House Price Crash Forum

Working from home dies a death - remote switches to hybrid... lots of people in trouble because of unworkable commutes

28 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Fair enough, at that sort of level where it would require micro-managing to keep someone busy all day if they didn't that's reasonable.

The sad thing is that level of micro managing creates more work for managers because their staff are scared of being shouted at if they do the wrong thing - so do nothing!

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

Blatantly unfair T&C's of employment.  Getting staff to locations other than their home office is part of the cost of doing business.  I trust the the execs who came up with this will now pay for their own travel and accommodation😄

They would be savaged in a tribunal for charging company outlay to employees.

Sounds like a firm in a tailspin or race to the bottom.  Avoid/Leave.

Or just think HR/management.

Never discount those.

6 hours ago, spyguy said:

Sadly for companies, capital is cheap and easily resourced.

Its the peoples with skills that are  the bottle neck.

Are people with skills really the bottleneck?

Have you ever wondered why the jobs that nobody wants to do....are paid the least? When in theory they should pay the most?

1 hour ago, phantominvestor said:

Have you ever wondered why the jobs that nobody wants to do....are paid the least? When in theory they should pay the most?

Most difficulty, unpleasant jobs used to attract a premium - until ~5m Eastern Europeans turned up in the 00s.

The large bacon factory used to be a good place for no/low skilled locals to get work and some well paid overtime

Now the factory - and the small town - is pretty much all EE.

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Most difficulty, unpleasant jobs used to attract a premium - until ~5m Eastern Europeans turned up in the 00s.

The large bacon factory used to be a good place for no/low skilled locals to get work and some well paid overtime

Now the factory - and the small town - is pretty much all EE.

Live the dream, move to the UK and work in a small town bacon factory.

41 minutes ago, Tiger131 said:

Live the dream, move to the UK and work in a small town bacon factory.

Be v low skilled EE, move to UK, get TCs plus job.

Move back to Poland with lots of money.

11 hours ago, cbathpc said:

I think thats what everyone wants really. Pop into the office as and when.

However, how could that possibly ever work? Offices are expensive and keeping them open for the odd person popping in when they fancy a few drinks out in the city after, surely won't work 

What about all the people who still want to go to the office a fair amount? People who live in small homes, or share with noisy people, etc.? They may be in a minority, but I reckon they will be a big minority.

5 minutes ago, Young Turk said:

What about all the people who still want to go to the office a fair amount? People who live in small homes, or share with noisy people, etc.? They may be in a minority, but I reckon they will be a big minority.

My favourite place to do some paperwork on my laptop is my local wetherspoons between 9am and about 1130 with a refillable coffee and that nice soft cafe sound and ambience. Something about it helps me concentrate more than home or office. But it's not common you get that option!

2 minutes ago, Si1 said:

My favourite place to do some paperwork on my laptop is my local wetherspoons between 9am and about 1130 with a refillable coffee and that nice soft cafe sound and ambience. Something about it helps me concentrate more than home or office. But it's not common you get that option!

I'd imagine 'spoons would stink of stale beer and body odour from the previous nights clientele. 

20 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

I'd imagine 'spoons would stink of stale beer and body odour from the previous nights clientele. 

Maybe I'm too scummy to notice. If my understanding of spoons as a business is correct, then they probably have forensic cleaning routines. Their business model depends, alongside other things, on mixed use of their properties throughout the day.

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

Spoons have carpets, which gives nice muffled accoustics - nothing worse than harsh echoes.

However spoons have carpets ... which smell of what was spilled the night before.

7 hours ago, phantominvestor said:

Most of the highest paid jobs are jobs that need very high levels of training and skill.

Of those jobs, many with the capability to train to that level in that area don't want to do them.

Most people who could be a surgeon, don't want to be a surgeon, for obvious reasons, the sheer nail-biting responsibility. Plenty of great med grads end up as GPs for exactly this reason.

Most people who could design super-computers don't want to, because it requires a level of attention to detail and nerdishness most people are not interested in sustaining for 30 years.

Most people who could be awesome corporate lawyers or investment bankers don't want to, because of the requirement to sacrifice ones private life to work and/or the fear that its soul destroying and all about greasy ladder climbing.

A job in a bacon factory is similar in one of those dimension. Few people would want to do it (like the roles above), but very many could do it unlike to the roles above.  That is the difference. When enough people who can do a job compete for it, the pay will be low, regardless of its unpleasantness (as long as its not life threatening). If you are good at a job in a bacon factory (which amounts to turning up reliably and working hard) then it will offer better security than a similarly paid job which is more popular.

5 hours ago, Young Turk said:

I’m one of those. I’m definitely not part of the ‘everybody wants egg with the option to pop into the office’.

I want to work in the office, full stop. 

8 hours ago, scepticus said:

Most of the highest paid jobs are jobs that need very high levels of training and skill.

Of those jobs, many with the capability to train to that level in that area don't want to do them.

Most people who could be a surgeon, don't want to be a surgeon, for obvious reasons, the sheer nail-biting responsibility. Plenty of great med grads end up as GPs for exactly this reason.

Most people who could design super-computers don't want to, because it requires a level of attention to detail and nerdishness most people are not interested in sustaining for 30 years.

Most people who could be awesome corporate lawyers or investment bankers don't want to, because of the requirement to sacrifice ones private life to work and/or the fear that its soul destroying and all about greasy ladder climbing.

A job in a bacon factory is similar in one of those dimension. Few people would want to do it (like the roles above), but very many could do it unlike to the roles above.  That is the difference. When enough people who can do a job compete for it, the pay will be low, regardless of its unpleasantness (as long as its not life threatening). If you are good at a job in a bacon factory (which amounts to turning up reliably and working hard) then it will offer better security than a similarly paid job which is more popular.

+1

1 hour ago, Shamus said:

No from yesterday evening so being debated and maybe set in law. 

Can't see the VI's in WM passing this. All those investments in industrial/office properties going down the pan?

Of course, they might have already "diversified" their portfolio in preparation.....

Jebus, this site makes me reach for the TFH!

Edited by AThirdWay
clarity

14 hours ago, scepticus said:

Shouldn't there still be a premium on the bacon factory versus a coffee shop?

There's plenty of people for both but the coffee shop is preferable to the bacon factory.

29 minutes ago, phantominvestor said:

Amazon warehouses would be a better example. You know you've hit rock bottom if you work in an Amazon warehouse.

No that’s luxury. I worked 6 months in a meat factory on split shifts once. That was an eye opener and gave me valuable life experience like how to avoid upsetting the craziest people 🤪

19 hours ago, Young Turk said:

To be honest I agree. I actually quite like popping in a few times a week even now. Something about the thought of sitting alone in my back room for the next 30 years fills me with dread.