House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BandWagon

High Street Discount Chains Fail

4500 jobs at risk...

The worsening conditions on the high street have claimed their largest victim this year, with the owner of the QS and BWise discount shops collapsing into administration, putting 4,500 jobs under threat.

And it's going to keep getting worse.

Sales fell 12% in January.

The economy is deteriorating at quite an alarming rate now.

It's no longer a question of whether there will be a crash, it's a matter of how bad things are going to get.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../ixcitytop.html

4500 jobs at risk...

It's no longer a question of whether there will be a crash, it's a matter of how bad things are going to get.

A further 400 jobs were put at risk as JL French Automotive Castings, the British unit of a Canadian-owned auto-parts firm, filed for bankruptcy. The company is based at Witham, Essex.

4500 jobs at risk...

very true, everyone i talk to in my area keep saying that there isnt much work about etc :blink:

this is quite worrying. each week there is another company going into adminstration. Surely things arent that bad??? How come the news papers or TV news bulletins are not picking up on this? This is becoming a regular event.

Edited by notanewmember

Guest Bart of Darkness

this is quite worrying. each week there is another company going into adminstration. Surely things arent that bad??? How come the news papers or TV news bulletins are not picking up on this? This is becoming a regular event.

Don't worry. When Prudence Brown loses his job, then it will be considered newsworthy.

Otherise it's just a load of "doom mongering" [sic] by a small minority.

There are none so bullish as those who will not see.

Because the new jobs created that causes employment to go up are skewing the figures.

Unfortunately 5 Polish 'gap year' students getting a job in McDonalds isn't really the same as 5 full time skilled jobs going at a manufacturing plant.

But hey...this is Gordon's miracle economy.

We don't need to work.

We can all live off the proceeds from our BTl flats and if things get really tough we can rent out that holdiay home in Spain for the Summer.

The East Eurpeans can work and pay taxes....the public sector can spend the tax money and the rest of us can just sit on the sidelines watching it all unfold.

dubbi dum dum dum.

another one bites the dust-a..!!

dubbi dum dum dum.

another one bites the dust-ow..!!

and another one gone, another one gone.

another one bites the dust-cha.!!

hey, im gonna sack you too,.

another bites the dust.

bedopeeday. arghhhhh..!!

check out my bad self.

I think its psychological.

Most people have perceived wealth. Why ruin it by reporting on the actual state of affairs?

I think its the denial stage.

4500 jobs at risk...

The welcome demise of a tat shop or two is not evidence that the economy is deteriorating at an alarming rate. You may have missed it, but this week RR posted profits up 49%.

The welcome demise of a tat shop or two is not evidence that the economy is deteriorating at an alarming rate. You may have missed it, but this week RR posted profits up 49%.

Also the rise of pound strechers and pawn shops are normally talked about on here as a consequence of a recession / down turn.

I have a sales agency where my task is to find outlets for various products.Many of my customers are retailers.The down turn for some started in 2004 and now the majority are complainimg that things are starting to look quite sticky.

The products I represent are very varied and take in a lot of different markets but not one market is looking very strong.To add to the problem,many products are half the price they were some few years ago due to the fact they are sourced from either India or China.

In my opinion, this just the start!

Hi notanewmember,

I'm not sure how old you are so I dont whther you saw this last time round -

The papers and telly didnt really pick up on it until it was already into absolute freefal.

Where the weather slot is on the news now, there used to be the newsreader stood in front of a board and it had a big RED arrow pointing down jobs lost

....then the newreader used to go into some detail about anther 26,000 redundancies at this factory and so on and so on...

Then used to come the GREEN arrow pointing up - jobs created

...and I kid you not, on NATIONAL NEWS AT TEN they would talk about 45 jobs being created at the Sunblest bread factory!

Anyone in their 30's or over will remeber this very well....it was even a running joke on Not the 9 o'clock news.

Hi notanewmember,

The papers and telly didnt really pick up on it until it was already into absolute freefal.

Where the weather slot is on the news now, there used to be the newsreader stood in front of a board and it had a big RED arrow pointing down jobs lost

....then the newreader used to go into some detail about anther 26,000 redundancies at this factory and so on and so on...

...and I kid you not, on NATIONAL NEWS AT TEN they would talk about 45 jobs being created at the Sunblest bread factory!

Anyone in their 30's or over will remeber this very well....it was even a running joke on Not the 9 o'clock news.

Indeed. It took the Major government to accept that the UK was in recession - they used some other euphemism for years IIRC.

Hi notanewmember,

hehe thanks.

I am 27 so dont remember those job forecasts well. Or it was way past my bedtime. :lol:

Dark side of living like kings in Never-Neverland

Like drunks chasing a drink, a disturbing number of those who could least afford to carry on consuming found ways to do so. Shutting out worries about imprudence, they turned to their flexible friend: Plastic Fantastic.

Figures this week from Visa, which suggest that spending on credit cards fell last year by 3pc, don't tell the full story. Not least because, as an aggregate, they fail to distinguish between the majority of borrowers, who are managing their liabilities, and a significant minority, who are drowning in a cruel sea of unsecured debt.

According to Callcredit, a credit agency, the most indebted 10pc of people are not just failing to cut their borrowings, they are increasing their debts by about 30pc per annum.

It's the 21st-century version of Disraeli's Two Nations.

In the book Empire of Debt: The Rise Of An Epic Financial Crisis, a compelling study of financial incontinence, joint authors Bill Bonner and Addison Wiggin identify a modern mindset that encourages the hyper-active borrower to spend his way to ruin: "He wants a big-screen TV so badly he's willing to go into debt to get it … But we suspect his preference rests on either delusion or fraud.

"The preference assumes he will give up spending in the future for spending in the present. Most likely he expects to give up neither."

Bonner and Wiggin are writing largely about the US, but their analysis applies equally to Britain. In last month's National Savings survey, about one in 10 respondents said they were not saving more because they would "rather live for the moment".

cont.