House Price Crash Forum

Petition Government to Report N.I House Price Data Monthly

As per title, why is the N.I data published quarterly versus the rest of the UK which is monthly? Makes no sense and is geographically biased

Purchasing property is probably the largest expense in anyone's life. The data for NI should be reported like the rest of the UK so that people have the data there to make informed decisions. 

With just 10,000 signatures it will ''get a response from the government'' [source: https://www.gov.uk/petition-government]

Any interest, do you think it feasible that we could get 10k signatures??

Dave

18 hours ago, Data Dave said:

As per title, why is the N.I data published quarterly versus the rest of the UK which is monthly? Makes no sense and is geographically biased

Purchasing property is probably the largest expense in anyone's life. The data for NI should be reported like the rest of the UK so that people have the data there to make informed decisions. 

With just 10,000 signatures it will ''get a response from the government'' [source: https://www.gov.uk/petition-government]

Any interest, do you think it feasible that we could get 10k signatures??

Dave

I think you would be better in the first instance, to fire an email off to the statistician responsible (Ciara Cunningham) for the report to ask why the report is produced quarterly. Then work from there. 

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if there was a plan somewhere to move to monthly.

26 minutes ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

fire an email off to the statistician responsible

Done

''Ciara why is the NI data reported 'differently' [quarterly] to the rest of the UK, there is clear geographical bias here?''

12 minutes ago, Data Dave said:

Done

''Ciara why is the NI data reported 'differently' [quarterly] to the rest of the UK, there is clear geographical bias here?''

I expect the reason is due to "anonymity". They obscure the data on the report when it gets to a level where you point to individual sale prices. Obviously in GB it's not an issue as individual sale price is available online via land registry. Monthly here might result in lots of useless blanks particularly during lower transaction months. If all you're after is sub-regional average then I don't see the problem. 

Really what should be happening is our land registry should move with the times. 

So ive had an email reply, which I wont copy and paste incase there is any data issues involved with doing so, but I will paraphrase as per below:

• The NI HPI is reported quarterly as there aren't enough sales in NI to report 'a robust price index on a monthly basis'
  • They state there is no geographical bias, the UK adopted the NI HPI methodology in 2016 but decided to carry on publishing the UK HPI monthly as was the case pre 2016.
  •  The NI HPI ties in with the UK HPI in the 3rd month of the quarter which should be the most reliable month of a quarter (3 months)
  • The NI HPI alongside the UK HPI were critically reviewed from conception to final publication by the Office for Statistics Regulation and achieved the highest accolade when they were awarded National Statistics status in September 2018. 

13 minutes ago, Data Dave said:

So ive had an email reply, which I wont copy and paste incase there is any data issues involved with doing so, but I will paraphrase as per below:

• The NI HPI is reported quarterly as there aren't enough sales in NI to report 'a robust price index on a monthly basis'
  • They state there is no geographical bias, the UK adopted the NI HPI methodology in 2016 but decided to carry on publishing the UK HPI monthly as was the case pre 2016.
  •  The NI HPI ties in with the UK HPI in the 3rd month of the quarter which should be the most reliable month of a quarter (3 months)
  • The NI HPI alongside the UK HPI were critically reviewed from conception to final publication by the Office for Statistics Regulation and achieved the highest accolade when they were awarded National Statistics status in September 2018. 

I thought you might get a response like that. We need the LR to get online. 

I'd expect a copy and paste response to a 10k signature petition.

Edited by 2buyornot2buy

Well even to make the whole UK HPI more timely, as lagging by 2 months in this day and age isn't exactly 'up with the times'. They can do it as they produce all the gold data monthly, ok a different MO, but never the less.