutting out into the ocean (to be built on dredged sand). Looked totally insane - I wouldn't mind paying the place a visit though - sounds very interesting!!!!!!!

What about the risks of a collapse in the value of the dollar / pound????????????

Edited by gruffydd

Yep - was watching a progamme about a new development on land the shape of a palm tree out jutting out into the ocean (to be built on dredged sand). Looked totally insane - I wouldn't mind paying the place a visit though - sounds very interesting!!!!!!!

What about the risks of a collapse in the value of the dollar / pound????????????

You cannot hide from risk!

Mix it up and trust the law of averages.

Putting the cash in a savings account won't insulate you from a £ collapse!

I saw this program on the discovery channel, very interesting it was. Major overdevelopment going on over there!

STR cash is sitting safely (and boringly) in the bank. I have other 'gambling' money.

STR is starting to look like a particularly good move as house prices in Harrogate and area seem to be falling quite quickly. All those bulls who have taken the pee over STR can go and reconsider their opinions. (I can't believe how polite I am being).